Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@TheMagpulPone

When a court can be used to tell an entire voting bloc that they have lost the right to vote, that is voter suppression. There is a reason a vast majority of states went to a “time paid” system rather than just “commit felony, never vote again”.

Moreover, during the civil rights era, white cops would stand “guard” around voting booths for the explicit purpose of scaring away black voters.

The misuse of any apparatus can facilitate voter suppression. Make the right law, in the right way, and you can disenfranchise large swaths of voters with but the stroke of a pen.
TheMagpulPone
Artist -

Dynamic Pie
@Zincy  
We’re long past the era of police guarding voting booths to scare away minority voters. But that aside, I don’t think that every felon should lose all of their rights. Obviously some felony convictions can be ridiculous, especially under varying circumstances. However, just as we shouldn’t broadly take away a right from those people, I don’t think we should also broadly return it.

A case by case basis or a specific list of non-violent felonies should be eligible for a return of their voting rights, but not all of them. In some cases, if you have shown a blatant disregard for obeying the law, why should you be allowed to vote for the people that help make them? There are consequences for breaking the law, so maybe just don’t do it.
Background Human
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
In some cases, if you have shown a blatant disregard for obeying the law, why should you be allowed to vote for the people that help make them?
Because then they’d have to give a shit about people who’ve paid their debt to society, instead of kicking them to the curb so they can recidivize and keep the private prisons stocked.
Background Pony #F0B8
We’re long past the era of police guarding voting booths to scare away minority voters.
I would bet money that is far less true than you care to realize.

@TheMagpulPone  
In some cases, if you have shown a blatant disregard for obeying the law, why should you be allowed to vote for the people that help make them?
Because sometimes the blatant disregard for obeying the law is in regard to a law that is itself unjust? Because making certain things permanently disenfranchise someone makes it easy to create a system in which a group you don’t want to see voting can be more aggressively prosecuted for those very crimes? Because sometimes people are doing them out of desperation and need?

Besides, if the current administration is anything to go on, a blatant disregard for obeying the law isn’t a deal breaker for running for office, so why should it be one for the people voting?
Background Pony #D54D
What’s with you people and stormfront? Say something and it’s “go back to stormfront. Is it like that “ok boomer” thing? Why would you assume most internet users are white? Isn’t that the sort of thing you people claim to be against?
Background Pony #D54D
@Background Human  
No, I don’t visit Stormfront. I’m just wondering why people keep posting that again and again. I was actually told once to go back to Tumblr, another site I don’t even use. Why such a reply? Why the vulgarity.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
Trump plans to sign an order to interpret Judaism as a nationality…

I am, confused. Even Jews don’t see Judaism itself as a nationality, and there are several distinct national identities such as the Yekke, Litvaks, and Ashkenazic.

This is so vague that I could probably now use it, since I have a lot of Jewish ancestors.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Zincy

It’s apparently meant to ostensibly illegalize anti-Semitism in colleges (re:make it illegal to criticize Israel).

As critics point out however, making a religion into a nationality would also open the door to many legal problems as it can make someone not considered American due to being of a different nationality. Further on that point, it’s also sure a coincidence that the guy who frequently rails against Jews for their “dual loyalty” or says that Israel is their real home is now basically codifying such accusations into law.
vit
The End wasn't The End - For those that found a new home

@Zincy  
Whether Trump knows it or not, he as POTUS is officially and severely otherizing Jews just like the Japanese were otherized during WW2, how they must’ve been intrinsically and totally loyal to their emperor and homeland.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
If the problem is that a religious group is being discriminated against, making them a national group seems like a terrible “fix”.

PS: Where are all the people who were screaming all the time about the executive orders that President Obama issued? Isn’t this the same kind of thing?
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
PS: Where are all the people who were screaming all the time about the executive orders that President Obama issued? Isn’t this the same kind of thing?

Present.

In fact the hypocrisy towards Trump’s use of EO vs Obama’s was what first made me start to question the GOP.
Background Human

CHS, Class of 20XX
To people who feel deprived of a clear social identity, Ur-Fascism says that their only privilege is the most common one, to be born in the same country. This is the origin of nationalism. Besides, the only ones who can provide an identity to the nation are its enemies. Thus at the root of the Ur-Fascist psychology there is the obsession with a plot, possibly an international one. The followers must feel besieged. The easiest way to solve the plot is the appeal to xenophobia. But the plot must also come from the inside: Jews are usually the best target because they have the advantage of being at the same time inside and outside.
– Umberto Eco, “Ur-Fascism” (New York Review of Books, 22 Jun 1995)

Italics in original, bold added.
Background Pony #F0B8
I suspect that a good portion of those people (not all of them, obviously, but most) who screamed every time President Obama did one were more upset that he figured out a way to keep doing stuff after the Republican Senate and House refused to work with him on anything than they were about the actual ability of a president to issue them. It’s just another example of the Republican’s “when we do it, it’s ok” mindset that has become increasingly prevalent over the years.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide