Pokemon General [SFW, No NSFW]

Meanlucario
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Time to get spooky
@igotnopicks  
No, they don’t. I’m only talking about the sapience of pokemon in the mainline games (Red, Sapphire, White and the like). Still wish this topic would be dropped by now.
Meanlucario
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Latecomer  
There are always rumors. And again, I’m going off what the mainline games shows and tells us. If you want to continue this 2v1 (if not 3v1) “discussion,” than stick to that info and don’t go into what you want in the games or fan theories.
Latecomer

@Meanlucario  
Well, the games are pretty thin/ambiguous,especially the older ones. So there’s a lot of room for interpretation.

Obviously for something like this, there’s only the vaguest refrences. On the other hand, Pokemon sapience/intellignce is a lot more all over the place - especially looking at the Pokedex.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Latecomer  
It’s moreso uses the “what is convenient/funny” than ambiguous. Play a Digimon game to see what a world where sapient mons are like compared to Pokemon. It’s like night and day.

Outside of a demo and myth, it’s not referenced at all. And again, I never trust the dex since it’s infamous for making up shit like Magcargo’s body temperature or Cubone’s skull.
Latecomer

@Meanlucario  
I’m a longtime fan of both, and can tell the difference. (Although Digimon also has plenty of “feral” monsters as well, mainly as antagonists.)

And if you’re just going to ignore whatever doesn’t fit your own take - well, that’s fine. But that means it’s as much fanon as anyone elses. Because the games themselves don’t really deliver a consistent take.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Latecomer  
Outside of proper World games, digimon aren’t feral (no more than humans can be feral at least).

Dude, the pokedex is so bad that it’s a meme. If it said that human/pokemon relationships were never a thing I would ignore it because it’s unreliable. And again, if you guys weren’t trying to force what you like into the actual games, than I wouldn’t have a problem.
Latecomer

@Meanlucario  
Well, Digimon “canon” is even more jumbled… like, what’s the prime source? The V-pets?

And as for the games, they’ll do what they like and we can’t do anything about that. Although I think it’s very unlikely they’ll ever include romance between humans and Pokemon. Sapient Pokemon, on the other hand, is more likely (and may already have crept in here and there).

And yeah, the Dex is full of ridiculous stuff. So you have to be selective with it. But that is fanon when you get down to it. Pure game Pokemon world isn’t built for much but gaming.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Latecomer  
That’s because you’re trying to make many different continuities fit into one canon. It doesn’t work, and undermines each of them when you’re more focus on making them the same rather than appreciating their differences and what makes them unique.

Sapient pokemon are few and far between. I’m talking about the vast majority of pokemon, not a light-stealer from a parallel universe. And I think the breeding mechanic is a huge point against the theory that they are sapient.

I rather just throw it out entirely due to it’s unreliability rather than cherry pick from it’s entries to use as evidence one way or another. You want to avoid using unreliable sources in arguments because they tend to be unreliable, even if they say stuff you like.
Random-Rambling
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
@Meanlucario
Talking in human words? No. But they’re often able to make themselves more or less understood. (Still, if there wasn’t a limit people like N and Yellow wouldn’t be special…)

That’s actually a good question. Team Rocket Meowth doesn’t seem to be a particularly special Meowth, so how/why can he speak in human languages but most other Pokemon can’t?

Though it would be funny if N and Meowth met:

N: Yes, I can hear the voices of your Pokemon loud and clear! It is like they are speaking to me!

Meowth: That’s ‘cause I AM speakin’ to you, ya bozo!
Latecomer

@Meanlucario  
The thing about the game continuity, though, is that it doesn’t really stand on it’s own - too much is abstracted because of the game nature. If you want to squeeze even as solid a world as Equestria out of it, you have to fill the gaps in with something, whether that’s borrowing from other official media or just making it up yourself.

And if you’re going to say the Pokedex is inconsistent and nonsensical (and it is)… are the games as a whole much more consistent? Well, maybe.

@Random-Rambling  
Meowth is one of the enshrined oddities of the anime. Like how no-one ever seems to age.
Meanlucario
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Time to get spooky
@Latecomer  
The age thing is them not wanting to change things that much. It’s like why Marvel refuses to age Spiderman (making him less relatable, ironically enough).
Latecomer

@Meanlucario  
Indeed - but it’s a massive headache for people trying to make sense of the anime after the first few years. Just like all the games’ abstractions (and nonsensical Pokedex entries) make them difficult to work with. That’s why I’ve always gone synthesis for my “general” Pokemon headcanons - contrary to your above statement, I think it creates a much stronger lattice than any of these media that were not really meant to be thought about that deeply.
Latecomer

@Meanlucario  
But as I’ve said, the games alone have their own problems. I don’t think there’s any Pokemon media that can be said to really make much sense on it’s own, beyond it’s narrative focus.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide