Mario Discussion

Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
I can kinda understand “3D All-Stars” being a limited run, but I don’t get why SMB 35 has to be so short.

Also, I think the reason they excluded SMG2 might be because motion-controls might’ve been required for some things like Yoshi, (if you don’t point at the screen, Yoshi won’t slurp at all) so they couldn’t give it optional button-only controls like SMG1 without reworking Yoshi, or the redoing whole game code/engine, or something.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Mikey  
Yeah, though how does that work now in button-only mode?

The problem with Yoshi is, unlike “Sunshine” where he has an automatic “window” of where to slurp directly in front of him, SMG2 doesn’t have that. Unless you point at something on-screen with the Wii-remote, Yoshi’s tongue won’t even come out.  
They’d have to redo the way Yoshi works to make him automatically slurp things in front (like in “Sunshine”) without a remote pointer in order to work in buttons-only mode.  
I guess Nintendo either didn’t have time, or didn’t wanna bother doing that.
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ayriana
@Beau Skunky  
Again, it’d just be the same as the star pointer. In Galaxy 2 on handheld/lite, point at the object with his tongue and tap. Did we play the same game? I remember just using the Wii remote for Yoshi in the exact same way as the star pointer. You press the B button to slurp, and for the star pointer to toss starbits. And then in Galaxy 1, you shoot them by tapping the screen. It’s really easy.
rdibp
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Kerfuffle lover
@Beau Skunky  
@Mikey  
Yeah, Yoshi’s tongue would work almost the same with the pointer. Don’t really see any problems.

Most I imagine they would do is add a button press to have Yoshi gobble the closest thing or something like that.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Red-Supernova  
I meant how it’ll be discontinued once the anniversary is over in March.

@Mikey  
@rdibp  
Most I imagine they would do is add a button press to have Yoshi gobble the closest thing or something like that.

Yeah, but my point is, they’d have to do alot of reprogramming to do that in “button only” handheld mode. Even something as simple as that requires work, as Yoshi is programmed differently then he is in “Sunshine.”  
If they left it requiring Joycon motion control, or touchscreen-only, then those that wanna play it without motions, or the touchscreen would get mad.

So they either didn’t have enough time to rework Yoshi to work with buttons only, or just wanted to focus on the first 3 main 3D games.
Mikey
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Ayriana
@Beau Skunky  
You do know how to use Yoshi in Galaxy 2, yes? His tongue uses the same button to shoot star bits. How do you shoot star bits in Handheld/Lite? Touch screen.
Red-Supernova
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@Beau Skunky  
Ugh, YES. Unless they are planning to re-release Super Mario Bros 35 in a bigger game or some sort and that the limited run version is just a demo, then you are correct. It is bullshit at its finest.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Mikey  
Yes, I do. You can’t use the touchscreen in TV dock mode, and using it, and the buttons at the same time would be difficult even in handheld, sense sometimes Yoshi has to be on the move while aiming the yoshi tongue cursor at enemies, and such.

And as I recall in SMG2, if you don’t use the pointer at the screen, Yoshi won’t even slurp automatically, so they’d have to change that for those using a Classic controller, or handheld mode.

@Red-Supernova  
Maybe they are planning that, or will bring it back later.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Mikey  
I really don’t know how to explain it. But next time you play SMG2, play it while pretending there’s no remote pointer, no motion control, when you ride Yoshi, and click the remote B-trigger without pointing at anything on the screen, or point it away from the screen to see what I’m talking about. So basically, Yoshi is unplayable without motion/double Joycon mode, unless they rework Yoshi to be able to slurp with a button press so that way the game is playable with a Classic/Pro controller, or in portable mode like SMG1.

The reason Mario’s spin works fine with a Y-button press, is because honestly it doesn’t require the pointer/cursor to work like Yoshi’s tongue, so all they had to do was just map it to a button.
Red-Supernova
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!

Passionate opinionator
@igotnopicks  
Figured. Looks like I’m out of practice then. This is why I try to be careful before jumping over pits.

Also, I’m told that the controls for each the styles in the Mario Maker games are really just off the NSMB controls and not their native controls.
Mikey
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Ayriana
@Beau Skunky  
Dude, do you not get what I’m saying? Yoshi used the exact same functionality as the star pointer. His tongue used B, the pointer also used B to shoot star bits. On the Switch Lite, you use the touch screen for that. Yoshi would also use the touch screen to slurp.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Mikey  
Aaaand as I said how do you use the touchscreen in TV dock mode? Also, you make it sound easy to use the touchscreen, and buttons at the same time on Switch, which would make Yoshi’s platforming difficult where he has to both jump, and slurp, especially the swing holds he has to slurp, and swing on, and such.  
So even with the touchscreen as an option, it wouldn’t work well, they’d still need to reprogram Yoshi’s tongue to work with a button press. (And even something as simple as that requires work, and bug testing to make sure it doesn’t mess up the rest of the game.)

@igotnopicks  
I’d say compared to other early/mid ‘80s games, they’re smooth, and SMB was one of the first platformers where you had better control over how fast you run, and how high you jump. Something we kinda take for granted nowadays.  
I think that’s why SMB still holds up well today, despite some things not aging well. (Like the smaller amount of 1ups. Ironically, “Lost Levels” has alot more hidden 1ups, and coins.)
Mikey
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Ayriana
@Beau Skunky  
No they wouldn’t, the star pointer works just fine and you need it for certain stars in Galaxy 1, like with pull stars. It’s the exact same thing as Yoshi. Have you even played the collection yet?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide