Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Violet Rose in The Rain
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

@kleptomage

jolli: “Well, yes, but have you considered the fact that these rednecks have feelings and that they were hurt by the toppling of statues built to commemorate their racist history?”

“Forget school curriculums, museums and battle reenactments of the Civil War, what you need are more statues everywhere! Checkmate.”
The Smiling Pony
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@MagpulPony  
That stopped being a thing 10 years ago. The theatre next to where I live was playing a comedy movie about Hitler with a big swastika in its promotional material, and the bookstore I walk by to get to work has Mein Kampf in the window display.
Jolliapplegirl
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@Violet Rose in The Rain

Sure but that won’t stop them from being racist so what does it do? Even if you get rid of every symbol even mildly related to racism, the racist won’t just go away. They’ll still be there. IE, nothing will have changed.

Also, please stop putting words in my mouth. I told you, the statues should stay there because 1: they are apart of our history and should be left alone. 2: Destroying them is a waste of time and helps no one.

Also, could you stop insulting southerners so much? Like jeez, what did they do to you, piss in your lemonade? You’ve been nothing but rude when talking about them like they are somehow inherently bad people. It’s weird how antagonistic you are toward them. I at least focus on the racists but you seem to just point at the south and just generalize them.

@Latecomer

If you want to end racism, I would start by talking to the people today and convincing them they are wrong. Burning their flags and destroying their statues won’t stop anyone from thinking racist thoughts. The statues don’t radiate racism waves so their destruction does NOTHING to resolve the issu.
Latecomer

@jolliapplegirl  
The flags and statues symbolise racist ideas. Their beaing tolerated in public spaces is a signal that racism is tolerated there as well. Of course, it’s not so simple that getting rid of them would solve racism - but it’s part of it. And to be honest, just seeing someone fight for the honor of the Confederacy is a HUGE marker that their opinions are messed up.
Violet Rose in The Rain
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

@jolliapplegirl

I keep seeing this argument, that destroying statues of evil people is bad because it erases history. But that’s simply not true. The knowledge of their deeds, and how people responded to those deeds (both in said person’s time and beyond), is not gone. Furthermore, since when is history taught by plaques and statues? If you’re worried that people will become unaware of history through the removal of such statues, isn’t that chiefly a problem with the public education system? If the existence and actions of Christopher Columbus are universally forgotten simply because his statues were destroyed, doesn’t that indicate a fundamental flaw with how American history is taught? Same question with literally any other statue, and in any other country. And, conversely, if public education is good enough to ensure that people still know who they are, then what does a statue add? If we’ve decided that they don’t deserve a statue, and we know they’ll be remembered either way, why not tear the statue down?

The other element to this argument, of course, is extreme moral relativism. The last refuge of any person with no excuse for their lack of ethical consistency: declaring morality itself a product of the time period in which it’s practiced, and implying (or outright claiming) that objective standards are nonexistent as a result. Well, first of all, if morality is fundamentally subjective, then why do you care whether statues are torn down or not? See the first paragraph if it’s some hangup about historical preservation. Otherwise, by your own admission, the desire to not see statues torn down is just an opinion, and has no more weight than literally any other opinion. Second of all, if the level of respect commanded by a person was enough to commission a statue in their honor at one time, and has now sunk so low that people are demanding to see the statue torn down, then by virtue of morality being a product of the times, we should always respect the current moral standards and acquiesce to them. In this case, if current moral standards demand tearing the statue down, that’s what we should do. So it’s an unstable argument; everything you’ve built will be at the whims of the next generation, and the one after that, and you can’t argue against what they decide because you yourself decided that morality is fundamentally subjective.

Maybe it makes more sense to say that some things have always been morally wrong, no matter how much people of the past thought otherwise. Maybe culture doesn’t and shouldn’t outweigh justice. And maybe, our moral duty is to resist and repel evil, not make excuses for it. Yes, the people of the past shouldn’t be remembered as monsters by default, but no, that doesn’t make what was done ok. Statues are supposed to be built and maintained as a representation of historical figures that we hold in the highest esteem, that we consider to be among humanity’s greatest representatives. Knowingly maintaining statues of people who are primarily remembered for inflicting immense pain on other people for personal gain is a mockery of human dignity.

Just because someone was important doesn’t mean they should get (and keep) a statue. A history book tells the truth, no feelings attached. A statue conveys a feeling of honor. Evil should not be honored.
Violet Rose in The Rain

Architectural propaganda is the use of architecture, intentionally or unintentionally, to communicate an attitude or idea in a persuasive manner, often for an explicitly propagandistic purpose. The use of architecture for propaganda purposes in order to influence attitudes, opinions, and feelings of the target audience can be found in many cultures across history. Since architecture itself is an expression of culture, the propaganda element of architecture can organically flow from the structure by nature of its being.
The fact that something may be used for propaganda is not a values statement about the thing itself. It is a simple truism that people are influenced by things around them and therefore, when those things around include architecture, people will be influenced by it as a part of an environment. This inherent quality of architecture then can be used by those with the desire to do so. This use is what transforms the architecture from a simple influence into a piece of propaganda.
The psychological dimension of architecture and propaganda means that even when a group or government has no direct intent to use architecture for propaganda purposes, the nature of architecture proceeding as it does from the human mind will express something about the designer and his or her culture. The architecture itself becomes an expression of the larger opinions of a cultural or social group which may then be impressed upon others. By virtue of observation of an architectural work, an individual may come to understand something about the original builder and his or her culture. Thus, even with no prior intent, architecture by its very nature has a built-in propaganda value.
The Smiling Pony
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@The Smiling Pony  
Mote, the sockpuppet account he used for that was Mote. Obviously not the only sockuppet account of his on the site, he’s used others just to “insult” himself for attention. Very Lily Peet-like, tbh.

@Genevamode  
Because it is? Do you really need a booklet on his and his alts activities going back through half a dozen imageboards back over half a decade?
Latecomer

@silbasa  
A lot of it is good, a lot well-intentioned but misguided or unhinged, and perhaps a few just attacking acceptable-seeming targets.

@Vivace  
No-one seems to care much what he said, though.
Jolliapplegirl
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Artist -

@Latecomer

Oh yeah, thats why we see KKK meetings happening every weekend at city hall and massive support for lynchings in street. Wait what? That hasn’t happened and it’s only recently when people have put a spotlight on racists as the boogieman that it seemed have surged? My, one might think it wasn’t the statues that made them think that way and, I don’t know, maybe their own opinions? Nah, its gotta be the statues. People don’t talk and share ideas with one another. No, they see a swastika and just one day become racists. It’s like magic.

@Violet Rose in The Rain

Of those specific people, it is gone cause history books aren’t filled with the joe nobodies you see depicted in these statues. They are filled with presidents and major leaders. So yes they would be forgotten. Moreover, the way history is taught in America is kind of shitty but they actually can’t fit every joe somebody that did a thing. They have a time table so they mostly go over the major names cause, honestly, only a few people care about the people depicted. As for Christopher Columbus, he’s there because of his accomplishments. Outside of his immoral actions, he is an important figure because he did a thing, hence the statue. If anything, you can also statues under art history but that’s not my thing. The point being, the education system, at least for history, isn’t meant to tell everyone story. There are plenty of little people who will never even get an honorable mention but have a statue so someone knows they existed and isn’t just a fairy tale someone made up.

I’m not sure why we are talking about morals. I never brought it up as far as I can remember. I never said my statements weren’t my opinion. They obviously are, as yours are as well. So bringing it up means nothing. I also brought up practical reasons not to, like it did nothing to help anyone in any way. It doesn’t end racism or even convinces anyone not to be racist. As such, its a waste of time and effort that is being done because you don’t like them. What future generations do is not something I can influence because I will most likely be dead. My only hope is that they at least have the statues to make the choices themselves. I want my kids to ask me about it so I can tell them how far we came from when it was built to the present.

I don’t think I ever supported what was done in the past. I just accept them as reality. People were dicks, that’s life. I’m not going to erase all the evidence of the past just because I don’t like it. Also, do you think the people we have statues of are all good people? Cause they aren’t. Lots of them were racists, slaver owners and sometimes just terrible people. They don’t represent the best in humanity, they represent the past and each step we take to better ourselves. I don’t think there will ever be that mythical statue of the metaphorical Jesus who was perfect or even close to a good representative of humanity. We are flawed and that has to be accepted or we will never move forward.

Also, history books have a bias generally, usually in favor of the country reading it. We’ve recently gotten around to fixing this bias but there is a lot of history lost to time because they could only rely on oral traditions.
Latecomer

@jolliapplegirl  
Yes, they have their own opinions. Opinions like “Confederacy did nothing wrong - it was them darn Yankees!” Opinions which giving public respectability to the symbols of that wicked state of traitors and slavers reinforce.

We’re not looking to erase the evidence of the Confederacy’s existence - just all honour of it. And statues are put up for that.
Jolliapplegirl
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Latecomer

Personally, I couldn’t care less if they thought the confederate was right. It doesn’t affect me. It doesn’t affect you either. What does affect me is if they think ___ people suck because reasons. That is lightyears more important than their thoughts on Yankees. Also, you kind are erasing it, since you want to have a single narrative about them rather than hear about the other people who were there. The normal no slave-owning folk who lived like anyone else. Cause you know everyone in the south didn’t own slaves right? Heck, there were probably quite a few abolitionists there too who just lived there. You can’t paint them all with the same brush.
Jolliapplegirl
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Latecomer

My point being that if your goal is to end racism, I wouldn’t start with burning flags and destroying statues cause it isn’t going to endear you to the racists you supposedly want to convert.
Background Human
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

CHS, Class of 20XX
Heck, there were probably quite a few abolitionists there too who just lived there.

They were no doubt disappointed by Article I, Section 9, Clause 4…
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed.
…and Article IV, Section 2, Clause 1…
The citizens of each State shall be entitled to all the privileges and immunities of citizens in the several States; and shall have the right of transit and sojourn in any State of this Confederacy, with their slaves and other property; and the right of property in said slaves shall not be thereby impaired.
…of the Treasonous Slavers’ Constitution.
Violet Rose in The Rain

it isn’t going to endear you to the racists you supposedly want to convert.
BAHAHA you can’t be serious.

Racists almost always look for some excuse not to take us seriously. Can’t use reason to get them out of a bigoted mindset they irrationally dumped themselves into.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide