Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

CaptainXtra
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

STOP KOSA!
Apparently there’s word going around that a group of bigots are planning to launch a massive attack on the LGBT community known as #OPERATIONPRIDEFALL on June 1st.

God, what wastes of life.
Background Pony #02F1
@Derpy Whooves
But the impending executive order could really hurt the fandom.
No. It won’t.

Please, try to understand this. Donald Trump cannot just sign an executive order and make a new law, or regulation, or shut down a social media platform like he has threatened to do. He does not have the power to do that. And if he did try to do that, it would be subject to judicial review and almost certainly overturned on the basis that, again, he doesn’t have any legal authority to do that sort of thing. And as far as the executive order you keep freaking out is concerned, it mostly just directs the FCC (which has no jurisdiction over internet companies like Twitter) and the FTC to study whether they can place new rules on social media companies. Actually making new laws to do that would fall to Congress, and while they could hypothetically pass legislation to further regulate social media platforms, that’s highly unlikely to occur. Especially with Democrats in control of the house.

Trump is basically just doing what he always does. He’s abusing the powers he does have and the position he occupies to try and bully people into doing what he doesn’t actually have any ability to force them to do.
Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
But the impending executive order could really hurt the fandom.

I honestly have no idea what you believe the “fandom” is, or what you think an executive order can do. You haven’t mentioned one single way in which this executive order could have any influence on the fandom, or any way in which it would have any effect on your daily life. You just HOPE that it will destroy the world as you know it, so that your endless paranoia will be proved valid, and you won’t have to suffer with the knowledge that you wasted years of your life trembling in the dark about something that never could have possibly happened in the first place.

All kidding aside, if you don’t get help with your anxiety soon, it will become a permanent companion in your life. It only takes a couple of years of living as you are now for it to really fuck up your body to the point where you forget how to live without panic attacks.

And, no kidding - you are on really thin ice with this site and this community. We can’t help you - you need professional help. And this is not a clinic. It’s a fan site.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@Background Pony #02F1  
I really think some of that perception of executive orders as some sort of law comes from all the complaining conservatives did about President Obama’s executive orders. If they really aren’t laws, and couldn’t possibly have done all the damage that conservatives claim, then maybe some of their hatred of liberals and in particular President Obama might have been in error. So … executive orders HAVE to be law. Or something.

It’s like some aspects of the right in the US has been telling the same lies for so many years that they have begun to believe their own propaganda.

It’s really important to remember why you tell the lies you tell. Because if you forget, and start believing your own lies, then you can end up in a really fucked up place.

can anyone else tell I have a degree in cartography?

@Background Pony #6180  
They’re talking about this - Alt-right homophobes are using 4chan to plan a terrifying cyber attack on the LGBT+ community during Pride month [PinkNews] - for us on this site it will probably just be the usual background noise during any pride event. I’m predicting outbursts of ‘mouthpiece’ tag abuse, and endless fights over whether debates of the sociopolitical and biblical history of homosexuality is apropos on cute drawings of two girls kissing.
Background Pony #6180
So, one thing I find amusing about this Twitter fight, free speech. I see a lot of points being made that Trump can’t touch Twitter because of free speech and the first amendment. I agree completely, but the amusing part is one of the legal cases that will have an impact on the inevitable court challenge is Citizens United! In other words if Trump does pass an EO we will get to see his administration taking the opposite position on the law, when previously they liked that decision, and his opposition will have to take a supporting position of it. That’s just great.

It is sad though that out of the two major parties that leaves the other candidate who… supports repealing section 230, well shit.

@Derpy Whooves  
Ah, so what will probably amount to a bunch of trolls and busy bodies reeing and some overreacting people on the left trying to gin up sympathy by giving them exactly what they want, attention.
Patachu
Patachu - For Patreon supporters
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Best Art Program Ever - For artists who were courageous enough to draw something for the April Fools day.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag

@Derpy Whooves  
hey, I made that collage first, even sneaked in the logo of a fictional government entity in there.  
still, it should be kept up-to-date.  
So as the creator of this “collage” I affirm all of these things about 4chan are completely made-up.  
full

This represents the paradox, the absurdity of capitalism corporations being lowered to use cultural marxist approaches to attract new consumers.

Yes this is art, there’s even a thing that’s related to one of my pone OCs. But no one will ever believe you. So all of this shit Pinknews is bringing out of their bum is fake news guys, but apart the 4chan and my OC, all were existing as of june 2019. Yes, even Emirates, even the police, Bayer, the army, so what are your views on that “rainbow meme month”? Does it makes you a proud consumer when the global capitalist hegemony says trans rights? Or do you prefer a thing called dignity?

On the executive order targeting Twitter’s obsession for censorship and banning free speech (Facebook isn’t better) I’m all for it, that’s needed.  
Social media must stop acting like a speech control authority, let’s give them hell.
Background Pony #6180
@Patachu  
Here is the problem with this line of thinking, if you scrap section 230 yoy will actually be incentivizing these companies TO censor speech. The reason being that that law means they are not responsible for what is said on the platform. If Twitter, or Facebook, are responsible they then will have to take a stronger role in what is said.

I’m somebody who would agree that Twitter has a bias and it is stupid for them to be fact checking anybody, but the solution is to leave Twitter.
Patachu
Best Art Program Ever - For artists who were courageous enough to draw something for the April Fools day.
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab

@Background Pony #6180  
does a phone company or an ISP have any responsibility on what the users do or say on their device using their service, their connection, their infrastructure? Of course no. does a webhost like Online or OVH or a decent mail client have guidelines about what you can’t post or say on your website other than breaking the law? Why should it be different with social media?

Because it works, it is the place you go and voice and share your opinion, that’s why France passed the Avia law, abolishing free speech, remember I made a couple or more posts on this subject, and that’s why I, once again, salute the action of Donald Trump doing the exact opposite of our government.
Background Pony #02F1
@Background Pony #02F1
I really think some of that perception of executive orders as some sort of law comes from all the complaining conservatives did about President Obama’s executive orders. If they really aren’t laws, and couldn’t possibly have done all the damage that conservatives claim, then maybe some of their hatred of liberals and in particular President Obama might have been in error. So … executive orders HAVE to be law. Or something.
Yeah, there does seem to be a really weird disconnect over what people think executive orders are/do. In reality they mostly just serve as directives on how laws are to be enforced or how the resources of the executive branch are to be managed, and are both subject to judicial review (for legality) and being overturned by a subsequent president. But between Trump acting like they give him all sorts of outlandish powers he doesn’t actually have and republicans having devoted nearly two terms of Obama’s administration making them out to be some horrendous constitutional overreach one step away from royal decree, it probably stands to reason that there’s confusion over what such an order actually signifies and what it can actually do.

And of course it needs to be commented that the big reason Obama ended up doing so much that way in the first place was because when the 2010 midterms put the House and Senate back in Republican hands (thanks in large part to all the shrill fearmongering they did over the implementation and passing of the ACA), they spend the next 6 years of his time in office refusing to work with him on virtually everything they tried to do, leaving that as one of the few options he had for accomplishing anything. A problem which only added to the false narrative about them being peddled.

@Derpy Whooves  
can anyone else tell I have a degree in cartography?
Really? So what’s your favorite map projection?

@Patachu  
Social media must stop acting like a speech control authority, let’s give them hell.
Why? They are private companies and they own the platform, so they have every right to set the terms by which people are able to use it. That includes the right to regulate what people say on it, especially if it involves threats or misleading information that could lead people to harm.

Don’t forget, this particular Trump temper tantrum involves them fact checking two of the thousands upon thousands upon thousands of lies he’s shouted from the podium they gave him. They didn’t even remove them, or make them difficult to get to. They just marked them as “fraudulent” (because they are) and put a link that guides to fact checks about what he said. That’s an awfully low bar for acting like Twitter has gone full on into all controlling Orwellian dystopia mode.

@Typhoon2000  
FUCK!, HE SIGNED IT!
Yes, and exactly like you were already told, it doesn’t shut anything down or make new laws. He’s instructing government agencies (at least one of which has no real authority to regulate Twitter) to look into adjusting regulations that give social media companies liability protections, and wants his little lapdog Barr to draft legislation for congress about it. But there are a host of legal issues with him doing any of that (including the fact that technically, under the law, the president cannot actually order the FTC or FCC to do anything), and while legislative changes are not impossible, it’s highly unlikely the Democrats are going to play nicely with Trump’s desire to play word police.

So please, calm down. It’s not all over, this isn’t the end of anything, it’s absolutely going to have legal challenges, and there’s a reasonably good chance that the next person in office will simply overturn it.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
There was a time that liberals and conservatives banded together to protect safe haven regulations and the like from government encroachment.

Seems those days are gone.
Background Human
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

CHS, Class of 20XX
@Zincy  
Liberals get mad when conservatives aren’t banned for saying horrible things.

Conservatives get mad when conservatives are banned for saying horrible things.

As long as conservatives insist on saying horrible things, the tech companies are in a bit of a no-win situation.
Patachu

@Background Human  
justifying or defending communism, an ideology that made hundreds of million of death through history is saying an horrible thing.

@Background Pony #02F1  
Why? They are private companies and they own the platform, so they have every right to set the terms by which people are able to use it. That includes the right to regulate what people say on it, especially if it involves threats or misleading information that could lead people to harm.

So is your phone company, or e-mail. or landlord, or webhost, or email provider, or the post office, or any private corporation that provides services allowing you to say what you can.  
Imagine an AI in Adobe that detects when you start drawing something sensitive «You can not do this, first strike; if you continue, this software will close and this work will be deleted» or a new version of MS-Word «The text can not be saved or printed due to the paragraph “never forget that biology only recognizes two sexes;” detected as: hatespeech.»

You are wrong or don’t understand what is a service. Twitter / Facebook are nothing but webhosts, providers of a service that is gratuituous.  
This is censorship, and preventing or banning anyone from expressing themselves on any social network, a service of public utility is the exact same thing. The «private company» has no point here.
Background Pony #6180
@Patachu  
If you threaten to blow up the whitehouse over the phone your phone company is not held responsible, if 230 is gone and yoy do that on Facebook Facebook can be liable. Again if your goal is for these companies to NOT act like speech controllers you WANT the law in place.
The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Background Pony #6180  
I think he just doesn’t want sites like this to ban people for saying “nigger” or “stingey kikes” but not “eat the rich” or “cops are pigs”.

Removing the protections 230 gives would just make sites go into overdrive deleting and blocking content to avoid any potential legal risk given they’d be held liable for some toad’s shitpost in the comment section of a 3 year old article, and it’ll inevitably extend and be abused by companies and individuals to shut down content and sites for user posts they want to sue over in civil court.

If it helps you any, Patachu, consider that this is exactly what Biden wanted and planned to propose, specifically to shut down right wing propaganda and misinformation. Trump is just too fucking stupid to realize what he’s doing and is reacting out of an anger tantrum. And by the by, Twitter’s service is not gratuitous, users pay for it with their attention on ads and promoted content/accounts.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
According to the draft from last night (not sure if it was the version he signed) but it would set up a system to monitor and collect data on social media users.

We Communist now.
Background Pony #6180
@The Smiling Pony  
“Right wing propaganda and misinformation”

When decoded Biden means “Things I don’t like”. Stupid how these politicians are so power hungry. Hopefully once Trump cools down he will leave this at the EO and not push it further.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide