The great GamerGate discussion. (Stuff and things)

The Frowning Pony

Administrator
13 blinks per minute
@Patachu  
Again, you seem obsessed with praise. People do say and do things without expecting anything in return, and I’m confused as to why you’re so focused on this make-believe concept that I’m only shining a small light on a pile of shit to get backpats.

Maybe praise and reward is the only thing that gets you to do “what’s right”, but that doesn’t apply to everyone else.
Patachu
Patachu - For Patreon supporters
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Best Art Program Ever - For artists who were courageous enough to draw something for the April Fools day.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag

@The Frowning Pony  
So, what is your goal? Here, pointing at the comments of a video like «Behold, the emerrgeeence of Haaate!»

It always existed, still exist, and does not means these people will be out to actually become a threat. I could be wrong, sadly, but seriously do a reality check, they exist to trigger people like you. Pay attention and you give them what they want.
The Frowning Pony

Administrator
13 blinks per minute
@Patachu  
For the nth time, I’m merely trying to make more people aware that these sort of nazis and racists very much exist and that they feel comfortable behaving like this in public. This thread often deals with culture and politics / “identity politics”, more specifically that they should never mix with games/comics/movies/etc., and often the reasoning is “these things aren’t really an issue”, “nazis aren’t real anymore”, “it’s just shitposting without consequence”, etc.

I believe it’s important that when people discuss some of the topics that come up in this thread that they have some context beyond some gaming subreddit or wherever they get their info from, be exposed to more information they may not be aware of.

I’d ask what your point in arguing against that is, why you’re so insistent on claiming I’m only doing this to feel good about myself or get praise, why you seem so hostile to this being discussed at all, but I honestly don’t care.
Patachu
Best Art Program Ever - For artists who were courageous enough to draw something for the April Fools day.
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab

@The Frowning Pony  
Well excuse me,  
Guess this one’s for you, Cyborg and Patachu; assuming you’ve not already got a few comments in there decrying “yet another movie saying nazis are bad”, ofc.

You’re the one who insisted like that.

For the nth time, I’m merely trying to make more people aware that these sort of nazis and racists very much exist and that they feel comfortable behaving like this in public.

okay; not my business, so does jihadists, and lot of other hate groups. What kind we do? Abolish free speech to feel more safe and imagine they won’t proceed to IRL actions?

This thread often deals with culture and politics / “identity politics”, more specifically that they should never mix with games/comics/movies/etc.,

Uh, you brought this topic in here to begin with.

and often the reasoning is “these things aren’t really an issue”, “nazis aren’t real anymore”, “it’s just shitposting without consequence”, etc.

15 years old edgelords who are brainwashed about israel and jews controlling the world all that shit? Yeah I’m terrified, what could they do? Send bignose memes at me?

I believe it’s important that when people discuss some of the topics that come up in this thread that they have some context beyond some gaming subreddit or wherever they get their info from, be exposed to more information they may not be aware of.

This is why you need to take every info with a critical approach; not as fact or a proof of anything.

I’d ask what your point in arguing against that is, why you’re so insistent on claiming I’m only doing this to feel good about myself or get praise, why you seem so hostile to this being discussed at all, but I honestly don’t care.

Why even using the approach like «Look at this video with antisemitism in the comments, be outraged!» Yes of course it’s sad, it’s pathetic, we all know this. The movie is about French resistance and not necessarily about the jewish persecution as the center. Yes it might be a good movie, and I hope it will be, politically people see us, and french people in general have a feeling of being losers, and quitters during WW2 and letting these horrors happen. Yes there will be morons saying «lolohoax» «israel killed more palestinians» «hitler did nuffin vrong» «lol surrender monkeys had it» but should we even give a fuck even?

If you want my point of view, I’m a right winger. I’m proud of who I am. I love and wish to defend my country even if its leaders are shitheads, especially against them, or whatever others will accuse us of without having studied a single page of our history. I believe in my people and our grandparents did the right thing in the 40s ignoring the orders to give up and keep fighting anyways. I consider the past like the actual nazis as our enemies. Our current enemies.  
I don’t believe because there is the corporate EU and mandatory competition, and no more borders we should be friends, there will never be friendship, not in the 1870s, not in the 1910s, not in the 1940s, not today nor tomorrow.  
I just want you to understand that a bunch of trolls on the comment section being a threat is insane, it’s ridiculous, it’s dadaesque, compared to what is actually looming as threat.

i forbid you to even compare me or anyone ITT again to these fuckers.
The Frowning Pony

Administrator
13 blinks per minute
@Patachu  
Yes, I brought up the topic here, because it was topical to the thread itself, and particularly to the recent “saying nazis are bad is virtue signalling” absurdity.

Edgelords shiposting online uncontested and unmoderated normalizes their ideas, and a fair number of those edgelords aren’t teens at all, and many of the ones that are will grow without changing much at all. Schools in the US see kids bullying and segregating others specifically using the same idiotic memes and phrases edgelords use online, and there are even faculty getting in on the action as well; and why shouldn’t they, when they see it happen online by thousands with no critical response? Maybe it won’t affect you, but it is affecting others.

I’m not saying these people should be arrested or whatever for it, but we can’t pretend it doesn’t happen or doesn’t have any effect on reality.
MethidMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -

@Patachu

Yes, there are tons of people on the internet like 4chan and Youtube who post hateful drivel. And you know what else? While I’m certainly not happy they exist, I can at least be glad I’m aware of their existence. You know why? Because if I know that hate has become very common and all around me, I can prepare myself for it.

I can’t change what other people do, I can’t get them arrested, but what I can do is try to take measures to protect myself from these assholes. I’ll at least know to avoid certain situations or certain people or certain places not to hang around.

You call it “virtue signalling”, I call it alerting others to danger.
Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

@MethidMan  
When you say “Hateful” Keep in mind many have used that would to delude the criticism against them such as calling attention to their actual hateful attitude they have, as well as hiding their actions.

Good example: Eric Esquivel; who called the criticism around his badly done comic as “Hate” and well, you can search for yourself what kind of person he was. Keep this in mind: the comic industry as a whole knew about it and just said “We thought he stopped”

And let’s not forget Dr. Pizza: someone against the “Hatefulness” of those not on his side, usually calling them pedophiles. Funny enough, hangs around ResetEra and was caught soliciting nudes from those who could say would make him a… But he hates anime, so he couldn’t be.
Patachu

@Cyborg_pony  
indeed, hate is everywhere. We all hate something anyways, why hiding it? It’s like that. Anything and everything can be subject of hate, it’s just a human feeling.

There’s still many degrees of hate. Saying «I don’t like this thing, I’m not gonna play/watch this thing» now easily gets people classified as haters, or some criticism, indeed, seen as “hatespeech”.
Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

@Patachu  
What I find depressing that a lot of them keep the company they do over who they hate, and sadder more is some of them consider those in the group friends. They’re friendships are held tightly with spit, and the smallest dissenting thought from the group’s zeitgeist, is lead with immediate explosion and being just another they can hate.

A good example is Colin Moriarty, who like many in the game journosphare pissed on gamers and even coined the term “Gamer Entitlement” over ME3’s massive disaster. One joke later and kicked to the curb and all his “friends” including Greg threw him under the bus.

I’d bet a there’s quite a few that are in those places see what’s going on and are in more agreement with the “villains” but they’d never admit. Even something so small, they’d be harassed and tossed to the wayside. That is if they’ll usefulness last that long and aren’t just accused for monetary gain and likes on Twitter.
Plain Pony
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Not a Plane pony
@Patachu
Yes, I brought up the topic here, because it was topical to the thread itself, and particularly to the recent “saying nazis are bad is virtue signalling” absurdity.

It’s only topical if you believe that the reason why people are openly being nazis is because there isn’t enough people saying that nazis are bad. I disagree. I think there’s 3 reasons why nazis are being more open:

1: Being openly nazi is generally a bad idea, so they need to hide themselves. But, when a place that allows them to be themselves appears, they take that opportunity and often overdo it. Many oppressed groups have the same behaviour. By trying to silence them in those places, they will move onto the next place they can get away with it, and slowly concentrate the amount of nazis to fewer and fewer locations. Which is how we get YouTube, which aren’t diligent enough to take out the sheer volume of nazis.

2: People who aren’t nazis, but agree with some of their ideology. You might think that agreeing with any nazi opinions makes you a nazi, but these people don’t see it that way. They see themselves as centrists or moderates who will agree or disagree with things regardless of whose ideas they are. Calling these people nazis strengthens their beliefs, since they see themselves as rational people, above political labels, and will see you as lesser intellectuals.

3: Trolls. They want a reaction, and spewing hateful words gets them what they want. Saying nazis are bad increases their power, as you are validating their tactics.

@The Frowning Pony  
Edgelords shiposting online uncontested and unmoderated normalizes their ideas, and a fair number of those edgelords aren’t teens at all, and many of the ones that are will grow without changing much at all. Schools in the US see kids bullying and segregating others specifically using the same idiotic memes and phrases edgelords use online, and there are even faculty getting in on the action as well; and why shouldn’t they, when they see it happen online by thousands with no critical response? Maybe it won’t affect you, but it is affecting others.

Isn’t saying nazis are bad all the time normalisation as well? Also, who’s to say people being openly nazis normalises nazi beliefs, instead of, say, normalising that nazis exist and are bad people? Also, people using nazi talk for bullying purposes isn’t the nazi talk’s fault. If people want to bully, then they will use whatever means they think is most effective, which is a problem with the bullies themselves. If open nazis is causing teens to become nazis, that’s the fault of parents not properly raising their children.

Also, I don’t believe that TSP is an ‘enemy’. I think he’s trying to keep us honest. Not everyone who disagrees with us is trying to destroy us.
dissociativity
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Wallet After Summer Sale -

It’s awfully funny when I bring up The Quartpounder as a good example of cringy people like him, because there are many of them, and I get branded obsessed, there are plenty of other people with amazingly cringe rantsonas, but he’s like, better at being sargon than sargon in getting made up outrage videos out there, much like Tim Pool and such.

It’s not about any individual, it’s about their practices, and that these practices are consistently done by people with eerily similar views.

It’s almost like the grift works and makes good $$$ from suckers like many in this thread, it’s an interesting social phenomenon.

Bullshit artistry of this tier began with gamergate on this scale and profitability and is still being milked hard.  
Like look at poop girl/libertyhangout still making bank after being utterly humiliated, Crowder is at least Koch Bro funded lol.
Patachu

@Plain Pony  
Imagine repeating to a non-nazi he’s a nazi. At some point he will end up agreeing that “yeah, perhaps I should accept being one. Let’s see them nazis”  
Nazis : welcoming the non-nazi open arms.

Accusing every non-nazi of being a nazi is how you spread their ideology. Well played, SJWs!
Patachu

@The Frowning Pony  
Aha? Explain.  
Sure there are people who calls everything “SJW”. Stop using everything as your strawman, I know you don’t like me, but don’t be silly, you perfectly understand what I mean.  
When you call someone being privilegied. when you accuse a white male of being white and toxic, of all kind of horrors he did not commit, what do you think it’s gonna happen?

«Let’s set the definition of what a nazi is and make sure it covers everything that’s not thinking like us! WOW ! That’s a lot of nazis! We must fight! We must tell everyone to worry!»  
Now I hope you understand your bias.
The Frowning Pony

Administrator
13 blinks per minute
Sure there are people who calls everything “nazi”. Stop using everything as your strawman, I know you don’t like me, but don’t be silly, you perfectly understand what I mean.
When you call someone being NPC. When you accuse someone concerned about racism a virtue signalling white savior, of using nazi-like tactics to eliminate free speech, what do you think it’s gonna happen?
«Let’s set the definition of what a SJW is and make sure it covers everything that’s not thinking like us! WOW ! That’s a lot of SJWs! We must fight! We must tell everyone to worry!»
Now I hope you understand your bias.
Background Pony #E770
@dissociativity  
interesting, so you’re saying that cringy grifting is the sole domain of people you disagree with and find “problematic”.  
I wonder what you’d call someone grifting you. But of course, you’re much too clever for that.
The Frowning Pony

Administrator
13 blinks per minute
This is from 20th June 2019 but it’s the first time I’ve heard of it. I’m surprised there wasn’t much news regarding this. Which from what I guess why, is this;

I read the report. The tl;dr

• Sexualized female characters in a game increase the incidence of sexual insults against opponents against females  
  • Women were more likely to use sexual insults, presumably as an in-group defence (ie. the most offensive jokes about the french are said by the french)  
  • Thanks to being made aware of sexual harassment through online movements, more men are actually realizing some shit shouldn’t be said

To the best of our knowledge, this study is the first to examine
sexual harassment toward men following exposure to sexualized
female characters in video games. Sexualization of female characters
does not seem to influence online sexual harassment toward men.
Further, as shown by our main effect on partner gender, more sexist
jokes were sent to men than to women. This unexpected result might
be explained by the fact that men, as the dominant group, are not
usually targets of sexual harassment and thus may be more tolerant of
sexual harassment (Pina & Gannon, 2006). Therefore, sexist jokes sent
to men might be less likely to be identified as sexual harassment
compared to sexist jokes sent to women.
Another unexpected result in this study was that female
participants sent significantly more sexist jokes than male participants.
This might be due to the fact that sexual harassment is perceived as
usually committed by men, and toward women (Stop Street
Harassment, 2018). Therefore, among our participants, women are
likely to have experienced sexual harassment. Therefore, when sent to
the in-group (i.e., another woman), it might be perceived as a simple
joke, but when sent to a man, it might be perceived as a form of
retaliation.
Sexual harassment has been an important topic of
discussion lately, notably with the #MeToo movement. This may
have increased awareness among men, which may have caused them
to send fewer sexist jokes. Indeed, prevention campaigns about sexual
harassment have been shown to reduce such behavior
(Diehl, Glaser, &
Bohner, 2014).

Our results show that playing a video
game with sexualized female characters increases online sexual
harassment toward women.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide