The great GamerGate discussion. (Stuff and things)

Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

@Mikey  
Yeah, but how could one explore a space station? Unknown planets are one thing. That’s why I say it’s an action game. I even said there was no exploration in it earlier.

That is the one problem Metroid has. The game needs to start the play with minimal stuff and then along the way obtain enhancements to make the play feel like they’ve grown through playing. So Every Metroid game needs to start Samus off with limit suit powers. Ironically, one of it’s best known characteristics becomes a bit of a crutch because How many times can a planet have random Chozo artifacts that lets Samus jump higher or turn into a ball?
Plain Pony
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Not a Plane pony
@Cyborg_pony  
Agreed, but this is one of the main problems modern game design faces: the prioritization of making games that make sense in the context of a constructed world, over making games with good gameplay. Adam authorizing the use of upgrades is completely stupid narratively, particularly in the oft-cited Varia Suit example. However, gameplay-wise it’s pretty similar to having upgrades being held by Chozo statues, though it can alter things slightly, like having an upgrade activate during a boss fight, which is atypical of the series.

In Other M’s case, the terrible story is more egregious due to the game having a big focus on telling a story, compared to the rest of the series, if we ignore the games that had a focus on telling a story. But as long as we can get the Metroid-style gameplay, I’m happy to overlook it. I don’t think that the plot is directly responsible for the overly linear world design, especially since Metroid Fusion is similarly linear with a similar plot (Other M has a lot in common with Fusion), but does a lot better with masking the linearity, and is even a part of the plot itself!

But, in my opinion, the decision to use only the Wii-Mote for controls is the main factor for Other M’s shittiness. They could have made a control scheme that works with a Wii-Mote, but they did not do that. Limitations are fine, but you can’t pretend they don’t exist. They clearly wanted Samus to control in a certain way, but it does not fit the controller.
Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

@Plain Pony  
I do believe a lot of the hassle comes from Nintendo not holding off until the WiiU, which had a better control scheme. Imagine using the touch pad to control Samus’ suit functions to utilize a power balance. Use it to super charge her arm canon with every beam option, but limit the suit’s movement such as space jump and the Veria. The game could then work to have players balance between like saying Samus can’t have more then ‘X’ amount of functions until later, maybe obtained a “Suit power node” or something to increase. Like Super Metroid, gives you the ability to turn off power-ups for no reason whatsoever, maybe that was a holdover from an idea like that. Even with a lot of the restrictions set by Nintendo, they still didn’t do too bad a job, it’s just they didn’t need to have that cripple the game. Like a button to switch to missiles instead of the first-person gimmick, which I will always say is because Prime was so popular and Nintendo said reference it in some way.

I also feel the problems with the story comes from Nintendo use of the “silent protagonist”. Many games has the player character very much mute through gameplay, and doesn’t work with Samus given she is speaking in cutscenes, but when getting power-up, it’s just Adam saying “Okay, you can use that now.” meaning the player hit a milestone in the game. A lot of dialog problems could have been avoided like Adam just telling Samus to activate such n’ such, with Samus speaking in a very military way like “The enemy has trapped me in an enclosure. Permission to activate plasma Beam!” “Permission Granted. Get them!” That’s why I feel the games story seemed rushed. A lot of scenes didn’t make sense, and really needed more time. Like Adam shooting Samus in the back, they could been that assassin subplot that seemed dropped halfway through. They could of had Adam lose his life to him hinting that higher-ups in the G.F. wanted to keep what happened in that station a secret fighting Samus before he either dies in some way or takes his life to avoid interrogation.

The game came out just before Nintendo started promoting the WiiU and just as the point they abandoned the Wii to the shovelware console. The biggest problem people forget is Japan isn’t like the west. It won’t spend money on something that won’t sell (then proceed to call the ones they attacked with “this isn’t for you!” was the reason it did so bad, but I digress) They’ll move on, which is why I was so pissed off a lot of them who demanded and new official Metroid whined and made excuses not to get it. Nintendo ain’t Marvel.
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Pone of Astronomy
@Cyborg_pony  
Easily. Fusion still had plenty of exploration. Fusion is basically what Other M did but better. And it doesn’t really matter how many times they do it, it’s a series defining staple to grow and get new upgrades through exploration.
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Pone of Astronomy
In other news, I’m pissed Johnny Depp lost his cases against the Sun and Amber Heard. He’s gonna keep fighting and I wish him the best.
NitroFury
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Horseplay
Artist -

Nitro Cat Bad!
So according to these wackos on Twitter, apparently Space Buns Hairstyle on white characters is considered “Cultural Appropriation”. You know, I wish these people are trolling just to get attention, but you end up realizing that most of them are not trolling.
Cyborg_pony

@NitroFury  
They live such privileged lives they need to find oppression anywhere they can. Ironically, most of it were white women attacking the player because they can’t wear the space buns being part of their religion.

@Mikey  
Still. Fusion has the plot device of having piece of her suit ripped off her, you there’s a reason she had the limited equipment and needed to find large X to replenish suit abilities.
Plain Pony

Not a Plane pony
@Cyborg_pony  
Taking a traditionally silent protagonist and writing a story around them that doesn’t work with a silent protagonist was a huge mistake. Metroid Fusion handled this much better. A Wii U Metroid would have been an interesting idea. After Other M Nintendo really didn’t care for Metroid all that much, which is a shame. Metroid Prime 4 is coming Soon TM , and Samus Returns was a thing, but there’s been a lot of dead time for the series.

@Cyborg_pony  
The biggest problem people forget is Japan isn’t like the west. It won’t spend money on something that won’t sell

Sadly true. Metroid style Metroidvanias haven’t been sighted much in the indie scene either, especially compared to the sea of Castlevania style ones. The future doesn’t look too bright. At least we got AM2R.
Cyborg_pony

but there’s been a lot of dead time for the series.

Yeah, that seems to be the curse of the series. There was an 8 year gap between Super Metroid and Fusion/Prime.

I will never agree with X-play and others that said “Samus was weak. and Ironically, the same people loved Fusion for doing what Other M did with Samus; Just shutting up and taking orders. Most time you hears her “voice” until the end it was a monologue.

If only they held off, Gave more time, put it on Wii U and use the control and better output of that system.

I think the best thing for the series is Samus is under some kind of “house arrest” and is sent to purge the Metroid DNA from her system, leaving her in a state where she can’t use her Powersuit till later, during some problem in a GF research outpost and Adam being now just the ships A.I.(Actual Intelligence) guides her through by linking the main computers of areas to Samus’ ship allowing Adam to scan the area.

This gives reason to why she’s not fully geared, and while Adam’s scanning the area, allows players exploration. I’d still like to see it in the 3D style of Other M, since I really liked that.  
BUT being I know the internet too well, they’d whine that “samus is weak” because she doesn’t have her suit during a part of the game. . . fucking duh. They just don’t want to work for it anymore. Once/if Prime 4 comes out, they’ll probably complain about that.
Plain Pony

Not a Plane pony
@Mikey  
I meant Metroid style Metroidvanias, ones where your primary attacks are shooting. I should probably call them shooter Metroidvanias instead…
doloresbridge
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Peace to all
@Penguin Dragneel  
You can archive them yourself fairly easily Though it sometimes can be slow. Wayback Machine works too but it’s been off for me and a few others recently.

@Cyborg_pony  
I’ve honestly been split with that being a effective tactic though I understand the logic. I have annoyances with the insistence that it be taken to every site on that “side” like I see sometimes and it can be inconvenient if I’m trying to link 10 articles from random places. Not speaking of experience here though.
Background Pony #27C8
Found me a good recent one.
It hurts seeing how hypocritical they can be.
So having read the article, I think your link description and conclusions are both misleading here. I mean, the author himself acknowledges that his dislike of the character’s unrealistic literacy is kind of a ridiculous historical nitpick for a series that also features “magic apples and the lost city of Atlantis”. But he also points out that the minor issue serves to highlight a bigger problem of the series, which is that they’ve adopted a “content over substance” approach to the games. His larger point is that making that one relatively minor issue a bit more true to life (particularly for a series that spends a lot of time creating realistic historical settings) might have allowed for some interesting new gameplay options, whereas not doing that just makes it all the more clear that it’s just the same game as last time, except with different visuals.
Penguin Dragneel
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
@Background Pony #27C8  
Except for the fact that he states that making it more “inclusive” is something that should be done, despite the fact that it goes against history as much as the reading thing, and it does NOTHING to help the gameplay.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide