Star Wars General

Darth Prime
You are being deceived - Derpi Supporter
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Bronze Bit -
Ruby -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

@Meanlucario
In that case, why not go all the way, and give up on having the movies be “canon” either?
Just film things in a “Star Wars style” and don’t worry about continuity or consistency.

Because then they’ll have to reinvent it with each reboot which can lead to it looking nothing like Star Wars.

Star Wars didn’t really need EUs it was just one universe one timeline one history that was what made it unique from other franchises when talk about EU and splitting timelines like for example the Zelda timeline(s) it takes away what made it special.
Latecomer

@Darth Prime  
Perhaps it didn’t “need” it, but it was arguably a bigger thing than the films to many fans (particularly during the 90s)and a big moneymaker for Lucasfilm.

And it was one universe, one timeline, one history - at least, as well as any big one holds together. It wasn’t until the CGI Clone Wars series that things started falling apart, and Disney ditching Legends should have fixed that and given a clean slate.
Meanlucario
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Time to get spooky
@Darth Prime  
I feel like you’re being overly salty about me problems with how continuity has been handled in Star Wars, especially in Legends.

Only to those who deal only in absolutes.

Again, being canon and being good aren’t connected at all. The problem is people demanding that only what they like be canon and why they don’t like doesn’t be canon, a mentality that has been around since Legends. Stop twisting my words to make my point seem much worst than it is.

@Latecomer  
Because the movies are their own continuity. Still, one could argue about a Lucas canon and a Disney canon.

@Latecomer  
Honestly, the EU is great, just shouldn’t been forced into one canon and should have some freedom. I wouldn’t be against different author working on the same continuity, since ideas mixing usually isn’t bad.

I will argue that the continuity wasn’t that stable even before the Clone Wars. Watch Eck’s book club videos, since they aren’t afraid to point out when the continuity crashes with itself. And I’m pretty sure that Skippy the Droid was written before the Clone Wars, meaning that they were already deeming “undesirables” not canon before than.
Latecomer

@Meanlucario  
Yeah, there were problems, issues, flaws and mistakes - and some people probably got a bit too worked up over them. But they didn’t destroy continuity or canon, because the will to preserve it was stronger.

Fan fiction is a great thing - sometimes even official fanfiction. But in this day and age, is is so hard to offer more - a true multimedia universe?
Meanlucario
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Latecomer  
Like the super weapon that was the Mary Sue of super weapons? The Sun Crusher is a prime example that isn’t true, since it and what it’s made of never left its book, because otherwise everyone would be using the material that can withstand a glancing shot of a Death Star, survive going through either a star or blackhole (I forget with), and can ram through a Star Destroyer without a scratch. It’s not the “will to preserve” that made Star Wars’s EU survive, it’s how powerful it is and people focusing on the parts they like and ignoring the parts they didn’t.

If you think about the Legends EU as fan fiction, than it already there. All that’s needed is to embrace it and focus on it being good and/or fun rather than being canon, and Visions seems to be taking that step.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Latecomer  
Like stories about the same characters in situations that they couldn’t be in within the movies have no real appeal.

And again, it’s just more than one continuity. It’s not about tastes, but freedom to tell stories that don’t need to fit into another story’s continuity. You can still have multiple authors contributing to one continuity, but also others enjoying their own. The only downside is people who demands everything fit into one continuity, which even Legends failed at considering it had to resort to tiers of canon.
Latecomer

@Meanlucario  
No. But if each work includes some subtle references to other works, people will be more likely to try those too IMO. And even more so if they influence each other in large ways.

And as I said… no reason to have any proper continuity for the films either, then.
Latecomer

@Meanlucario  
Maybe. But I think having Star Wars products be no more bound to each other than stories on FimFiction is not nescessarily better by any means. If people want to read Star Wars fanfic, there’s plenty online.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Latecomer  
But they are already reading Star Wars fan fic when they read EU books. That’s my point. And they are more connected than you’d think, since no one is stopping them from working together.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
Star Wars could benefit with it’s own version of The Black Libary. A repository of canon and near canon works that changes as time goes on.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Zincy  
That’s what Visions is likely meant to be. I just hope that people aren’t too focused on “is it canon” to give it a try for the petty reason of it not being “canon.”
Latecomer

@Meanlucario  
But no-one would know what was true or not. Imagine if several writers filled in the same blank space differently - like how the Manes had all sorts of fanon parents before we got their canon ones. Don’t you think that would cause some confusion?
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Latecomer  
They all would be true, though. AUs are alternate universes where things are different. At most, the movies would be the base canon. And all they would need is an indicator on the cover or title screen to say what continuity they’re a part of. It’s less confusing than the tier system that bends to the whim of personal taste.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Latecomer  
Again, just put the name of the continuity it’s base on/in and it should work. Everyone uses the wiki anyway, so that would help clear things up. And it’s easier than explaining to them why their favorite story isn’t “canon.”
Latecomer

@Meanlucario  
Maybe. Although the existence of the wiki arguably enables the alternative, as well - the fully integrated franchise Disney promised.

Ah well, I don’t follow Star Wars anymore anyway, so why do I care….
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Latecomer  
I fail to see how. Wiki articles can be misleading or false, and using wikis as your source of info when making an official movie/book/game is a grave mistake.

Could have fooled me base on how many comments you posted on the topic. I say look into Visions, since that will be Disney attempt at letting others do what they want with the universe, with no need for continuity baggage. Maybe it will reignite the flame for you.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide