Viewing last 25 versions of post by SuperSupermario24 in topic Stupid stuff that comes to mind that we want to post

SuperSupermario24
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

fluffy sylveon
"[@Meanlucario":](/generals/stupid-stuff-that-comes-to-mind-that-we-want-to-post/post/3575750#post_3575750

)

I think "[Wikipedia sums it up best":](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory):
[bq]

>
A *scientific theory* is an explanation of an aspect of the natural world that can be repeatedly tested, in accordance with the scientific method, using a predefined protocol of observation and experiment. Established scientific theories have withstood rigorous scrutiny and embody scientific knowledge.

>
>
The definition of a scientific theory (often contracted to "theory" for the sake of brevity) as used in the disciplines of science is significantly different from the common vernacular usage of the word "theory". **In everyday speech, "theory" can imply that something is an unsubstantiated and speculative guess, +__the opposite of its meaning in science+__.*[/bq]

In other words, someone who tries to say "it's just a theory" to dismiss evolution has no idea what they're talking about. Evolution is a _*scientific_* theory, which means that, as far as science is concerned, it's fact.
No reason given
Edited by SuperSupermario24
SuperSupermario24

fluffy sylveon
"@Meanlucario":/generals/stupid-stuff-that-comes-to-mind-that-we-want-to-post/post/35757050#post_3575705
[bq="Meanlucario"] "@Dragonpone":/generals/stupid-stuff-that-comes-to-mind-that-we-want-to-post/post/35757
03#post_3575703

I'm asking since my younger brother and father got into a "debate" about religion, and my brother is saying that evolution is now a fact instead of a theory. [/bq]I think "Wikipedia sums it up best":https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory:

[bq]A *scientific theory* is an explanation of an aspect of the natural world that can be repeatedly tested, in accordance with the scientific method, using a predefined protocol of observation and experiment. Established scientific theories have withstood rigorous scrutiny and embody scientific knowledge.

The definition of a scientific theory (often contracted to "theory" for the sake of brevity) as used in the disciplines of science is significantly different from the common vernacular usage of the word "theory". *In everyday speech, "theory" can imply that something is an unsubstantiated and speculative guess, +the opposite of its meaning in science+.*[/bq]
In other words, someone who tries to say "it's just a theory" to dismiss evolution has no idea what they're talking about. Evolution is a _scientific_ theory, which means that, as far as science is concerned, it's fact.
No reason given
SuperSupermario24

fluffy sylveon
"@Meanlucario":/generals/stupid-stuff-that-comes-to-mind-that-we-want-to-post/post/3575705#post_3575705
[bq="Meanlucario"] "@Dragonpone":/generals/stupid-stuff-that-comes-to-mind-that-we-want-to-post/post/3575703#post_3575703
I'm asking since my younger brother and father got into a "debate" about religion, and my brother is saying that evolution is now a fact instead of a theory. [/bq]I think "Wikipedia sums it up best":https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory:

[bq]A *scientific theory* is an explanation of an aspect of the natural world that can be repeatedly tested, in accordance with the scientific method, using a predefined protocol of observation and experiment. Established scientific theories have withstood rigorous scrutiny and embody scientific knowledge.

The definition of a scientific theory (often contracted to "theory" for the sake of brevity) as used in the disciplines of science is significantly different from the common vernacular usage of the word "theory". *In everyday speech, "theory" can imply that something is an unsubstantiated and speculative guess, +the opposite of its meaning in science+.*[/bq]
In other words, someone who tries to say "it's just a theory" to dismiss evolution has no idea what they're talking about. Evolution is a _scientific_ theory, which means that, as far as science is concerned, it's fact.
No reason given