Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

MagpulPony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Artist -

Fuck Russia
@Zincy  
It’s the switch of infrastructure. Nearly 800 million panels and an estimated 10 trillion dollars required to construct a solar program capable of providing energy to much of the entire United States.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Prices per megawatt hour from electricity for coal-fired power plants range from a low of $60 to a high of $143, according to Lazard, a financial advisory firm that publishes annual estimates of the total cost of producing electricity. This is the levelized cost, which includes the cost to build, operate, fuel and maintain a power plant.
Wind is significantly cheaper: Unsubsidized, levelized prices per megawatt hour of electricity from wind range from $29 to $56, according to Lazard’s most recent figures. In contrast, a decade ago, wind costs topped out at $70 per megawatt hour, according to the U.S. Department of Energy’s most recent report on the wind technologies market.
For solar electricity, unsubsidized, levelized prices range from $40 to $46, according to Lazard figures. In 2010, the average was closer to $120 per megawatt hour, said Mark Bolinger, a research scientist with the electric markets and policy group at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in Berkeley, California. Berkeley Lab conducts scientific research on behalf of the U.S. Department of Energy.
For reference, the average U.S. home uses about 10 megawatt hours of electricity each year.

Hypothetically, if the US would switch to 100% wind energy we’d need to devote only 0.01% of our land to windmills to meet our energy needs.

There’s currently less than 50,000 US jobs in the coal industry. The wind energy industry alone currently supports about the same, but is expected to support up to 600,000 by 2050.  

I’unno, green energy seems pretty viable.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@MagpulPony

Diversification.

Change over parts of the grid, over time, to wind, solar, hydro, biomass, captured methane, wave motion, and the other renewables depending on what worked best for the area.

Stripping oil and coal subsidies alone would generate billions.

Reallocating funds from other parts of the gargantuan budget to modernize our infrastructure. Add in new bridges, repaired roads, upgraded power and telecommunications systems, expanded internet access, new sewer systems, etc. Hell, shave 10% off the defense budget, there’s 70 some billion for new roads and power plants.

The US infrastructure is aging, broken, and in desperate need of repair and modernization. We have some of the worst basic infrastructure of the western world.

Oh, that’s right, your paranoid mind only cares about the military getting more money. The rest of the US infrastructure can burn so long as the military has more bombs for you to jack off too.
MagpulPony
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Fuck Russia
@Dustcan  
Wow. A country 22 times smaller with barely 5 million people in it has less blackouts than a sprawling 320 million+ populated nation. Who woulda thought.
MagpulPony
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Fuck Russia
@Zincy  
And us losing our position in the world would ensure all of that new infrastructure would be worth jack shit. So yeah, taking the funds from defense is a non-starter for me. Find the money somewhere else and I’ll tell you what I think.
Background Pony #0106
So the US is in a position that it has a bigger military than the next few largest combined, yet even slight monetary reallocation would leave us fucked? Totally legit.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@MagpulPony

You really think taking away a small iota of the defense budget would sink us?

Wait, I think I understand you…the military is a proxy. A vicarious proxy by which to live through. Same thing with guns.

You’ve been hurt bad in your life. Betrayed, taken advantage of, as you’ve said before. Been on top and then flung into a position of weakness.

And that’s the lens you view this through. You see the military as an outlet. Its powerful, unyielding, and in your mind can never be put in a position of weakness. And any attempt that you believe would put it there, no matter how unlikely the result, is an affront. Guns, the military, defense, “weakness”. All shows of strength, bastions from which one can never be put into a defensive position. Psychological protection. A security blanket.

Well, I’m sorry, but a complex is no justification for policy.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@MagpulPony

Yep. A country smaller than Nevada needs an area of wind also smaller than Nevada to power it more reliably than the entirety of the US.

Now imagine if a country the size of America used an area of wind the size of America to power it. Especially since it hypothetically needs only 0.01% of its land gathering wind power to do it.
MagpulPony
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Fuck Russia
@Background Pony #0106  
Having a military that size means it takes a shit ton of money to maintain it all, plus pay everyone, invest in emerging technologies, upgrade aging systems, and ensure that we never lose our edge over our enemies. Last time we cut the budget, we had some of the deadliest years for non combat aviation losses, were unable to keep our F-18 force maintained and combat ready, and nearly lost our greatest CAS asset to full cancellation.
Kiryu-Chan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
If taking even just a few Billion out of a $732Billion dollar military budget is enough to throw a wrench at the Military Industrial Complex, then this country’s ability to manage itself is utter garbage and probably deserves to rot  
@MagpulPony  
@Background Pony #0106
Having a military that size means it takes a shit ton of money to maintain it all, plus pay everyone, invest in emerging technologies, upgrade aging systems, and ensure that we never lose our edge over our enemies. Last time we cut the budget, we had some of the deadliest years for non combat aviation losses, were unable to keep our F-18 force maintained and combat ready, and nearly lost our greatest CAS asset to full cancellation.

read it wrong  
US don’t need any more fighter jets
HorsesandMuchMOAR
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger

Gallusposting since 2019
I am not a pagan or a Hindu, but every time I see Nazis use swastikas or futhark runes, I imagine that people from my world would laugh at them for being “superstitious buffoons”.

Sometimes I also joke back that the gods might not accept the Nazis’ overuse of their sacred symbols.
CaptainXtra

STOP KOSA!
What’s does the Bible say about Government?

That’s right, a dose of Religion in this Political discussion for maximum engagement.
MagpulPony
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Fuck Russia
@CaptainXtra  
Essentially that you should obey your government, pay your taxes, etc. Though it varies by government, as some are obviously favorable to others, example, USA vs China.
igotnopicks
Thread Starter - Splatoon thread

Monado User
@CaptainXtra  
“Let every person be subject to the governing authorities; for there is no authority except from God, and those authorities that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists authority resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.”

Those who resist will incur judgment. Well the USA already broke that when it broke free from Great Brittain and King George.
Background Pony #FCD3
@Dustcan  
Didn’t both solar and wind energy have a share of its own problems?  
Like windmills being a danger to wildlife and solar panels requiring requiring perfect conditions?  
If I remember correctly, America has its own problems like tornadoes or being XBOX HUEG that would hamper turning itself 100% green.

Of course it would be good just to start going green, even if it would take 100 years.  
After all it is good to have more than just one source of energy.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide