Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Violet Rose in The Rain
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

No amount of destruction will ever undo the injustice of the past so I don’t see how destroying statues does anything.
Mommy, what was the Civil War?”

Nobody knows, sweetie. The liberals took down all the statues and I can’t read or be bothered to go to a museum.”

We are not undoing the injustice of the past, museums and history books still exist to tell us the atrocities they committed. I don’t walk up to a statue if I want to remember history, I actually read books dedicated to the subject or look up surviving artifacts from said era.

They’re just shitty revisionist history statues but up after the Civil War to enforce Jim Crow. There’s nothing historical about them, except as a testament to racists being sore losers.  
Like, I feel the same way about the statues being destroyed here as I did when those videos of ISIS destroy pre-koran era statues.

Ah yes, because architectural marvels which hold historic value and in some cases modern purposes is the same as an ugly statue of some racist old white guy put up by a sad state government after losing a war over owning people.

Destroying ancient statues made by lost civilisations dating back hundreds if not thousands of years back is somehow equivalent to destroying statues put up in some cases less than a hundred years ago in order to intimidate black people. Yes I do use brain force why do you ask?  
I don’t have anything against conservatives

I wish I could say I’m surprised but I’m honestly not.
Violet Rose in The Rain
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

And what about lieing about the past by erecting many historically irrelevant statues to strike fear into black hearts? Is that a crime in your book?
She literally argued that the statues hurt nobody by being up.

Apparently in her book, it’s not harmful if they don’t physically walk around and punch somebody, which is the most oversimplified definition of racism I’ve ever seen.
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@tehwatever
That “restoration” brought in a fucktonne of tourist money for the church and town the painting was in, mind.
That was the result of her seizing the opportunity to get some clout. That is the exception to the rule.  
If ppl weren’t curious about the now infamous wacky face jesus, that botched job wouldn’t make any money. Like at all. There was no intention of her making money during the restoration. She only saw the opportunity when she heard ppl were curious.

So I don’t think it’s fair to use that one strange example to then justify strange unconventional jobs.
silbasa
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

@MagpulPony  
This is true. History is often cyclic. Sometime in the past something similar has happened. What we are seeing now is mccarthyism, now from the left. The damage to culture is already appearant. And they have no intention of stopping.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Violet Rose in The Rain  
But bro.  
said racist statue becomes a piece of history in the year 50xx so I think the comparison is valid. When the USA collapsed and Jamaicans took over, if they were to destroy the white ppl statues (assuming it was still standing), BOI that’d be the same as ISIS demolishing pre-koran statues. You either let the statue long enough to become a history piece, or you watch it crumble in your lifetime.

Either way it WOULD be a piece of history. One that the future Jamaican historians would probably try to restore.
Jolliapplegirl
Non-Fungible Trixie -
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@Latecomer  
I defend history, good or bad. Cause the past was never sunshine and rainbows. People are dicks. People have always been dicks. People will always be dicks. I have accepted this about the world and don’t wish to minimize it by pretending it never happened. Also no, it’s not a crime as far as I can tell. Moreover, I don’t think the statues actually instill fear into anyone. Usually, its people who do that. And those people will still be there even if the statues are torn down, so it doesn’t help anyone.

@Violet Rose in The Rain

They are historical as they represent a time in history that should be remembered. And I already said that the statues aren’t teaching history, they are an incentive to learn. A better example is a child asking their mother who that state is of and the parent telling them in whatever way they deem appropriate. And when the question of why its there is brought up, the parent can tell said child ‘we keep it there to remember how far we’ve come from the day it meant something different.’

Second part: Yes actually, they do. There are plenty of people who were terrible people that have statues up because they have some meaning to impart. And the people now who defend the statues aren’t saying ‘we like cause slavery are cool’ or whatever. They are a part of our history. America is a young country, so we don’t have thousands of years under our belt but when our future generations look back, I want them to have these statues so they can see how we changed from “having a statue to intimidated minorities” to “having a statue to remember we actually had dumb thoughts like that once.”

Third part: Why should I dislike conservatives on principle? Usually, I tend to dislike certain ideas, not people. Some might even say, I judge people as individuals as opposed to groups like the bigot I am.

Also, I dislike having words put in my mouth. I said, the statues don’t do anything, people do. In the long run, they are the ones we should focus on because they are the problem in this case. If you change the mind of a racist, there is one less racist in the world. If you tear down a statue, nothing changes. There will still be the same amount of racists in the world and a pile of rubble.
Latecomer

@silbasa  
No - but the best way to help that is to get rid of the real bad opinions, so one can disagree without it doing much harm.

@jolliapplegirl  
The statues are part of a cultural weapon of fear and intimdation. Of course, it was backed up by all sorts of other terrible things, but that is the history they were part of - not the Civil War, but the attempt to change it’s results.
Jolliapplegirl
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Latecomer

Yes and that should be preserved, the same way we haven’t burned all the Jim crow minstrel show fliers. Yes, they are offensive but they show what came before and the origins of certain things. They are important historically, regardless of how offensive it is to people.
The Smiling Pony
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@jolliapplegirl  
You know where those fliers are? In museums, not in the town square where everyone has to walk past them and get a nice blast of everfresh racism.

Statues are monuments, they’re there to celebrate what they depict, and seldom few give any context at all, let alone the negative kind.
Violet Rose in The Rain

@jolliapplegirl

There is a reason why there are no Hitler statues in Germany. Not because they are trying to erase history, but because statues imply they are there to celebrate the person depicted, not condemn. There’s a wide gap between presenting/preserving/remembering history and outright glorifying and mythologizing it. Placing giant heroic statues of confederate generals in public parks sure as hell isn’t just the former.

If this is really about remembering history and not about celebrating people who fought to keep slaves, then why not put up statues of the real heroes of the Antebellum era. Someone like John Brown, perhaps?

If you change the mind of a racist, there is one less racist in the world. If you tear down a statue, nothing changes. There will still be the same amount of racists in the world and a pile of rubble.
>implying we can’t do both

Fucking omegalul.
Violet Rose in The Rain

Displaying Nazi emblems in Germany is, naturally, complicated, even without the USK’s guidelines for age ratings and game content. “Most countries don’t penalize the display of Nazi symbols,” the lawyer Christian Solmecke told DW.
In Germany, the law considers swastikas and SS sig runes the “symbols of anti-constitutional organizations.” Displaying them publicly or selling goods that sport them is illegal. The Nazi salute and statements such as “Heil Hitler” are also banned in public.
“There are similar bans — for example, in Austria — but those are a lot less tough,” Solmecke said.
Swastikas and other banned symbols can, however, be displayed in Germany if they are used for “civic education, countering anti-constitutional activities, art and science, research and education, the coverage of historic and current events, or similar purposes,” according to the Criminal Code.
That means that movies and TV shows — Quentin Tarantino’s Inglourious Basterds and Amazon’s The Man in the High Castle, among them — are usually allowed to be distributed in Germany even if they feature swastikas and other Nazi symbols.
Jolliapplegirl
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@The Smiling Pony

Statues aren’t always celebrations. As I said, keep them there so we can show future generations how far we’ve come. Also, the people defending statues don’t do so because they want to keep the minorities down. To them, its remembering those that came before them.

@Latecomer

They don’t really. Unlike the minstrel shows, the statues are not overtly racist. It’s only after learning more about it that it becomes so. You see the poster and think ‘WTF is this?!’, you see a statue and you pass it by cause you don’t care. There in lies the difference.

Also, do you think racism exists because the statues do? Cause that’s not how it works. Racism isn’t negated in any way by destroying the statues. The racists aren’t going to see the pile and rubble and thing ‘well darn, I guess I can’t think minorities suck anymore.’ Racism isn’t new and it isn’t something exclusive to any country or race. People have been prejudice toward each other since before humans existed. Whether it’s based on skin tone, eye shape, or the size of the skull, prejudice has always been prevalent. It’s not new. It’s just a natural thing to be prejudice. The only thing we can do, as thinking beings, is to minimize the damage done by said prejudice.

@Violet Rose in The Rain

On the Germany thing, they had plenty of monuments so there is no fear of forgetting. They practically slap in the face with their condemnation of Hitler. And again, I concede on the merit of tearing down the monument of Hitler as a defining moment in history. The end of a regime. The statues in the park are not the same and down carry the same symbolism as the former. Tearing them down isn’t ending an era or a catharsis to those who suffered under the heel of the person. No, it’s just tearing down a statue cause you think it helps somehow. You still haven’t explained to me how it helps in anyway when it comes to racism in the US. I’ve proposed talking to the racist and convincing them that their views are wrong since that actually does do something for the people they later meet.

Second: So basically, you just want to tear them down even though it does nothing for anyone. One of those options has a positive effect on how people are treated later down the line. The other results only in a pile of rubble.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide