Gun Discussion

Background Pony #D758
@TagAnon  
There are rare examples of semi-auto revolvers. The most famous one is the Webley-Fosbery(UK). And there is this Italian one which I don’t remember it’s name.
Niggoslav_Krawczyk
Duck - Niggoslav_Kwaczyk
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Drinky_Butt
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

VIVA LA NOCTE
@Background Pony
I’m pretty sure there’s a certain military which uses them in tiny numbers. I do agree that it’s a completely useless weapon, though.

That’s because they created it. It would be like the US dropping the M14 and M16. Won’t happen, no matter how much better crap comes out. It’s like tradition to use it. Ditto Germans and Lugers/H&K. They will instead try to re-engineer a new technology to fit an old design.

@Randomosaur  
You can own flamethrowers most anywhere if you can come up with a ‘brushclearing’ excuse. Of course, if you’re living in some place that’s mostly desert or frozen you might have a tough time of that…

@SeraphimDawn  
The DORA is actually feasible, but nazi engineers approached things the wrong way. If the Soviets had the gun fetish you would have seen Shagohods all over. Germans kept throwing too much damn armour on everything, rendering every tank after the Panther a mobile pillbox, while both necessity and commands from above forced soviet engineers to get the same performance out of a fifth of the materials. A Soviet DORA would probably be un-railed and have its own turret. The IS4 got roughly the same performance as the Maus but weighed only 50 tons. Also if you ever wanted an argument for competition and contracts over nationalisation and ‘favouritism,’ Porsche basically kept pumping out the same engine out for every damn tank ever, which made ponderously slow tanks even slower since they were far overweight already. So a Soviet-made DORA would probably be like a turreted Sturmmorser (and around the same weight as Maus, would likely not carry many rounds on its own to prevent assaults by planes, extra rounds would be on supply trucks or towed by smaller vehicles), but as wide as those mining excavators to offset PSI.  
Granted, those advancements all came about because Stalin was like “MAKE IT FASTER/LIGHTER WITHOUT SACRIFICING A SINGLE THING, OR I SHOOT YOU” while Hitler would loiter around and pester his designers and basically act like a teenager watching one of the Great Old Beards coding, and the nervousness and stress would lead to them giving him impressive looking shit that couldn’t really work.
Niggoslav_Krawczyk
Duck - Niggoslav_Kwaczyk
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

VIVA LA NOCTE
@SeraphimDawn  
Yep. If the soviets had discovered that design in ‘43 before air power became more of a deciding factor, I think we’d have seen one. They already had a tank half that size (but mostly hollow) that had 3 turrets. Basically an ‘infantry support platform’
Whatevo
Thread Starter - The great GamerGate discussion.

Arch-Rarifag
Hey I’m in the market for a smexy handgun.

Looking for something relatively lightweight but fairly powerful. What would you guys recommend?
someguy111
Wallet After Summer Sale -

I hate it when guns are made/used for the purpose of killing people but as an avid outdoorsman I understand the need for a gun for the purpose of self defense and survival.
someguy111

@SeraphimDawn  
One thing I just don’t understand is the 21 gun salute at a funeral. Here there are people crying over the death of someone so hey why don’t they fire off devices that cause death and funerals?
TagAnon
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

@someguy111  
But that’s in the same vein as a sword arch at any given procession: military honors. Though this is sometimes extended to police, not just anybody gets one.

And for the modern 21 gun salute, I’m pretty sure they’re only shooting blanks these days since a bullet shot into the air will come down with consequences.
someguy111

@TagAnon  
Yeah they shot blanks at my great uncles funeral and he was military. I still don’t like or understand why they have to use an instrument of death to honor someone.
TagAnon
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

@someguy111  
A tool, regardless of occupation, is often a symbol of an occupation. A sword is as much a killing tool (and weapon of war) as a rifle. Thus they both have military symbolism.

Any reasonable and/or decent individual in the military won’t want to kill, but that’s their job if they’re called to do it.

Why use death to celebrate death? The old ‘live by the sword; die by the sword’ adage comes to mind, though I don’t know if that’s actually relevant. Symbols differ by culture too, and this is just Modern Western culture.
someguy111

Would someone please mind telling me why people think guns are so cool? Is it some kind of instant gratification to suddenly wield something so powerful? Does it make you feel like a man? Do you enjoy the concept of killing? Is it something hammered into our minds as children watching action heroes telling us that guns make us cool? I just don’t understand.
Niggoslav_Krawczyk
Duck - Niggoslav_Kwaczyk

VIVA LA NOCTE
@someguy111  
If you’ll never understand, then why do you even bother to ask?  
And yes, I do enjoy the concept of executing those who ask annoying questions they’ve already decided how they want answered, thanks. :D  
invades america randomly again
Niggoslav_Krawczyk
Duck - Niggoslav_Kwaczyk

VIVA LA NOCTE
@someguy111  
Oh. You were kind of saying it like you never would. I hear that so often that it rarely ever sounds like a legitimate question. The perception is already decided before the questioner gets an answer, it’s really just bait for an ambush. Piers Morgan is like the king of this.  
Anyway most people raised with guns seem to be involved with hunting or target shooting, so naturally this is where they think of them first, followed by defense against home invasions. (or invasions of another sort if you live along the southern borders, or an eastern european country). They’re simple tools and entertainment like a hammer, a bow, a saw, or an axe to most of them.

That’s the best way I can think of describing it in general. The media only pretends one ‘culture’ exists when there’s like three in the US, more or less in other countries. Also they enjoy blaming massacres on guns when it’s really pharmaceutical companies which ought be at fault. Most every massacre in the past 30 years have been done by those ‘on meds’ or ‘just going off.’ The whole ‘fanatical crazed gunman’ thing doesn’t actually seem to happen in the US, only outside, it’s almost always someone having the wrong amount or kind of dosage, or being diagnosed for something they didn’t really have. When it isn’t, it’s because they’re bounced out of a job they’ve had for decades and don’t know any modern-day skills. Only two I can recall offhand that are actual ‘crazed gunman’ type shootings involved a crazy cult church and of course that ‘beltway sniper’ guy, and neither of them had literal ‘sprees.’
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide