Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
Enough is enough. Social media need to be regulated. Their underhanded tacticts towards people that dont fit their liberal agenda has been pushed to far and now tha hammer is coming down. About time. Level playing field or no playing field!

So, imitate China, have the government decide what speech to allow and impose their rules on sites like this one here? How long until “criticizing the president is illegal”?
Background Pony #6180
@The Smiling Pony  
Cops have certain protections afforded them that regular people don’t, you also need to consider police department policy. I don’t know what exactly they are doing right now, but their is more to it.

@silbasa  
Should terrorist organizations be allowed to espouse their ideology on Twitter as well?
Vivace
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
Talk of undercover cops committing the Minneapolis violence to discredit protests reminds me of COINTELPRO.
NitroFury
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Horseplay
Artist -

Nitro Cat Bad!
I can guarantee this, if Trump send does the Military and tells them to shoot civilians; I can guarantee, if footage ends up online; the protests not be in one Midwest US state.
silbasa
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@The Smiling Pony

@Background Human

Thing is, the corporate version of this is already in effect. What happens when the corporation is so big it can sway public opinion on its own? When it controls all discourse? Its well known that tech is left leaning. Check out the youtube exec that was caught on hidden camera. They need to follow the law if they are “platforms”. If not they are publishers.
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
What happens when the corporation is so big it can sway public opinion on its own?
People leave it for another corporation. Free market, remember? If conservatives feel they’re being targeted on Twitter, Gab is right there, ready to take them in. Youtube apparently demonetizing only conserivatives? Head to DailyMotion. Hell, start your own company, prove the American Dream still exists.

Its well known that tech is left leaning.
No, it isn’t. Tech is money leaning, investor leaning, and the people with the checkbooks tend to be conservatives. They just don’t actually do anything, or appear in the public. The actual company employees, regardless of level, doing real work are at their mercy, and they may bitch and moan about the alt-right or whatever, but their boss is the almighty dollar, and it says “increase user engagement by allowing far-right content”. A few “big names” like Alex Jones finally getting banned is if nothing else proof that the right is given too much leeway due to how incredibly long it takes platforms to act against them. Hell Trumpo’s still shitposting daily and breaking the Twitter ToS left and right. In general right-wingers online are treated with cotton gloves due to how quick they are to go full Karen and scream like babies that a private company is being mean to them on their own platform.

They need to follow the law if they are “platforms”. If not they are publishers.
The law says platforms have discretion to remove obscene and extremist content, and they’ve been failing at doing that by keeping Trump’s twitter account active. If you want Twitter to apply its ToS “fairly” regardless of political leaning or position, they’ll have to start banning a whole lot of Republican elected officials.

But a question, though; should this very own site decide “we don’t want to host any pro-nazi images”, would you be calling for the government to step in? What if the site decides “jokes about 9/11 victims are banned”? Would you take away the agency of the owners to decide what it is they’re comfortable with the site they run hosting and in effect promoting?
silbasa
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@The Smiling Pony  
No. Derpibooru is not a large actor with the power of a nation state. If it were the size of google and swayed the public by becoming the largest place for discourse I might feel differently.

Tech is left leaning as is Silcon walley as per my opinion at least. There was a letter from an engineer at google about how they configured their algorithms. He was promptly terminated. Here is the exec caught on cam: Candid camera video

When democracy is taken over by corporations that manipulate the public one should be worried. Its just another way to become China.

I dont mean to be mean of offend. But I dont think one side having everything and the other beeing shunned is a good idea. Thats how Trump came into power in the first place.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Lindsay Graham is now urging older GOP judges to just retire so they can get younger judges rushed in for those lifetime appointments.

How pathetic.
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@silbasa  
So who decides when a company has too much “power”? And what if it’s “power” over a certain sector, like gaming press? Should the government step in if Kotaku ends up attracting 80% of the gaming blog market simply because the alternative sites suck even more?

Feels like a rendition to a nanny state and proof that the free market doesn’t work.

@Dustcan  
McConnell said the same ~two months ago

GOP leaders are really nervous that they’re going to lose control of the senate.
silbasa
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@The Smiling Pony  
Many questions :) All I can say is that when a company the size of google decides to influence an election they have massive influence. Who gets promoted by their systems? The free market work to a point when theres a bit of regulation but the endgame of capitalism is monopoly. And when does democracy end and corporations begin at that point? Is it fair that one actor can wield that power when not beeing elected in any way? Think all encompassing like google is. Not just one niche like Kotaku.
Background Human
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
@silbasa  
In the olden days, companies that got too big for their britches were broken up. Surely that’s a more workable solution than trying to upend Internet moderation as we know it.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide