Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Background Pony #686B
@The Smiling Pony  
No, you’re trying to move the goal posts. Your claim was that Americans don’t care about anyone but themselves. That doesn’t make sense when Americans are some of the most generous people in the world. That is the point of the conversation.
The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Background Pony #686B  
If americans are so generous then why not raise taxes to ensure excess money is distributed effectively to those in need and to fund public projects? Why depend on ego-feeding feel-good charity donations? Why do hospitals have to beg charities for money? Who are food banks so popular? Why are there so many homeless on the streets?

If americans were truly generous those things wouldn’t be issues. The richest and most powerful country in the world is home to some of the poorest and has the largest slave population in history.
Background Pony #0106
@Background Pony #686B  
If Americans were truly the most generous, then such charities would be entirely gratuitous, but the fact is they’re not; real people are actually reliant on them for sustenance. Those who can most afford to give the greatest generally don’t unless they themselves are beneficiaries.
Background Pony #686B
@The Smiling Pony  
That’s a result of the culture. People would prefer lower taxes and charitable giving. You may not like that, but no it doesn’t mean they aren’t generous. They give because they care, they prefer to give the money themselves to causes they care about.

@Mikey  
I’m sorry, but that’s pretty common and will probably move even more in that direction. Newspapers are losing paper subscribers and are trying to make it up elsewhere. The news reporting can still be good.

@Background Pony #0106  
Charities also need to be run, some of course are run better then others. I listened to an economic podcast awhile back that broke down an example of how one charity cut way back on its administrative and generally all non direct charitable expenses. What happened was they raised less money and as a result had less money to help people. I’m not saying this is the reason all charities have high admin coata, but it is an interesting factor. Still though, the money and time is being given.
Background Pony #686B
@Mikey  
I’d argue that for the topic at hand, whether Americans care, it doesn’t matter. For instance when Haiti had its earthquake the Red Cross had a huge spike in donations. Did Americans do it because they wanted to? Did they do it because they felt like it was their duty to help their fellow man? Maybe it is both, they gave because they felt like they should and because they want to help. I think it is again cultural, the people feel like we should help each other when they are in need. Trying to draw a neat line between the two I think is futile, and also unnecessary, they are still being generous.

I also want to point out I am not trying to put down other countries who don’t donate as much, maybe they really do feel like the government should handle it. I prefer charities but I wouldn’t hate on people who disagree.
Background Pony #686B
@Dustcan  
The conclusiom you’re trying to reach for is a big stretch their chief. The tax breaks were instituted because at the same time the income tax was jacked up to pay for some good time war making. Politicians were worried that the people, who were already giving to charity, would lose so much income that charities would suffer, so they added that in.

Additionally, you only get this “benefit” if you are itemizing your deductions, Americans who take the standard deduction are don’t get this. Roughly 90% of Americans use the standard deduction.

So, nice try trying to spin charitable giving in a way for you to complain about capitalism, but it doesn’t work
Ereiam
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - Organization is important.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Monde de merde
@Dustcan  
This too. Charity donations in the US are either conscience money or tax deductibles.  
A truly responsible society would have an efficient redistribution system like in Northern Europe, instead of slashing their social programs to fund the military-industrial complex.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
They may have to furlough the immigration offices because Congress and pres Bone Spurs refuse to give it the emergency funding it needs to stay open through the pandemic.
lonewolf
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

U mad?
@Background Pony #686B
Can you not link to sites that beg for money just to read a fucking article?

The trick here is to copy the link and paste it in an archive site like Archive.today or Archive.IS . Once it’s archived, it can be freely viewed via the archive site. And it denies that site any ad revenue.

@Background Pony #686B  
Guess the over 1 million this fandom has raised for various charities means nothing.
Background Pony #02F1
Heard he’s actually gonna sign an executive order on Social Media tomorrow
shaking right now
Well calm down a bit. The president cannot unilaterally regulate or close social media companies. That sort of thing requires action by either Congress or the Federal Communications Commission.

And if he is planning some idiotic executive order, just bear in mind that it isn’t quite the same as a law passed by Congress. Assuming it doesn’t get overturned by judicial review, any order issued by Donald Trump will be reviewed by his replacement and can just be revoked outright at that time.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide