Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Background Human
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
@Background Pony #1D40
And invading Ukraine would be an incredibly stupid move for Russia, but here we are. People miscalculate all the time. Especially if it wasn’t a sanctioned op. All it takes is one gang of idiots thinking, “hey, you know how we could hurt Russia?” (And frankly, Western or Russian forces blowing it up would be even dumber IMO.)
This is not hard to spoof.
True. But it’s far from the only bit of evidence pointing that way. Of course, all the evidence they’ve dug up so far could be misdirection. Investigating a covert op can be a real pain in the ass like that.
You mean the company that owned the boat, or a company that took it for a ride?
Second one. They borrowed the boat around the time of the attack.
SleepySteve
Duck - Believes in a quack for a quack. Not a fan of being civil to others.
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Apples and Pears
Texas Republicans are in turmoil today as the legislature is debating on whether or not to impeach Attorney General Ken Paxton on charges of corruption, abuse of power and obstruction of justice.
Yes, you read that right. The Texas GOP might remove their own AG.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
To be clear, the Texas GOP let him get away with like 11 years of blatant corruption. It’s only after he spent the last year riding so high on his hog that he’s now pissing off his corruption is now interfering with the rest of the GOP that they’re now considering cutting the turd loose.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
Damn that’s a big margin.
It’s now up to the Texas Senate to vote on whether to remove him, but if he’s that unpopular with his colleagues he might be kicked. Either way he’s suspended from duties until the Senate does vote on him.
SleepySteve
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Apples and Pears
House GOP and the White House have reached a tentative deal to avoid a default and raise the debt ceiling.
On the one hand, great. On the other hand, Biden’s approval rating is about to fall below Trump once the Dems see what’s getting cut.
BlitztheDragon
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Well according to Reuters, the debt ceiling will be raised for two years in exchange for a cap on non-defense discretionary spending for one year followed by a 1% increase in 2025, a clawback of unused COVID-19 emergency funds, and the imposition of additional work requirements for food stamps. It will also “speed up the permitting process for some energy projects.” I’ll be pleasantly surprised if any of those are renewables.
It sounds like the House Freedom Caucus already flatly opposes the tentative deal.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
The freedom cock circus is only about 23 members. So, enough moderate dems can drown them out.
I think, if I’ve heard from my contacts correctly, some of the energy projects are wind and solar farms in the “flyover” states.
Background Human
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
@BlitztheDragon
I hate that they’re getting any concessions out of this. It’ll only encourage more brinkmanship in the future, and America’s credit rating is too important to be used as a bargaining chip.
But the deal’s a lot less bad than it could have been. Now it’s up to McCarthy and McConnell to get it past their hardliners. (I assume the Dems won’t have much trouble whipping votes on their end. If they do, we may be well and truly boned.)
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
I’m not sure if these concessions are good or not. Better than a default to be sure, but I’m not sure if they are better than if Biden just ate the political hit from invoking the 14th.
So, uh, “it could be worse” is the optimistic assessment?
SleepySteve

Apples and Pears
Biden punting the ceiling to 2025 as if a) he’s assuming he will still be president in 2025, and b) Dems will still have a Senate majority in 2025, which is hard when two of the seats Dems need to keep are in states Trump won by landslides.
Background Pony #EC7E
It does mean the next round of debt ceiling talks won’t happen in an election year, which was McCarthy’s original intent.
So there’s at least that.
Honestly, I think there’s more to praise about this potential deal than just that. Biden was very smart to make this a budget matter as well. Unlike the debt limit, the budget is something the president has to negotiate with the House anyway, and there isn’t a constitutional amendment (that I am aware of at least) which would potentially give Biden an out if the GOP decided to use that process to shut down the government over their demanded draconian spending cuts. From what I’ve heard on his deal with McCarthy, it would supersede the appropriation process for two years as well, which means (as I understand it) that the GOP run house loses both of their biggest hostages until after the next election.
Moreover, in exchange for losing, frankly, a lot of the cuts they really wanted, the GOP apparently got a commitment to flat non-defense discretionary spending. Which could end up being a pretty good deal, since the previous House (right before the GOP took over) locked in the largest possible increases to non-defense discretionary spending that they could negotiate in anticipation of the budget fight McCarthy just gave away.
Heck, even something the GOP technically sort of won on, the changes to SNAP that increased the age threshold for work requirements, also eliminates the work requirements for veterans and homeless people, which would actually make this an expansion in a lot of ways.
I mean I still would have preferred a situation where we didn’t have to play this game with the GOP at all, but I also don’t think the current outcome could have gone much better, given the kind of nutjobs we’re dealing with. House Republicans were all set to pull a Nero and let the country burn, but McCarthy ended up being the fiddle Biden played.
lonewolf
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

U mad?
Belarusian dictator Alexander Lukashenko made a claim saying there will be “nuclear weapons for all” who join the Union State of Russia and Belarus, according to Russian state-controlled media.
Well hey if they do that, I’m sure we can give some to other NATO members. Looks like Fallout will become the real deal soon.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
Considering I just got engaged, can we save the nuclear armageddon until after my honeymoon?
For real though, I doubt Russia even has enough functional nukes to scatter across any new territory. I’d wager a good 50% are going to be show peices.
Hell, old fat Lewy there was probably given fake nukes that will pop out little Russian flags that say “Bang” on them when he pushes the button.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
I’ve said it before, but I half want Russia to drop nukes at this point.
Imagine news that WW3 has just started. For the next 20 minutes everyone is running in circles, sometimes literally. The missile finally lands…and just buries itself halfway into the ground. Turns out one of Russia’s oligarchs sold all of the country’s uranium for a single Roblox card since the robux is now worth more than the ruble.
All 8 billion people in the world will mutter a collective “bruh”, and then the world just straight up deletes Russia.
Latecomer

@BlitztheDragon
Hmm… part of me is wondering if that shouldn’t create the opposite effect, with techniques being more suited for black women than whites. But I guess there’s been plenty of time for “correction” since.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide