Sonic Discussion

Dr_Osaka
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Sata Andagi!
@TheHappySpaceman  
Yeah but my issue and I’m sure most others is that he’s a blank slate, nothing more then an avatar to serve the purpose of giving kids who watch the illusion that they are the ones interacting with Sonic and his friends; and in doing so he becomes really boring, not having any powers that could make him useful and mostly taking a lot of the more emotional away from other characters (Like with Shadow’s death).  
For me he’s easily my least favorite Sonic character, even more then Big, Charmy and Silver.
TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
@Dr_Osaka  
He’s my least favorite for all the reasons you listed, too, but here’s what gets me the most:

I get that the intention was to make him an audience surrogate character, someone that the young male viewer could place himself in the shoes of. The biggest problem with that, however, is that he absolutely fails at it. After all, how can the young audience members identify with a boy whose father is a billionaire CEO, whose mother is a movie star, and who grows up with maids, butlers, and Doc Brown as his grandpa? I’m pretty sure most kids don’t have that, even in Japan.
Dr_Osaka
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Sata Andagi!
@TheHappySpaceman  
Yeah it’s like trying to identify with Richie Rich in that sense.  
Much like Elise he doesn’t serve any purpose to the show as he’s not helpful at all, and growing up as a Sonic fan you would want to do all the cool stuff he can, not always have to rely on him saving you.  
In contrast this makes Amy a better character cause she can at least fight back and be useful at time.

Also sidenote the season finale where he purposely closes the portal gate keeping Sonic from going back to his world was one of the dumbest decisions he could have ever done.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
more people know who Chris thorndyke is then emerl and i’m mad about it.

Dude, alot of my favorite Sonic characters are obscure.  
Heck, Fang/Nack, Bark, and Bean aren’t even allowed in IDW.  
Emerl is at least allowed in IDW.

@TheHappySpaceman  
@Dr_Osaka
Agreed. At least he’s not a spoiled rich brat.

In fairness, he’s actually a nice kid, and kid’s can identify with some things about him perhaps, like being lonely, and such. (Though, he apparently does have school kid friends, so that lonliness thing doesn’t play off well.)

As Osaka says, Chris is hated for just being a blank token kid human friend, and because he oftentimes overshadowed main characters, including Spnic himself. (Some episodes, Sonic barely even shows up, except to fight the robot boss of the week.)

I did think it was kinda funny when he had to help Big the cat, in the Sonic Adventure 1 adaptation arc, and at least he got brushed to the side a bit in that.

A friend of mine says he thinks the series would’ve been better if Sonic & Co. befriended Helen, that wheelchair girl, instead of Chris, sense she was a li’l more likeable.  
(Ever notice many cartoons in the 2000s had a “token wheelchair/cripple kid?” Even “Dragon Tales” had a dragon kid in a wheelchair.)
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
Honestly I wasn’t as annoyed by Chris in Sonic X as I was Sonic himself. Goddamn that characterization was bad.

Also every time I mention obscure characters I like I get mocked and made fun of so you think you got it bad?
TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
Also sidenote the season finale where he purposely closes the portal gate keeping Sonic from going back to his world was one of the dumbest decisions he could have ever done.

Ugh, that was the worst. Almost as bad as season three, when he actually grew up and turned into a genius, only to change back into the whiny little brat from the first two seasons when he went back to Mobius.

@Beau Skunky  
In fairness, he’s actually a nice kid,

Nice enough that he stranded Sonic in his world at the end of season two?  
and kid’s can identify with some things about him perhaps, like being lonely, and such. (Though, he apparently does have school kid friends, so that lonliness thing doesn’t play off well.)

Yeah, that’s another problem. He doesn’t need Sonic. He has tons of friends and tons of money. He’s a privileged bastard.  
he oftentimes overshadowed main characters, including Spnic himself. (Some episodes, Sonic barely even shows up, except to fight the robot boss of the week.)

That’s one thing I feel the new movie got right: Never once did it feel like the human characters were placed in a higher priority than Sonic, which is also something it does better than other “CGI cartoon character in the real world” movies.  
A friend of mine says he thinks the series would’ve been better if Sonic & Co. befriended Helen, that wheelchair girl, instead of Chris, sense she was a li’l more likeable.

I’d agree with that. If they had her cling to Sonic as much as Chris did, it would be understandable since she’s never been able to experience running or going fast like that, and Sonic would be a good friend when she likely didn’t have as many.

Or hell, maybe Topaz should’ve been the main human character. Be sort of an April O’Neil/Elisa Maza-esque link between Sonic and friends and the human world.

@LightningBolt  
Honestly I wasn’t as annoyed by Chris in Sonic X as I was Sonic himself. Goddamn that characterization was bad.

What was wrong with Sonic, if I may ask? Was it because he was so egotistical? Because honestly, he usually seems that way to me.
Dex Stewart
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
As a kid,I didn’t mind Chris.As and adult,I wish he’d just leave.I didn’t find him to be spoiled or particularly annoying,just in the way.As a character he was about as bland as possible.The only regular human characters I liked were Topaz and Tanaka.I hated them as a couple though.
LightningBolt
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@TheHappySpaceman  
It was because the world worshiped him and the ground the walked on people that. That combined with people online bitching that ‘we wanna see more sonic’ while when I saw him, I was just irritated. I’ve always had an iffy relationship with Sonic himself, in some games and media he drives me crazy, not because of ego but because of how he’s written. In ‘good’ portrayals, he’s perfectly fine and not annoying. Good examples include SA2, SatAM, Archie (in most cases) Sonic And The Black Knight, while bad examples include Sonic Colors, Generations, Sonic X, Sonic Forces.  
I’ve never been the biggest fan of Sonic himself, and sometimes when I say that, people act like I’m not allowed to dislike the main character. Why? He’s just as much a character as all the rest, whom I tend to like more.
Sparx
Non-Fungible Trixie -

#115 Wassup Voltage!
@LightningBolt  
Well given he was overshadowed by an annoying kid at times and doesn’t sometimes doesn’t have any lines of dialogue are you surprised fans would want more of him?

SatAM I find he has a HUGE ego and his slang is …odd.

You’re allowed to dislike him but I still find it weird but you’re more of a Shadow fan girl so it’s understandable :p

I can’t understand staying with a franchise if you dislike the main character though. But that’s just me.
LightningBolt

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Marx  
I said it wasn’t because of ego, and in SatAM he had several other characters that bounced off him, much like in Archie and the good games to me. That balances things out and allows him to be flawed without it being detrimental.

I don’t see why it’s an issue to dislike a main character and still like the series, I doubt I’m the only one out there who does. (and i mean for every series ever with that line) lots of people on this site don’t like Twilight Sparkle, she’s a main character. Guess they better leave then.
Sparx
Non-Fungible Trixie -

#115 Wassup Voltage!
Also the portrayals you listed include games where writing seems like family guy skits with a whole ‘amiright guyz’ But people don’t love them for they story elements.

Also I’m aware the gameplay of those games don’t do anything for you either ;) .Since we’ve talked about that in the past.
TheHappySpaceman
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
@LightningBolt  
I think the new movie is a good portrayal of Sonic. He is still cocky and a little annoying sometimes, but it comes off to me like he’s using that to disguise his loneliness. (Oddly enough, a lot of fans didn’t like him in the new movie and thought he shouldn’t have had that added depth…)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide