Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Background Human
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
@MagpulPony  
High recovery rate + high number of deaths = really high number of infections. Congratulations, you’ve proven that the disease is spreading like the wildfires that are also spreading like wildfire.
MagpulPony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

Fuck Russia
@Angrybrony  
It’s clearly true if that’s your only response.

@Background Human  
Yes and you prefer what? That Biden had some level of authority instead? Or perhaps Obama? That worked great back in the days of H1N1, in which it was said the US did every single thing possible incorrectly. Thank God it wasn’t Rona back then I suppose.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@MagpulPony

So serious that he himself admits on record to downplaying the virus.

As for his travel ban, it was declared almost 2 full weeks after the first case already hit US shores. Congrats? Oh, and there’s an asterisk next to that ‘ban’.”:https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/the-facts-on-trumps-travel-restrictions/

As Azar explained when he announced the travel restrictions on Jan. 31, the policy prohibits non-U.S. citizens, other than the immediate family of U.S. citizens and permanent residents, who have traveled to China within the last two weeks from entering the U.S.
At a House subcommittee hearing on the coronavirus on Feb. 5, Ron Klain, White House Ebola response coordinator under the Obama administration, took issue with the characterization of the travel restrictions as a travel “ban.”
“We don’t have a travel ban,” Klain said. “We have a travel Band-Aid right now. First, before it was imposed, 300,000 people came here from China in the previous month. So, the horse is out of the barn.”
“There’s no restriction on Americans going back and forth,” Klain said. “There are warnings. People should abide by those warnings. But today, 30 planes will land in Los Angeles that either originated in Beijing or came here on one-stops, 30 in San Francisco, 25 in New York City. Okay? So, unless we think that the color of the passport someone carries is a meaningful public health restriction, we have not placed a meaningful public health restriction.”
Indeed, on Jan. 24, (a week before the travel restrictions, the CDC confirmed two cases of the novel coronavirus in the U.S. from people who had returned from Wuhan, China, where the outbreak began.*
Furthermore, Klain said, the import of goods from China is exempt from the travel restrictions, “and, of course, the people who fly the planes and drive the boats that bring those goods from China. We couldn’t ban that activity. We vitally need that. Ninety percent of the antibiotics in this country come from China. All kinds of vital medical supplies … we will use to treat people. So, travel bans … that’s not what we’re imposing, that’s not what exists.”

But better late than never, right?
MagpulPony
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Fuck Russia
@Dustcan  
When dealing with the fact that the nation that allowed the virus to spread lied for weeks if not months, cases being in the US before an official ban was inevitable. So yes. Better late than never.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Background Human
Yes and you prefer what? That Biden had some level of authority instead? Or perhaps Obama? That worked great back in the days of H1N1, in which it was said the US did every single thing possible incorrectly. Thank God it wasn’t Rona back then I suppose.

The disease that killed only 12.5 thousand Americans over the course of a year?

Damn. Even Obama’s worst is still better than Trump’s worst.

@MagpulPony  
@Dustcan
When dealing with the fact that the nation that allowed the virus to spread lied for weeks if not months, cases being in the US before an official ban was inevitable. So yes. Better late than never.

Which one? China or America?

Because, you know, both can apply to that statement.
MagpulPony
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Fuck Russia
@Dustcan  
To your first statement, you ignored my point entirely. H1N1 was not the Coronavirus, which is why I said thank God it wasn’t the Coronavirus under their leadership. Oh, and wasn’t it Fauci that said in March regarding Trump’s initial response— “The Response Of Trump Admin Has Been Impressive, I Can’t Imagine Anybody Could Be Doing More.”

But orange man still bad, yup.

To your second point, no. Both nations can not have that applied to it. Anyone who seriously thinks that China’s actions and incredible lies and crimes are somehow comparable to america in any way, needs real help.
Background Human
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
@Background Pony #4146  
The Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center, plus math.

Italy: 35645  
France: 31056  
Spain: 30243  
Belgium: 9930  
Germany: 9373  
Netherlands: 6303  
Sweden: 5860  
Romania: 4285  
Poland: 2237  
Portugal: 1878  
Ireland: 1788  
Austria: 758  
Bulgaria: 739  
Hungary: 654  
Denmark: 633  
Czechia: 482  
Finland: 339  
Greece: 316  
Croatia: 236  
Slovenia: 135  
Luxembourg: 124  
Lithuania: 87  
Estonia: 64  
Slovakia: 38  
Latvia: 35  
Cyprus: 22  
Malta: 16  
EU TOTAL (27 countries): 143276

United Kingdom (1 country): 41773

Moldova: 1159  
Bosnia and Herzegovina: 736  
Serbia: 736  
North Macedonia: 668  
Kosovo*: 488  
Albania: 343  
Montenegro: 126  
CEFTA TOTAL (6 or 7 countries): 4256

Switzerland: 2039  
Norway: 265  
Iceland: 10  
Liechtenstein: 1  
EFTA TOTAL (4 countries): 2296

GRAND TOTAL (38 or 39 countries): 191601

United States (1 country): 196732

You can even throw in Ukraine (3404), Belarus (767), Andorra (53), San Marino (42), Monaco (1), and the Vatican (0) to round out the continent.
Background Pony #4146
@Background Human  
The wildly different case-fatalities ratios make comparing those numbers impossible. It’s clear that different countries on the list have very different measures of “covid-involved” deaths  
full  
and we’ll only get a real idea of the numbers by looking at excess deaths stats, which look much worse for most european countries:  
full  
However, even by death reporting, the US doesn’t stand out as particularly bad. We’re in the same range as France, Italy, and the UK.
Background Pony #7EC3
Last I checked, Trump was shutting down travel from China at the same time Joe was calling him a racist and a fear-mongering idiot because he was taking the virus seriously.
Except Biden’s comment about Trump’s “hysterical xenophobia” and “fearmongering” was not about the travel ban, but the fact that he is now and has always been a hysterical fearmongering xenophobe.

Besides, as has already been pointed out, Trump didn’t really shut down travel from China. The January 31st announcement merely prohibited specific non-U.S. citizens who had traveled to China within a two week time-frame from entering the United States. Citizens and permanent residents, as well as their immediate families, were exempt. And considering that a New York Times report on April 4th indicated nearly 40,000 people had flown on direct flights from China to the United States in the two months after the travel restrictions went into effect, and that a later report by the Commerce Department indicated nearly 8,000 Chinese nationals and foreign residents of Hong Kong and Macao entered the U.S. on more than 600 commercial and private flights in the first three months after the ban was imposed, it seems like the “ban” Trump is (incorrectly) claiming saved so many lives was about as useless as he is.
MagpulPony
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Fuck Russia
@Dustcan  
Literally the entire video is edits.

@Background Pony #7EC3  
Yeah no. We both know what Joe was referencing. He and the media were highly critical of Trumps response to the virus and said he was over reacting. Thankfully neither Biden nor the media was in charge.
Background Pony #4146
@Background Pony #7EC3  
That’s not true at all. The opposition was to travel bans of any kind, which is why the articles kept claiming that there was no evidence of community transmission in the US. Did you just get your memory completely rewritten in the last six months?
Background Pony #1F81
@CaptainXtra  
If I can hazard a guess, it might be because Nuns and Christianity are more common and accepted in the US, while Muslims and Islam/hijabs aren’t as accepted because of the US’s rocky history with Muslims and the Middle East
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide