Metal Music General - All Sub-Genres Welcome

Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
full

I’ve noticed a distinct lack of Metal in Generals, lets fix that. A place to talk shop, discuss concerts, compare favorite bands, knock the competition, whatever comes to mind.

I’ll start, lets discuss the technicolor spectrum of sub-genres that permeates Metal. I’ve always gravitated toward stuff like Power Metal and Pagan/Folk Metal. As a fantasy lover and writer I enjoy the more mystical themes. Also, having one of your sub-genre’s progenitors be Ronnie James ‘Mutha Fuckin’ Dio gives it an extra bit of badassness.

Bands I like include Blind Guardian, Winter Storm, Elvenking, Falconer, Hammerfall, Nightwish (though they’re more associated with Symphonic), the ever glorious Sabaton, etc. Got to see both Nightwish and Sabaton in concert btw, killer show.

For Folk and Pagan, got awesome shit like Tyr, Eluveitie, and Metsatöll (all 3 of which I’ve seen in concert).
QuasarNova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Thread Starter - Equestria Girls RPG

You can say they are overrated, but the beat way to introduce someone to metal is always Metallica and the first Black Sabbath formation.

More so the former than the latter since it gives you a clear idea of common grounds present on other bands.

First band I branches out was within temptation and Mudvayne
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@QuasarNova

I love older Metallica, but after a certain point I stopped following them.

Sabbath is a great starting point, both the original band and even on up through the Dio years. Though, Dio was always better on his own than he was in Sabbath.
QuasarNova
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Thread Starter - Equestria Girls RPG

@Zincy

We all can agree it was between St. Anger and Fuel where they lost some of their charm

And bullcrap to those that still sustain Osborne made Sabbath what they are.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@QuasarNova

Ozzy was a big part of it to be sure, but yea the actual sound they had gets diminished when people only credit him. The early guitar work was as much apart of their sound as Ozzy’s vocals.
Lord Hypno
Non-Fungible Trixie -
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Some of my favorites are Gamma Ray, Iron Maiden, Iced Earth, Dragonland, Elvenking, Helloween, Brainstorm, Blind Guardian, Orden Ogan, In Flames, Fates Warning, Grave Digger, Firewind, Kamelot, Stratovarius, Running Wild and Crimson Glory.

I got to see Blind Guardian and Grave Digger live a few months back, great show!
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Hypnosryan

Stellar line up man. I’ve been listening to a lot of Stratovarius lately. When my lady friend comes over for a drink and some music my Google Play app drifts closer to power metal with each shot of whiskey, and they’ve been on it almost every time.

I’d love to see Blind Guardian, but they never come out my way on tours. There were on 900 Tons of Metal, that metal cruise they do every year, but I was at a conference and couldn’t get tickets.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Hypnosryan

The single room tickets do, and the small suites. The shitty ass like 5-6 people rooms stay for awhile. I would have been able to book one.

@QuasarNova

Ah…prog rock…

Had a friend that was deep into that. Dude did way, way too much acid. Don’t know what happened to him since he dropped out of college.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
I’m somewhat ashamed to admit it, but honestly one of my fav concerts I’ve hit up was 7Dust, Shinedown, and Breaking Benjamin.

It may have had sometime to do with Shinedown’s copious use of pyrotechnics. Seriously, most fire I’ve ever seen in one show, second would be Nightwish.

Or it could be that I went with a female friend of mine and we fucked like rabbits afterwards. That may have colored my memory of that night.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@QuasarNova

They’re pretty good live.

Also, it was 3 days before Force Awakens came out and they dimmed the stage, walked out with the Imperial March playing, and all drew light-up red Lightsabers.

Nerdiest shit I’ve seen at a concert since Sabaton sang YMCA.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Solitude

They have the best stage banter. Hell, the best stage presence in general.

When I saw them in concert they did the most amazing thing. There was the one fan who’s grandfather was a vet, and a Sabaton fan. The guy was too sick to come to the concert, so his grand-daughter went in his stead with one of his old military pictures. The guys on stage passed it around, signed it for him, and then proceeded to dedicate the next 3 songs to military veterans.

I damn near started crying.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide