Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

neutralgrey
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -

Ouch…I really wish he avoided making jokes about it because he’s kinda right. America’s overly competitive culture is a big factor as to why many young men feel like trash. I know it’s why I feel like trash. Look at me, 23 and still living with my parents. Meanwhile during WW2 men younger than me were risking their lives and being heroes. I’m trying to change my life but it takes time to change your life and not everyone in America is patient
neutralgrey
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -

@The Smiling Pony  
Yeah he is an elitist prick, he was on the ball at first (ignoring the fact that he was trying to make jokes about a serious topic) but then shat the bed when he blamed it on phones. No Bill, you just said it was the culture! Phones are just tools! You don’t see this shit happening in Europe as often as it does here!
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@CaptainXtra

No, he’s a through and through Democrat. It’s just that the Overton Window has been pushed far enough to the right that today’s Dems would are effectively yesterday’s Reps.
AaronMk
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab

Sky funeral
@Dustcan
Pretty much, I guess that all started with Bill Clinton

The rightward shift started before Clinton. Generally people put the pin on Reagan whose economic policies haven’t been changed all that much since then. While Clinton was a Dem he only helped accelerate the Reagan policy and lumping more and more stress on the individual, for “making the individual responsible” to borrow a Bush-ism. But this trend wasn’t started with Reagan, Carter has been called the first NeoLiberal president, with the turn from unions and economic policy oriented towards alligning macro-economic policy to Micro-economic behaviorial theory; what is best for the economy is best to the “rational decision making” of the individual, and thus any collectively won arrangements must be accomplished by the individual.

Tasty for share-holders come Reagan acceleration.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
@neutralgrey

@AaronMk

Hindsight is 20/20, and over 200 years of history lets one see the fallout of any politician pretty well. We’re now a decade removed from when the last US president was sworn in no less. Feel free to fact check me, but AFAIK at the most basic:

America’s shift to the right can be traced at least as far back as Nixon. His implementing of the Southern Strategy meant the Republicans started their first appeals to the racist portion of the population, incidentally starting the Republican’s slide to the social right (a slide that never stopped…).

Then as mentioned Carter started the shift towards shilling for Big Business, an economic shift to the right that effects both parties now.

Then Reagan happened, and his implementation of Reagonomics put the Republicans on an even greater slide to the economic right (which also never stopped…).

Then Clinton happened. His influence transformed the Democratic party into a party of Centrism and “compromise”. However by this time the Reps started their transformation into what they are today in earnest, so the Democrats focus on being Moderate instead of Left worked to the Rep’s advantage as it meant Dems would now willingly meet them halfway to negotiate (no matter how far the Reps are).

Bush happened, but when it comes to Bush himself everyone just kinda whistles and hopes the conversation moves on. The real event was definitely 9/11 and the War On Terror shaping America’s position on global politics (re:We decided to be the World Police even though literally nobody asked us to).

Obama didn’t really change anything (no pun intended). But his presidency did pull the curtain back on just how far we’ve come. Republicans are by now full blown obstructionists and Conservatives-Going-On-Reactionaries, 100% willing and planning to take advantage of the Democrat’s new position of “Compromise” to drag the Overton Window further in their direction.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
The author, who compares today’s world events to the rise of fascism in the 1930s, writes: “I didn’t think of myself as especially political compared with some of my fellow travellers, but when asked to kill a relatively anodyne reference to an Orange Skull I realised that perhaps it had been irresponsible to be playful about the dire existential threat we now live with, and I withdrew my introduction.
“International fascism again looms large … and the dislocations that have followed the global economic meltdown of 2008 helped bring us to a point where the planet itself seems likely to melt down,” he writes. “Armageddon seems somehow plausible and we’re all turned into helpless children scared of forces grander than we can imagine, looking for respite and answers in superheroes flying across screens in our chapel of dreams.”
The writer and artist closes his essay by pointing out that Marvel Entertainment chairman, the US billionaire Isaac ‘Ike’ Perlmutter, “is a longtime friend of Donald Trump’s, an unofficial and influential adviser and a member of the president’s elite Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida. And Perlmutter and his wife have each recently donated $360,000 (the maximum allowed) to the Orange Skull’s ‘Trump Victory Joint Fundraising Committee’ for 2020.” Spiegelman adds that he has been forced to learn “yet again that everything is political”.

Marvel is now doing literal Polictical Correctness in defense of Trump.
neutralgrey
Silver Bit -

@TheMagpulPone  
Once again you’ve made a bad argument that amounts to nothing. You’re generalizing and strawmanning everyone on the left by saying that, that would be like if I said that the Right consists of snowflakes who get triggered when you say happy holidays. Just because some idiots on the right get triggered upon hearing happy holidays doesn’t mean everyone on the right is the same way. I got out of my way not to generalize like that, and I’d appreciate it if you’d extend the same fucking curtesy
neutralgrey
Silver Bit -

@Dustcan  
The Purge fucking sucks though. They had so much potential to make it a crazy awesome action movie or show but instead they went for a boring pretentious jumpscare horror movie that’s easily forgettable if it wasn’t for the concept
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide