Metroid series discussion

Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
(Why not? We have a Super Mario, Sonic, Kirby, SSB, Star Fox, ect. discussion, so I’m making one for us Metroid fans. Let’s roll!)

My first, and favorite Metroid game was “Super Metroid.” The previous 2 were good too, but the third really defined the series, and is where it really hit it’s stride.

I actually have a small plastic “World of Nintendo” Metroid figure sitting on my shelf.  
I hope the squishy Metroid Amiibo gets rereleased, seeing how recently the SSB Samus Amiibo figure was recently rereleased.
Jarkes
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
So it turns out that I do indeed need to get 100% scans and 100% items in Metroid Prime 1 to get the secret ending. And since I forgot to scan Flaaghra’s tentacles ages ago on the file I have, I’m screwed. I haven’t played it in a while, but I remember that I’m pretty close to the end and I really, REALLY don’t want to have to start all over or do a New Game+ just for ONE scan.

(I have a physical copy of the Metroid Prime Trilogy Wii compliation btw)
Jarkes
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
@igotnopicks

Oh yeah, the Deleter, aka the subplot that got dropped midway through the game, with only vague, easy to miss hints indicating who it actually was.
Plain Pony
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Not a Plane pony
I consider myself a fan of the series. Fusion to Prime 3 (excluding Hunters) is the band of games I like. Super and Samus Returns are okay, but I didn’t really feel the love. Hunters has good multiplayer.

I’m cautiously optimistic about Prime 4. I haven’t liked Nintendo’s design direction for some time now, but despite all of Samus Return’s attempts to shake up a formula that didn’t need it, it was a decent game, so I expect Prime 4 to be that, at least.

I’m sad about how few Metroid-inspired games are out there. Most Metroidvania games (and I do mean most) are more Castlevania than Metroid. Another Metroid 2 Remake however is an amazing fangame ironically brought down by adhering too much to the original’s design. The Metroid fights and long stretches of linearity are its worst features, but has an awesome world structure of several semi-open areas with a set of upgrades tailored to that area, giving a feel of several small Metroidvania worlds you go through one by one. Can’t recommend enough.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Plain Pony  
I liked “Super” better then “Fusion,” ’ cause it felt longer, and had more freedom. Fusion was good, but felt too short, and I kinda prefer the floatier jumps of the old games compared to the higher gravity, and fast falls in newer ones.

I’m sure Prime 4 will be good, so even if you’re soured with Nintendo, (don’t understand why, as I felt “Mario Odyssey,” and “Breath of the Wild” proved impressive personally) Retro Studios is still the main developer working on it. The fact, they’re starting over on it at least shows they care about the project, and want it to be great.

@Jarkes  
Hehe
Plain Pony

Not a Plane pony
@Beau Skunky  
I prefer Fusion and Zero Mission’s controls, which are a big factor in my preference. Super’s world is kickass, but moving around it grates on me. Fusion’s linearity is a negative, but I love the emphasis on boss fights, which gives it a unique place in the 2D games. I think that Fusion is about the best way one could do a linear Metroid game. I just wish that Other M wasn’t such a blatant ripoff of Fusion, but lacking any of the things that made Fusion good.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
A friend of mine on Twitter actually just beat Super Metroid for the first time yesterday. And he actually ended up downloading Samus Returns from the EShop because I had been talking about my current playthrough on Twitter a lot.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Jarkes  
I played a li’l of “Samus Returns,” as my nephew has it, and I’d love to get my own copy soon if I can afford it.

@Plain Pony  
“Zero Mission” was awesome, and I prefer it over “Fusion,” but as I said I prefer the more retro floatier gravity jumps to the modern fast ones. You fall so fast nowadays, it kinda makes wall jumping, and platforming a teeny bit more of a chore.  
That’s the only thing keeping “Zero” from being my favorite Metroid, but I still love it, and “Fusion,” don’t get me wrong.

As for “Other M,” I haven’t played it yet, so I can’t have an opinion of it.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
My biggest problem with Fusion is how you take a higher amount of damage than most other games in the series, though to be fair it at least makes sense since the Fusion Suit explicitly has weaker energy shielding than the regular Power Suit.

Probably why it has more Energy Tanks than any other game in the series.
Plain Pony

Not a Plane pony
@Jarkes  
Fusion is quite notable for how deadly its enemies are. Samus Returns has it beat in that regard, though. It was particularly obvious as I had played AM2R previously, where enemies deal very little damage but are quite hard to avoid, where in Samus Returns it’s the opposite.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
I like how the Surface of SR388 in Samus Returns has a pale green sky as a nod to how the original Game Boy’s LCD screen gave the black-and-white graphics a slight green tint (due to LCD screens of that era being green). That was a nice touch.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Jarkes  
Huh, I never realized that. It does kinda fit.

Though, the later Gameboy Pocket system had a more proper B&W screen. There’s also a rumor that a GameBoy Color remake of “Metroid 2” was planned, but never made.  
(Japan, did get a GBC color version of “Donkey Kong Land 3,” and “Balloon Kid,” while we didn’t. However, we a got colorized “Game & Watch Gallery 2,” while they just had a B&W version.)

@Jarkes  
The “Melee-counter” seems like an unnecessary gimmick, but it is kinda fun, I’ll admit.

@Jarkes  
The “Fusion” game does kinda compensate a li’l with healing items being more common, and from nearly every enemy, at least.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
I find it interesting that of the four major bosses apart from Mother Brain in Super Metroid (Kraid, Phantoon, Draygon, and Ridley), Draygon’s the only one that never appeared in any other game. Kraid appeared in the original Metroid and Zero Mission, Ridley appears in most games of the series (except for the original Metroid II, Prime Pinball, Prime 2, and I think Federation Force), and Phantoon appeared in Other M.

Additionally, none of the mini-bosses from Super (Torizo/Gold Torizo, Spore Spawn, Crocomire, and Bowtoon) ever appeared in any later games. Though the Kiru Giru/Imago and Nettori boss fights reference Spore Spawn (Nettori is also a possible reference to Torizo) and Crocomire actually had a sprite found in Zero Mission’s data (though it was black rather than red), but it was cut pretty early on and didn’t have any actual attacks programmed yet.
Jarkes

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
Seriously though, Chozo Ghosts in Prime 1 are a pain in the ass to fight before you get the X-Ray Visor. So naturally you run into them a LOT before you finally get that visor.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Jarkes  
It seems Super Metroid’s been the most influencual game in the series, as it’s basically where the series hit it’s stride. I am now curious how Draygon would look in 3D. For that matter Kraid needs a 3D appearance. (Besides in SSB.)

@Jarkes  
It is a good theme.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide