Sonic Discussion

Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Galeem Crusher  
Is it like the Zelda or Mario ones?

@Dex Stewart  
You forgot Bernedette from the Archie canon.

@Penguin Dragneel  
Shame, as I was looking forward to that game. (As it was made by Sonic’s creators Yuji Naka & Naoto Oshima, and looked like a spiritual successor to NiGHTS.) I guess Square/Enix can’t do platformers.

@Cosmas-the-Explorer  
“Rise of Lyric” is nowadays considered worse then Sonic’06.

Another bad one was the GBA remake of Sonic 1 “Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis.” (How do you screw up Sonic 1? At least, the DS & 3DS ones were good.)

@Red-Supernova  
I wasn’t accusing you, sorry if I came off that way. Just warning you not to go down that dark path as I’ve seen some fans have.

I actually understand your plight, I actually like those games, and I’m partial to the GBA/Dreamcast/GameCube era of Sonic.  
I’ll even say, despite it’s flaws, “Sonic Heroes” is probably my favorite 3D Sonic game. I even enjoyed it’s cheesy constant character dialogue, which gave it StarFox64 vibes.

I remember how surprised I was that Amy Rose said “Oh my God!” Which back then was considered a minor swear.
Penguin Dragneel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
@Beau Skunky  
There were a multitude of reasons as to why it failed.

1. The game basically had no budget. The only thing high quality behind it were the CGI cutscenes, and they almost didn’t make it in.

2. Square Enix basically had no faith in it. They said Naka only had one chance to make a platformer. If he squandered it, he’d have to fall under what they wanted him to do.

3. Naka thought it’d be a good idea to make it so that EVERY main button does the EXACT SAME ACTION. This also extends to the menus as well, and is especially aggravating when you have a costume that replaces your jump with another action.

4. The game had no marketing. At all. I betcha the only people who knew what it was were fans of Sonic, and considering this is the Sonic fanbase we’re talking about, they probably didn’t have high hopes for this.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Penguin Dragneel  
Guess that means Naka “squandered” it now, which unfortunatly means we’re not going to see much from him, or anymore Square collaborations.

The “one button” thing works for Sonic, but not for everything.
Penguin Dragneel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Artist -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
@Beau Skunky  
The big problem is that one button doesn’t work for a 3D platformer featuring costumes that have different abilities. It basically adds tedium and frustration, as the arbitrary controls end up prolonging your time in the level. And considering the boring and incredibly easy level design, that’s not a good thing.
Goodbyeforever

The Amazon Music listing of “Sonic Non-Stop Collection Vol. 5” accidentally misspelled “Sonic Unleashed” as “Sonic Unleahsed” for both Cool Edge tracks.
Red-Supernova
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@Penguin Dragneel  
I haven’t heard much of Balan Wonderworld lately outside of the talk around the game’s problems before and one month after its release.

@Cosmas-the-Explorer  
You sure? That’s cool that they like SA2 as well. Even though I love the game as they do, I’m aware it has its faults. Heck, I remember someone made a mod where the radar for the treasure hunting stages worked like SA1’s radar. I would be down for mods that gave each 3D Sonic game quality of life updates that might help patch out the problems people might have had for these games and might like them a bit more. And its not just for the 2000s games but even the 2010s games.

Heh heh, Sonic 06 is such lovable mess of a game that I can’t hate it as well. Even though I have yet to play it myself.

@Beau Skunky  
Its fine, I’m not going to fall down that dark path.

Same here. I like Heroes as well but man is it the hardest game when it comes to wanting to A rank a level. The stages get too damn long and so many bottomless pits. X_X I like the banter from the characters as well (“LOOK AT THEM EGGMAN’S ROBOTS!”) but when I’m trying to focus on acing a stage, I kinda wish there was a voice mute option. No offense to the characters themselves but I can only listen to their dialogue so many times that I’ll lose focus.  
This addresses another thing that I want to ask peoples’ opinions on regarding 3D Sonic. Level rankings. Are they an overall detriment to enjoying these games or provide a tough challenge but need some balancing to make so that you can screw up a bit and still get a chance at getting an A or S rank.

@Penguin Dragneel  
Holy crap. Why would Square-Enix want the game to fail? Did they just have it out for Yuji Naka and thought they could write the game off as a tax write-off?

@Beau Skunky  
Part of me wonders if I should feel bad for Naka or not. Square-Enix set him up to fail but then after watching the “Wha Happen?” video for Sonic X-Treme and how Naka treated the company behind that game, it should feel like he got karma delivered to him.
Angrybrony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

🔥Sunset is best girl🔥
I super hope belle goes to live with cream and her family and have like a sister relationship with gemeral and cream. It’s what she disserves after this last arc.
Angrybrony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

🔥Sunset is best girl🔥
hey can i get a link to the comic mandats that sege has and a link to were to find them and were flynn talks about them. some schmuck is needing a roasting on another site.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Angrybrony  
I’m not sure, but you could try Ian Flynn’s now defunct (but still archived) message board the Bumbleking forums. Though,if this guy you’re arguing with is anti-Ian/anti-Archie/anti-IDW/anti-whatever he’ll probably just say Ian is “lying,” and continue to insist the mandates “don’t exist.”

In which case you could try to look up Ken Penders’ site, where even Ken has many stories of having to work with mandates, and his many clashes with them.

I really don’t understand why some of those conspiracy theorist Sonic fans claim there “are no mandates on the comics, and the writers can do whatever they want.”  
Do they seriously believe a paranoid Japanese game company isn’t going to have mandates, and ensure Americans aren’t going to mess up their character/franchise?  
There’s also plenty of evidance of Sega making the writers/editors/artists change things in the comics, if you look on blogs, old Sonic sites, and stuff.

In fact, if the writers could have “done whatever they want,” then the Archie Sonic series would’ve been allowed to use Cream and Omega before 2008. (They used to be forbidden for some reason. Rumor state Cream wasn’t allowed, because she was in “Sonic X,” and they had to wait until that show ended.)

@Cosmas-the-Explorer  
I enjoy both, though both have their flaws and strengths.

@Red-Supernova  
I think maybe the ranking system could stand to be a little easier.

Well, Naka may of been a pain to STI and such Sonic co-developers over the years, but regardless I was hoping it’d be a good game, so we could get more Sega-like fantasy games from Naka and Oshima.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Angrybrony  
Here is a tweet of Ian Flynn having to spell out, I don’t make the rules, Sega does.

I also don’t get why the fanaticsl Sally fans, (pains me to say that as a Sally/SatA.M./Archie fan myself) are trying to blame Ian for Sally not being allowed in the IDW comic series. Before writing the comic he was a well known Archie & SatA.M. fan.  
He utylized her alot in the old Archie series, (and I remember anti-Sally fans demonized him back then for that) so the “Ian hates Sally” rumors hold no water for me as I doubt he woke up one morning and decided he suddenly “hates” her, ans needs to get rid of her, so he can have a bunch of amgry fanboys on his case constantly…  
He had many opportunities in the Archie series to get rid of her if he wanted. (Like the attack on Knothole, the egg grapes, the Death Egg incident, the first & second Genesis waves, her roboticization, and such.) If he hated her, she would’ve been gone a decade or so back.

I remember Ian remarked somewhere that everytime he writes an issue with Sally prominently featured he gets called an “Amy hater, SonSal fanboy, ect.”  
But then when he writes an issue focusing on Amy instead, he gets called a “Sally-hating, SonAmy fanboy, ect.”

I know what that’s like… Because being a fan of both, I get accused of that bull too anytime I defend EITHER character, or so much as say I like a certain canon, or the other!  
I tire of the “Sally VS Amy” and “Main game canon VS SatA.M. canon” or “Japanese Sonic VS American Sonic” crap, because I like all those things.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Dex Stewart  
I kinda hate that idea, because I like having different canons, and such. Plus that might upset some fans, and things like certain places, features, characters, and contradicting backstories won’t mesh together.  
Like Sonic’s different orgins of… Being a science experiment gone wrong, (Fleetway) or being a schoolkid whom becomes a superhero, (manga) being raised by his uncle, (SatA.M. and/or Archie) having a royal family, (Sonic Underground) or being raised by owl Mom. (Movie.)

Besides, some things like the Archie series was like a canon combonation game/cartoon/original mash-up already, and some game or SatA.M. fans hated it anyway, or wouldn’t accept meshing the canons together. (I was fine with it, and granted they did some clever things. Like the creation of the special zone out of the “Zone of Silence,” and such.)

Other canons like “Sonic X” even adapted some game storylines, but contradicted/changed some things from the games. (Like replacing Amy with Chris.)  
But taking some liberties can be good sometimes. I liked how the SA2 episode arc in SX actually made the former GUN soldier whom shot Maria, (and regrets it) became a more sympathetic character.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Cosmas-the-Explorer  
Yeah, though it’s not a unique quirk.

Look at all the different versions of Batman, TMNT, and even MLP there are in the many different comics, movies, TV shows, and such.  
Multiple canons isn’t a strange thing, heck almost every new JRPG is a reboot or new set of heroes in every new game. At least, Sonic gives us the same beloved cast, even if they differ slightly as years go on.

I do however wish Classic Sonic & Modern Sonic were still treated as the “past/younger and future/older” versions of Sonic like in “Sonic Generations,” but that is now retconned by Sega in “Forces,” and stuff, and now they’re A.U.s…  
Because of this, now “classic” characters like Mighty, Ray, Nack, and such aren’t allowed in modern style Sonic games/comics. (Maybe that’s why Sally and such aren’t allowed in IDW either.)
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
I wish Cream met Amy and Sticks in Sonic Boom. I bet Sticks would he jealous of Cream who is more proper and elegant than Sticks could ever hope to be.

Also I think another version of Team Rose could be that Amy as Power, Cream as Flight and Sticks as Speed. I think they would make a fun trio with some funny chemistry with each other.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Cosmas-the-Explorer  
Nice idea, though I’d still like Big the cat on the team…

Yeah, yeah, I know he’s considered the “Jar Jar Binks” of Sonic, (even his original voice actor John St. “Duke Nukem” John hates him) but honestly I never found Big annoying, and I like his unique Miyazaki-ish design.  
I like him on Team Rose, ‘cause he’s kinda like the big protective brother, and he’s a good foil to Amy & Cream.

@LightningBolt  
Same. I’m shocked some think “Pony Life” is a continuation of FIM, or some try to say G4 continues off G1, and such. (Meaning there would be two Tireks and such…)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide