Viewing last 25 versions of post by Valerie Shimmerwing in topic Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Valerie Shimmerwing
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Sir, if the people have it in their option, to elect their most meritorious men; is this to be considered as an objection? Shall the constitution oppose their wishes, and abridge their most invaluable privilege? While property continues to be pretty equally divided, and a considerable share of information pervades the community; the tendency of the people’s suffrages, will be to elevate merit even from obscurity. As riches increase and accumulate in few hands; as luxury prevails in society; virtue will be in a greater degree considered as only a graceful appendage of wealth, and the tendency of things will be to depart from the republican standard. This is the real disposition of human nature: It is what, neither the honorable member nor myself can correct. It is a common misfortune, that awaits our state constitution, as well as all others.

--Alexander Hamilton, "_[*New York Ratifying Convention, First Speech of June 21_":*](https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Hamilton/01-05-02-0012-0011)
No reason given
Edited by Valerie Shimmerwing
Valerie Shimmerwing
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Sir, if the people have it in their option, to elect their most meritorious men; is this to be considered as an objection? Shall the constitution oppose their wishes, and abridge their most invaluable privilege? While property contines to be pretty equally divided, and a considerable share of information pervades the community; the tendency of the people’s suffrages, will be to elevate merit even from obscurity. As riches increase and accumulate in few hands; as luxury prevails in society; virtue will be in a greater degree considered as only a graceful appendage of wealth, and the tendency of things will be to depart from the republican standard. This is the real disposition of human nature: It is what, neither the honorable member nor myself can correct. It is a common misfortune, that awaits our state constitution, as well as all others.
--Alexander Hamilton, "_New York Ratifying Convention, First Speech of June 21_":https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Hamilton/01-05-02-0012-0011
No reason given
Edited by Valerie Shimmerwing