The great GamerGate discussion. (Stuff and things)

Patachu
Patachu - For Patreon supporters
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Best Art Program Ever - For artists who were courageous enough to draw something for the April Fools day.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag

@WyrmSpawN  
On a fictional context tough it tends to differ,  
full  
( Yep that looks more like an Americanized cover for Mamoru Oshii’s Jin-Roh. )

But so far i don’t know a single game in which you are that bad guy. But imagine a game where you incarnate that. Without the context of WW2 but a dystopic world where you play a soldier that must obey orders no matter what. Your player must obey every orders as dark the scenario becomes, and the missions are at some point no longer counterterrorism or protection. A game where you are literally an absolute nazi, given orders to execute civilians, not the gangsta shit a la GTA or postal, but something more creepy.  
Politics should not be in games? Politics have been in games since Chess was invented. Now there’s just more realism.

Call me a sick fuck, yes indeed but I would love to see how players would react as they dwell in either following their bots/partners to accomplish a mission, or instead decide to skip some part, without being Undertale either.
Plain Pony
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Not a Plane pony
@Patachu  
Call of Duty’s not a perfect example… Depending on the game, there’s definitely some ambiguity about the morality of your actions, though how much of it is intentional is debatable.

It’s hard to give a recommendation for what you’re asking for, as it’s kind of a spoiler to mention such twists, but 3 games that do that kind of thing I can think of off the top of my head are Spec Ops: the Line, Bioshock, and Undertale’s Genocide route (where you kill every enemy until the random encounters stop appearing).
Patachu
Patachu - For Patreon supporters
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Best Art Program Ever - For artists who were courageous enough to draw something for the April Fools day.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag

@Plain Pony  
Bioshock series, which are very political as well. (to the absurd point but people say it’s good for making fun of loljectivism ) But more, a game in which you’re the judge, no different “endings” or scenarized like in CoD. (I guess, I used to be rather into Battlefield series)

I’m more imagining a game whether you decide really what you do, you have freedom, can reach higher grades or levels in the Party and all, or follow your idea, even build things or just modify the world like a sandbox and draw cocks on the walls all you want with your gun.

Yes it could be very politicized, in fact what could be fun would be two different games, two different titles, one where you are a rebel against evil cops, with a dumb scenario like, it’s 1984, you are fighting the evil government, and one where you are the cop fighting evil rebels, at the verge of chaos and terrorism all that.

But both will have multiplayer versions but left to believe they are not playing against NPCs. Kind of a Turing test, I guess.

full

Excuse me, time to get rich.
The Frowning Pony

Administrator
13 blinks per minute
@Penguin Dragneel  
WW2 games are about historical events but the vast majority go into the politics of it to push the message of “nazis are bad, intolerance is bad, hating people for their race or creed or sexuality is bad” beyond what was actually historical. Whenever a WW2 game has a character mentioned as jewish or there’s a black soldier or a female resistance member or spy, that’s “identity politics”, because they’re statistical anomalies in what was the historical average pushed forward into the player’s view specifically for a political reason.
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

[screams in German]
I’m probably a minority among adults here but when I play WW2 games, I ignore the story because I know it’s bullshit anyways.
Plain Pony
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron

Not a Plane pony
@Plain Pony
Bioshock series, which are very political as well. (to the absurd point but people say it’s good for making fun of loljectivism ) But more, a game in which you’re the judge, no different “endings” or scenarized like in CoD. (I guess, I used to be rather into Battlefield series)

I was focusing on the “Your player must obey every orders as dark the scenario becomes” line when making those game suggestions. Bioshock fits that because it’s revealed at the end that you were under control of the villan the whole game. As for this:

@Patachu  
I’m more imagining a game whether you decide really what you do, you have freedom, can reach higher grades or levels in the Party and all, or follow your idea, even build things or just modify the world like a sandbox and draw cocks on the walls all you want with your gun.
Yes it could be very politicized, in fact what could be fun would be two different games, two different titles, one where you are a rebel against evil cops, with a dumb scenario like, it’s 1984, you are fighting the evil government, and one where you are the cop fighting evil rebels, at the verge of chaos and terrorism all that.
But both will have multiplayer versions but left to believe they are not playing against NPCs. Kind of a Turing test, I guess.

The issue with games like this is that they’re generally not that good. The more options you give a player to use, the more game you have to build around it, and that’s both very expensive and very difficult to make fun to play. As such, they’re unattractive to the big companies that have the funding to make such games.

There are games that attempt this though, with mixed success. Deus Ex is one that comes to mind, which is considered by many to be a dated masterpiece. In terms of multiplayer though, we do have a lot of games where one side is a bad guy, but most multiplayer games downplay story elements, as multiplayer games are generally designed with good gameplay in mind, and story is poisonous to gameplay.
Background Pony #EBB2
@Cyborg_pony  
Can you post to the actual sources/explain what the video is talking about instead of blind linking to a 32 minute YT talking head video, please?

Pretty sure it would be easier and quicker for most of the people here.
The Frowning Pony

Administrator
13 blinks per minute
@Cyborg_pony  
That’s not what “blind linking” means… You’re supposed to give a short explanation of what the link is about or a useful excerpt from it. The video title could be anything; hell, in this case I don’t know if “industry” is games, game journalism, comics, or what.
Background Pony #EBB2
@Cyborg_pony  
Except like @The Frowning Pony  
said, its still not giving an explanation about what the actual link is about.

Seriously, is it really that hard to just give a short TLDR of the video and copy-paste the sources?
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

[screams in German]
Sonic The Hedgehog has finally broke-even after less than a week of being in theatres. Birds of Prey is still about $55M away.

Jesus Christ, that’s fast as shit. Oh and Twitter is blowing up because of it.
Commune
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

🚙
@Scrabbleman  
The fact that this, a movie about a cartoon talking hedgehog from a kids video game, is going to be more successful than fucking Dune directed by Denis Villeneuve, is both funny and sad

Daily reminder that parasite is still in theatres, if you want to know what real cinema is like

@Scrabbleman  
So
Zaiketsu

@The Frowning Pony

I’m pretty positive that the french resistance was not a “man’s only” sort of thing. There is also definite historical evidence that proves women were spies in WW2, resisting Nazi occupation and undermining their efforts and gathering intelligence.

When you’re resisting invaders to your country, you can’t really afford to exclude anyone based on gender.

There are also multiple cases of Jewish Americans signing up to fight the Nazis. And Jewish British. This isn’t “identity politics” because this shit actually happened. Jews did fight the Nazis. Women were spies in WW2. I don’t understand where this thought of “Only christian white men ever fought in WW2” came from.

Even black people fought in WW2, as part of a segregated unit. They even fought in WW1 for fuck’s sake.

They’re statistical anomalies

….and? Are their efforts worth any less just because they’re an “anomaly”? Are they somehow less important in history just because they were a minority?
The Frowning Pony

Administrator
13 blinks per minute
@Zaiketsu  
Must’ve taken effort to miss the point this badly.

Those things definitely happened, yes, but they weren’t the “bread and butter” of WW2, which is at odds with how practically every WW2 game has them present, and often in focus.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide