Gun Discussion

Background Pony #C2D7
🎶I dream of freedom,  
Just me and my machine gun.  
Born a free man, die a free man  
Even if it’s on the run.🎶
Background Pony #C2D7
I keep dreaming of suppressors. I have this strange compulsion to do a Form 1 can. I have the design in my head but I am not a machinist, but it involves a baffle stack of short lengths of spiral baffle that would be stacked in alternating directions to introduce turbulence and further slow the dissipation of propellant gasses.

It would also be a foot or so long and 2” in diameter, and used at the range on .22 rimfires, just for the troll value of it all. I assume it’d have to be mostly or entirely aluminum for the weight to be tolerable and not make it sag a bit.
Background Pony #C2D7
@MagpulPony  
Pretty much. There was a huge flood of “gangster” movies made in the 1930s in which every Mafia hoodlum was shown shooting up entire neighborhoods with full-auto Thompson SMGs and sniping at babies with suppressed firearms.

…only, due to the expense of the Thompson SMG, among other things, Hollywood production houses owned more of them than most nations’ armies (the US military was distinctly uninterested in the Thompson, considering it neither fish nor fowl and put off by the fact that it cost as much as four or five Springfield rifles) and they were singularly rare in criminal hands. But the confusion was helped along by lurid newsreels shown after the movie saying things like “GANGSTER ARSENAL OF TOMMY GUNS SEIZED,” and then the camera would pan for a few seconds over the captured “arsenal” showed BARs and Browning M1919s sold out the back door of the local National Guard arsenal by a corrupt supply sergeant and a small sprinkling of very ordinary hunting rifles and police service revolvers, and perhaps a double-barrel shotgun or two that had been cut down into a “lupara.”

The public, with rare exceptions, did not question any of this–which would have been difficult in an era before the Internet anyway. In, say, 1933, the only options for information were local and national newspapers and magazines of dubious accuracy and suspicious political leanings, that were more interested in lurid stories to drive sales than truth, newsreels even more lurid and politically driven, and the radio. Radio stations were owned by the same people who owned the movie production houses. All of this, plus rumor based on these things, was all anyone had to gain information about what was happening and form opinions.

I would also say that in the US it’s not so much the general public that has a problem with suppressors. There has always been a cohort of loud, opinionated Karens who don’t like the idea of private ownership of weapons of any kind at all, motivated, perhaps, by a form of Stockholm Syndrome. No, I think it’s politicians uncomfortable with the fact that the people they’re supposed to represent might take exception to the Big Plans they’ve got for us all.
Bumpkin

Yee Caw
Had an airsoft p90 at one time, it was one of my favorites and my main primary from the moment I had it. Wanted the real deal ever since.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@NitroFury

I always find it funny that people enthralled with the Pancor Jackhammer think that the proof-of-concept design is what it was meant to look like when it would be presumably put into production. Though it would look similar, it likely would’ve lost the top rail/carry handle in order to save weight, and used a lot more polymers for much the same reason. It’s magazine system would’ve likely seen changes as well, due to how finicky it is when it comes to the action.
Background Pony #C2D7
@Ebalosus  
Maybe. With a full auto shotgun it is my opinion that it’d be undesirable to take every engineering opportunity to minimize weight. It’s moving a tremendous mass of metal down the bore every second and you’ve got to have something to counteract muzzle rise, or else it’s going to throw most of that metal into the sky instead of at the intended target.

The HK CAWS

full

had all the same problems and a higher rate of fire.

I submit that full-auto “assault shotguns” are very much a 1970s-80s idea, a dated idea. The only way it could be more dated would be for the ammo to be loaded with flechettes. Hmm, it weighs as much as an M60, has a tenth the effective range, ammo weighs twice as much, the magazines themselves are bulky and heavy, and it’s uncontrollable in full auto fire! It’s only useful for close-range urban fighting and maybe jungle warfare–and is it really any more useful than an M249? Is it really THAT much better than a pistol caliber SMG that weighs a third as much? This is something thought up for the very specific needs of a SEAL point man on a recon patrol on the Ho Chi Minh Trail in 1966, if that guy has a deep and abiding affection for shotguns. For anyone anywhere else there are better tools for the same weight penalty.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide