Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Vortaxonus

It’s more his history of supporting segregation and vocal opposition to desegregation acts like busing. Thank god he’s not pushing for those things now now or as an official policy, but he was still complimentary to other segregationists as late as last year or so.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@Vortaxonus

This bill is only advancing because Barr gave his tacit approval by announcing last year that he was “studying Section 230 and its scope”.

Previous AG’s have shied away from attacking it due to the potential ramifications. But Barr is willing to go full steam off the cliff.

Because he’s a fucking idiot.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
Ron Johnson, one of the senators to vote no on the Covid relief package, had this to say today.

“I’m not denying what a nasty disease COVID-19 can be, and how it’s obviously devastating to somewhere between 1 and 3.4 percent of the population,” Johnson, a Wisconsin Republican, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Tuesday. “But that means 97 to 99 percent will get through this and develop immunities and will be able to move beyond this.”  
“But we don’t shut down our economy because tens of thousands of people die on the highways. It’s a risk we accept so we can move about,” Johnson continued, in apparent reference to recent guidance issued at the federal and state levels for people to avoid large groups and stay away from bars, restaurants and other businesses to help blunt the spread of coronavirus. “We don’t shut down our economies because tens of thousands of people die from the common flu.”
Dustcan
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
@Zincy

If we low ball it and say only 1% of the population dies that’s still potentially 3.6 million dead Americans if everyone got infected.

There was an estimate that some 40-70% of the population will end up infected by Covid-19. If we split the difference and say only 55% gets infected, then a lowballed 1% mortality rate still means just shy of 2 million Americans are gonna bite it.
CaptainXtra

STOP KOSA!
@Vortaxonus  
Well Lindsey Graham was in self-quarantine a while back but unfortunately he tested negative however this might discourage them from trying to push it during this pandemic but I’ve been keeping a close eye on this damned bill ever since I heard of it.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
On an unrelated note of governmental incompetence, I’ve been navigating the insane maze of the US immigration office.

I’m currently seeing a girl from Colombia. She’s here on a J1 visa.

The restrictions our country places on immigration, even on the legal side, is absolutely absurd. Did you know that you cannot just move to America because you want to, you know, be a citizen of the US? You have to either be sponsored by someone already here, sponsored by a business, or seeking refugee status.

If you want to transition from a J1 or Hb1 into citizenship, you still need a business or person to sponsor you.

If you marry a native, they still have to sponsor you and you can be deported anytime between the marriage and the 3 years to get your green card.

And this is costing us btw. The crackdown on the HB1’s for example have led to a brain drain. Educated, capable immigrants who come here to start businesses, and generate jobs, are being denied entry. Guess where they are going? Canada, Germany, and the UK, where they go on to start job creating businesses and provide extensive economic benefits.

The girl I’m dating is an industrial engineer. She has an idea for a business that can likely create over 100 jobs. And yet our arcane and frankly idiotic system makes it stupidly difficult for her to do so.

“Buh…buh…merrr jubs….” I hear some people already whimper, as they rattle their keyboards in impotent rage “deh gonna take merr jubs” they reiterate, more forcefully.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@HeadlessHorselessHorseman

Irrelevant.

The addition of the immigrants creating those jobs does not prevent capable Americans from doing the same. However, denying them access to the system creates a net loss by removing a potential gain. Especially considering those on HB1’s are often coming here with the explicit purpose of doing so.

John may bake a cake, and has the capability to, but has as of yet not done so despite already being in the kitchen.

Juan, on the other hand has every intention to bake a cake, and whoever invites him into their kitchen is going to get a nice cake.

Research shows that where HB1s go, economic gains follow.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@HeadlessHorselessHorseman

To what end?

One way creates a net loss, the other way creates a net gain. The research is pretty clear that these sectors grow faster when Hb1’s are involved than when natives are left to their own ends. Your way to skin the cat is vastly less effective. There’s skin and hair everywhere, and I’m pretty sure you didn’t even kill it first.

American Enterprise Institute - “each H-1B visa holder creates 1.83 jobs for Americans. The economic impact of these visa holders is vast.”

American Immigration council- “Research indicates that an increase in H-1B visas could create an estimated 1.3 million new jobs and add around $158 billion to Gross Domestic Product in the United States by 2045.”

The fucking Heritage Foundation- “raising the cap to 195,000 visas would increase revenues across all industries by $69 billion over the next eight years.”

A 2017 study by economists Ufuk Akcigit, John Grigsby and Tom Nicholas- “Technology areas with higher levels of foreign-born expertise experienced much faster patent growth between 1940 and 2000, in terms of both quality and quantity, than otherwise equivalent technology areas.”

A 2015 study by economists Giovanni Peri, Kevin Shih and Chad Sparber- “Increases in [foreign] STEM workers are associated with significant wage gains for college-educated natives. Gains for non-college-educated natives are smaller but still significant. Our results imply that foreign STEM [workers] increased total factor productivity growth in US cities.”
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
Gaurav Khanna and Munseob Lee- “found that an increase in the number of H-1B workers was associated with an increase in both productivity as well as an increase in innovation as measured by product reallocation rates as reported by the Nielsen Retail Scanner Data. The findings were strongest for firms in the software industry. These findings were found regardless of the firm’s R&D expenditure, size, or revenue share. The researchers also found that an increase in product reallocation is strongly associated with higher firm revenue growth.”

Britta Glennon- “Using firm level H-1B visa data linked with Bureau of Economic Analysis data on U.S. multinationals, Glennon found that both levels of analysis yielded the same result: foreign affiliate employment increased as a direct response to increasingly stringent domestic restrictions on H-1B visas. These results were most pronounced among R&D intensive firms in industries that could be easily offshored. The countries that benefited from these restrictions the most were China. Canada, and India. For China and India, they saw an increase in the amount of activity/employment at the foreign affiliates of U.S. multinationals because each country has a large number of skilled workers. In contrast, Canada benefited from U.S. restriction because of the country’s more relaxed immigration policy as well as the proximity of foreign affiliates to their U.S. headquarters.”

The Unintended Selection Effects of Cutting the H-1B Quota- “a group of authors explored how changes in H-1B policy affect the quantity and characteristics of workers entering the country. Based upon a review of existing literature and datasets, the authors found that reductions in the cap on H-1B workers have particularly hindered the employment of the highest skilled foreign-born workers (as measured by wage) and have not led firms to hire more Americans.”
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
My family is saying there’s a bunch a hoohaa about Governor Dewine being about to declare martial law in Ohio. Or at least order ALL businesses closed. Google ain’t giving me anything about it so is there any basis for it?
HeadlessHorselessHorseman

@Dustcan  
I always liked her pretty well. I don’t think her throwing in with Biden is her selling out, just being pragmatic. I’d have been more upset if she still kept pushing for Sanders even with his numbers where they are.

Also, I don’t consider the fact that she’s a Democrat with a lot of Republican appeal a negative, although I do wish she’d voted to impeach Trump.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide