Sonic Discussion

Penguin Dragneel
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
@Beau Skunky  
That’s one thing TSR got right. They could’ve easily turned the coins and gacha slots into bonafied EA approved “surprise mechanics,” but they held their ground and kept them out.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Sparx  
“Ground squirrel” is what she’s supposed to be, according to the Archie Sonic comics, but her design is based off “Ricky the Squirrel” one of the cute mini animals Sonic rescues from badniks in the games.

In fact, the other Freedom Fighters are based on the tiny rescue animals.
Background Pony #4B79
After seeing some reviews, I am honestly beginning to theorize a certain Sonic game began development as a simple slow-paced platformer that was unrelated to the franchise, with the only protagonist being a customizable character. Then the creators for some reason thought it should be a Sonic title, so they shoehorned in Sonic characters and locales.

Story:  
There was originally a decently written storyline when the game began development, that has been given plot holes when the Sonic universe was introduced that gradually became worse as more parts of the game’s plot were given adjustments during development. They needed to turn Sonic into the lead protagonist, so they had to adjust the plot to accommodate the fact there is now also multiple protagonists in the game, and turned the customizable character into a sidekick. But they still wanted preserve most of the plot, so they tried making slight re-writes to parts of it multiple times in an attempt to make it fit within the Sonic universe, neglecting the continuity of both itself and the Sonic franchise in general.

Gameplay:  
The normal boost gauge was originally used only for ammunition. The weapons originally weren’t based on wisps, and each had two different magical properties that are each refilled under different conditions. To give the gameplay a faster pace, they decided to cut the ammunition idea entirely and tried to make the avatar’s top speed faster. They never changed enough of the level design to work with fast paced gameplay, resulting in some very short levels. “Double boost” was originally a generic temporary power-up (whatever it was) that was turned into automated hallway sections after the regular boost made it redundant, with the gauge originally being a simple timer. Classic Sonic was originally meant to be “wisponless avatar”, where the avatar only had a grappling hook to assist them.

Conclusion:  
I think what actually happened was that they tried to combine and preserve two clashing concepts and it resulted in a huge mess of a game. However, there is also a chance it could just be coincidence. However, I’m also sure this game would have been even more bland if it wasn’t a Sonic game.

(I am sure I may have missed a few things when writing this…)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide