Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

AaronMk
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Sky funeral
Colonialism is just the weirdest flex on people who never asked for it. Like imagine someone busting into your house and telling you your drapes are wrong and then looting the furniture and the fridge.

And then insists on living in the master bedroom rent free.
Background Pony #5040
@The Smiling Pony  
I dunno I feel like this one of the cases where the bad things clearly outweighs the good, like certain war and certain regime in the middle of 20th century discrediting eugenics for most people or jim crow laws and lynching causing the Civil Rights movement.
Background Pony #5040
Also aw my second post was eaten by the change of page, here:

@Background Pony #7A39  
@AaronMk
Which rises actually interesting question of whenever Iberian cultures such as Galicians, Leonese, Asturians, Castilians, Aragonese and Catalans were present as we know them or at least somehow close to that during Visigoths rule over most of Spain, right before the Arab invasion.
I am personally inclined to not think so, as it honestly close to saying what for Example Russians and Ukrainians at the height of the Kievan Rus or even before Rurik, or insisting what there were Austrians or Bavarians during reign of Charlemagne.
AaronMk
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Sky funeral
@AaronMk
Which rises actually interesting question of whenever Iberian cultures such as Galicians, Leonese, Asturians, Castilians, Aragonese and Catalans were present as we know them or at least somehow close to that during Visigoths rule over most of Spain, right before the Arab invasion.
I am personally inclined to not think so, as it honestly close to saying what for Example Russians and Ukrainians at the height of the Kievan Rus or even before Rurik, or insisting what there were Austrians or Bavarians during reign of Charlemagne.

Well as I recall the narrative of Spanish development going, there wasn’t any sort of move towards a full Spanish until the Reconquista was in full swing. The first nominally Spanish-esque piece of literature being the Cantar de mio Cid in the late 11th century, where as the Moorish invasion was in the 8th century, by which point I think the only still-existing cultural population from that time would be the Basques. About the 11th century is when we can say Castillian and Leonese and so on did exist, but by the 8th they probably weren’t even trending into existence yet.

to relate this to colonialism though, with exception of the Crusades classical conquest such as this is different from the later post-15th century era of colonialism by how the act was merely a change in local leadership than total top-down reshaping of the landscape. While the Moors didn’t seek to eliminate Christians or Jews and maintained their populations, they certainly didn’t like it though when Muslims converted to either or; they didn’t seek to totally eliminate and re-write millennia of independent cultural development, enslaving a people and then enforcing their cultural supremacy on the population as in the later Spanish conquest of Central and South America where entire structures were destroyed and the native populations pushed to the fringes and made as near-slaves by the foreign master class with rolling repercussions today in which wide-scale atrocities and genocides into the modern era is the go-to to maintaining dominance of the population.

Pre-modern periods were much more dominated already by very localized cultures and it would have been excruciatingly difficult for the institutions then to try and enforce any sort of cultural hegemony, so even the migration of Romans from Italy following their conquests didn’t see the extinction of a cultural, but more the intermarrying of the two groups until they reached a synthesis. Versus, well: Americans sweeping aside the Native Americans into tiny reservations and then clear into the seventies or eighties trying to educate out of existence all evidence of being Cherokee, Shawnee, and so on.

And besides Genghis Khan of Tamerlane there hasn’t been any significant long-term and targeted effort to physically destroy a landscape until very much later into industrialized colonialism. Hawaii is still suffering from long term physical and legal impacts of plantation-system sugar operations that’s seen much of the islands desertified through abuse of the otherwise carefully managed water resources prior to the arrival of Yankee missionaries.

But much more often the impact of colonialism as talked about is the recent kind because it’s still having living and breathing impacts on entire segments of the world, a large majority of it really that’s laid the foundations for troubled internal and multi-national politics to this day. And with the emphasis of “Well X’s culture is bad therefore we need to teach them” underlines the backwards parental outlook on it, by making what’d otherwise be an internal matter no longer your own. It’s busting down the front door to teach someone otherwise simply because you don’t agree or share the same epistemic structure as you, and then staying there to live.

What even makes western cultural attitudes so “good”?
The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@AaronMk  
Not Basque, they’ve always considered themselves separate (and superior) to the rest of the peninsula. It’d be Navarre and Asturias where the concept of “spanish culture”, and “reconquering” the peninsula originated. Mostly people weren’t all that happy about being made second class citizens due to their religion and the royals pushed hard on that point. Ironic that later on in the (re)conquest they’d go and do the same, later even outright expulsing the sefardis and, obviously, imposing christianity in the “new world”*.

*A part of that was less to do with religious zeal and a lot with how deeply the church had woven itself in legal spanish institutions; there wasn’t a way or a community to function without the church handling certain matters.

@Background Pony #7A39  
Outweigh? Sure, probably.
RoseShelf
Wallet After Summer Sale -

@The Smiling Pony  
Woah woah woah, superior? Since when!? They mostly just considered themselves different and deserving of their own control instead of that from Leon or Madrid. And even counting the Carlist wars (which is more about money and the church than national identity), that’s a very incorrect way of saying how the Basque have felt over the Spaniards or Castillians.
AaronMk
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Sky funeral
@AaronMk
Not Basque, they’ve always considered themselves separate (and superior) to the rest of the peninsula.

Well, they are superior. They literally did not invent skin-based rascism. They are the Anti-Gamer. They don’t have the rascism factory for their fail sons, so they never get fail sons.
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@RoseShelf  
@AaronMk  
Hah, no, instead they invented bloodtype-based racism. Nevermind how you’re not accepted as one of them, even with the right blood and eye colour, unless you can trace back your last names back four generations or more.
RoseShelf
Wallet After Summer Sale -

@The Smiling Pony  
I’m guessing you got this info from the film “Cuatro Apellidos Vascos” instead of the actual history of the Iberian Peninsula or any source on Basque Nationalism, like the rising of the PNV party, which had racial connotation that was basically just “muh liberals are tryna crush my traditions of le church with a separation of state and church” but died out after the Carlist wars; up to the abertzale left terrorism of the 70s and the current climate on the Basque Country which is WAY DIFFERENT and since never about race superiority but rather another culture taking over for le colonisation flex.
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@RoseShelf  
No, I got it from studying Sabino Arana, aka the founder and still spiritual north of the PNV, aka the principal and main Basque ruling party, well before that movie came to be (nor have I seen, because tbh spanish movies are typically trash anyway). Though I agree on the “culture taking over for le colonisation flex”, seeing how PNV’n co. want to put Navarre under its flag and control.
AaronMk
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Sky funeral
@AaronMk
Failsons are eternal, even without the racism factories

It’s kinda hard to fail son when the people ruling you failson’d so hard they collapsed the economy of Europe, spent heavily into incest and silly wars, and ever since have been bullied by the French and baby America. Basque failsons join glorious ETA and through martyrdom to Franco become normal unimpressive sons.
Katamariguy

@MethidMan  
It’s not about whether it “makes sense” or not, it’s about how full a picture you’re getting of an enormous and controversial field from a brief video with a narrow focus.
Ereiam
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - Organization is important.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Monde de merde
@The Smiling Pony  
Well, a Spaniard would be hard-pressed to call ETA “glorious” (same as an Englishman about the IRA, a Frenchman about the FLN – or the FLNC, for that matter –, a Moroccan about the Polisario Front, a Mexican about the EZLN, a Yankee about the Confederacy, a continental Chinese about the Kuomintang, etc, etc).
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Ereiam  
I normally don’t hear people cheering for murderous animals around here, so it’s a bit jarring to hear the european version of ISIS or the KKK being called “glorious” for meme points.
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@AaronMk  
Ah yes, every one of ETA’s victims was a fascists. Obviously none of their bombs murderd or maimed innocent bystanders, even all the people in Hipercor were card carrying falangists, as was every one of the people they sequestered and executed. Silly me.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide