Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Background Pony #8403
@Metro_Offset  
Nothing you’ve said disproves slavery as the backbone of southern economy, nor what contribution slave labor made to the building of the US, no matter how much you try to deny or mitigate.
Background Pony #8403
@Metro_Offset  
Explain the rampant prejudice in the 19th to 20th centuries against Irish, German, and Italian immigrants, long before WWII.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Metro_Offset

Ok, so what do you prefer: vegemite or marmite? One of them is an integral part of my culture, and the other one is a disgusting “”“foodstuff”””. I refuse to live anywhere where one of them isn’t considered an important part of breakfast.
Metro_Offset
Duck - Ducks should be a majority on Derpi and thus in charge.

@Background Pony #8403  
Of course it does. Slavery contributed to single digit GNI and GDP, was quickly replaced, did not cause an economic meltdown once it was gotten rid of and the wealth it did generate was trapped within the slave system itself, contributing to poor conditions in the South and quickly evaporating when it was abolished. It was false wealth. It helped a wealthy few. Its telling that you have not made a single argument that slaves did build this country or were an economic backbone. All you can do is cope.

@Background Pony #8403  
There was certainly prejudice. My point is that race trumps culture. Despite cultural differences and friction, white immigrants could be assimilated quickly because of their race. Blacks and Natives were here before the Irish and the Germans, but were not assimilated in the same way, because they are a different race. To this day they have not been assimilated in the same way Irish or Germans or Italians have.
Armagedonus
Duck - Thinks minorities should make their OWN ponds if they want to swim.

@Ebalosus  
I never had either of them.  
How does they taste like?

@Background Pony #8403  
I think that “rampant prejudice” came from the fact that pre-ww2 Europeans constantly fought themselves and European immigrants also transfered their grudges from Europe when they came to USA.  
After enough time had passed then Europeans in USA stopped having contact with Europe and stopped having reason to hate themselves.
Latecomer

@silbasa  
There are stabbings, but I don’t know by who. Groomers here and there, of all colours. Dunno of any shariah patrols.

@Armagedonus  
It means as a result of people’s free and normal behaviour and not, say, ethnic cleansing. And I say it is.
Background Pony #8403
@Metro_Offset  
In the same way that low end workers do more of the actual labor for a company like, say, Enron than the head (Kenneth Lay).

The replacement to slavery, the sharecropping system, was effectively slavery-lite. The South tried their damndest to make conditions for blacks in comparison to whites as close as possible to those experienced before the Civil War. They were deeply invested in black subservience.
Latecomer

@Metro_Offset  
Whites are not going to become heavy reproducers. And mass deporation - indeed, resisting immigration - is not really feasible.

And it’s in the interests of everyone whites have kept down. (Well, unless it just turns them more and more aggressive, because they can’t handle not being on top.)

@Metro_Offset  
BECAUSE WHITES DIDN’T WANT TO LET THEM BE!
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@Metro_Offset

Then how can I, as a white person, integrate into a “white culture” that considers one of my cultural foodstuffs “gross”? That’s just a single foodstuff that separates us. When those things cumulate, how can you say that white people are analogous?
Armagedonus

@Latecomer  
What kind of “free and normal” behaviour leads to a majority become a minority?  
If you ask a person from majority if they “want to become a minority in their own country”, then the answer is almost always no. Regardles of race or ethnicity of said majority.  
Seriously, what the fuck are you talking about? Please explain yourself.

@Ebalosus  
Stop dramatizing, you can always eat another foodstuff.  
Or import it via internet.
Latecomer

@Armagedonus  
As seen in America, some groups reproducing less than others of their own free will.

And I feel they will care less the less being a minority in their country sucks. Of course in America it sucks a lot.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@Armagedonus

Why should I have to eat another foodstuff? Don’t you care about my white culture? Vegemite and marmite are important parts of my culture, like putting beetroot on burgers. If New Zealand stopped existing tomorrow, would you ensure that Pakeha like myself whom survived its destruction still had access to cultural foodstuffs that make up a part of their identity? If not, why not? Is white New Zealand culture not worth preserving?
Metro_Offset

@Background Pony #8403  
Slaves did labor? That’s crazy.

But yeah, obviously the point is the wealth from the labor was trapped in the system and quickly evaporated when slavery was abolished. How it did so was very specific to slavery, in that the slaves themselves were capital because they were property that would self reproduce. It didn’t contribute much to the US economy or the poor southern economy. It was never an economic backbone.

@Latecomer  
But again, there was prejudice against other groups for a while. But eventually this stopped and there was assimilation. This has never happened with anyone non-white and this has never happened between other racial groups either. A black guy from Africa and his offspring would quickly be assimilated into the African American community regardless of culture, but a white guy from Africa would not. This happens worldwide in every multiracial country on Earth. When it comes to assimilation, we are tribal, race trumps culture.
Armagedonus

And I feel they will care less the less being a minority in their country sucks. Of course in America it sucks a lot.

You fucking wish.  
Minorities who wants to work a lot and self-improve will find that USA is still a good country.  
Minorities who want handouts and complain about “da whitey!” will not.  
And white people in USA will suffer by being minority, not because “being minority sucks”, but because non-whites are “trained” since birth to hate whites and blame EVERYTHING bad to them, no matter how self-inflicted it is.

As seen in America, some groups reproducing less than others of their own free will.

I have heard that even minorities in USA reproduce less than in other countries.  
Blocking ALL immigration would save USA demographics.

@Ebalosus  
Why should I have to eat another foodstuff?

…because you are in another country in another continent?  
Don’t you care about my white culture?

“NZ white culture” is hardly different than western European one.  
If New Zealand stopped existing tomorrow, would you ensure that Pakeha like myself whom survived its destruction still had access to cultural foodstuffs that make up a part of their identity?

LOL, if NZ would be destroyed then people would totally produce Vegemite and Marmite somewhere else.  
They would have marketed it like “Taste Marmite/Vegemite! It taste like the one from New Zealand before it was kaput!” XD  
Is white New Zealand culture not worth preserving?

“white New Zealand culture” is only worth preserving in NZ.  
Everywhere else it is not.
Background Pony #8403
@Metro_Offset  
Those with power sure didn’t agree with that. Industry jobs may have put more money toward the GPD, but agriculture was essential. Agricultural Revolutions came before the Industrial, beating it by centuries to millennia. And who provided a significant chunk of US agricultural labor before the Civil War? Slaves.
Latecomer

@Metro_Offset  
No, it doesn’t. Skin colour is no more nescessarily important than hair colour. The white American community has never seriously tried to assimilate non-white ones.

@Armagedonus  
But blocking immigration is a terrible idea. And it’s only “saving” if a white majority is better than a non-white one, which it isn’t.

Whites would not be hated if they did not seek dominance, but rather equality.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
@Armagedonus

If my culture is “hardly worth preserving,” then why can’t the same be said for disparate European or American cultures? If the argument is western European culture must be preserved, then what does it matter if certain European cultures are destroyed? “Western European culture” still exists without France and Germany, right?
Armagedonus

If my culture is “hardly worth preserving,” then why can’t the same be said for disparate European or American cultures?

Stop putting words in my mouth.  
What I meant is - outside NZ, there is no good reason to be New Zealander.  
If the argument is western European culture must be preserved, then what does it matter if certain European cultures are destroyed?

What?  
Why only “western” European cultures?  
And why destroy other European cultures for that goal?  
“Western European culture” still exists without France and Germany, right?

Nope.  
Cultures like German or French or British are ESSENTIAL for western European culture.

@Latecomer  
But blocking immigration is a terrible idea.

You wish, USA does not need more people.  
There are like 300 million americans, when it will be enough? One billion like China or India?  
And it’s only “saving” if a white majority is better than a non-white one, which it isn’t.

That’s your opinion.  
I do not agree with it.  
Whites would not be hated if they did not seek dominance, but rather equality.

No, ‘whites’ would not be hated if they behaved like conquerors of other races.  
Also equality is impossible.
Metro_Offset

@Background Pony #8403  
Yes, because as I said, wealth was given to a few and trapped within the system. Obviously they wouldn’t want it gone. Are you arguing that slavery was ever essential? It wasn’t. And the economic numbers don’t reflect it ever being an economic backbone. It held the economy back, the north was miles ahead of the south in-part because it didn’t use slaves. The money they did make was wiped out by the Civil War and its aftermath.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide