General Anime Thread

Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Cyborg_pony

I mean, Zeon was explicitly drawing Nazi parallels. The EF wasn’t squeaky clean by any stretch but to Hollywood’s low credit there is an explicit “bad guy” here.
DeathCloud

Agent of Shadows
@Dustcan  
Actually Zeon was based on both Axis main players. Germany stuff is more obvious than Japan, most noticeable is Zeon claiming to aim to free spacers from Earth oppression while actually screwing colonies worse than Earth ever did like Japan was claiming to aim to free Asia from Europe influence while actually building their own oppressive and genotical empire
DeathCloud

Agent of Shadows
Interesting thing that this season have Cool-kyou Shinja 3 works adaptations airing. One manga adaption where he did both writing and drawing - Maid Dragon. One manga where he did writing (techcnially drawing too but for webcomic what got proper manga later) and art somebody else - Peach Boy Riverside. One manga where he did art while somebody else did writing - Idaten.  
Also these are increasingly more grimdark
Holofan4life
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

I II II L
I should preface this by saying that Toradora is my favorite anime of all time. So maybe, admittedly, I’m a little bit biased. However, I think Toradora gets unfairly criticized at times.

The main criticism I see is that Taiga is a jerk who constantly punches and hits the main character. They basically say that she’s no different from all the violent tsunderes that are a dime a dozen. However, I feel she’s different from a lot of the other violent tsunderes that were prevalent in the 2000s. For starters, she isn’t punching the main character, Ryuuji, because she’s in love with him. She doesn’t fall in love with him until roughly 1/3rd of the way through the series. Her anger comes from her inability to properly process emotions and her lack of trusting others. She was never taught by her parents how to properly deal with her feelings. On top of that, her dad has abandoned her countless times when she really needed him. That is sure to make anyone an insecure mess.

Second, and I think this is very important, she does change and grow as a character. A couple years ago, I counted the amount of times Taiga hit, smacked, or punched Ryuuji. And in the first three episodes, the total was something like 40. However, near the end of the series, Taiga didn’t really punch Ryuuji anymore. Maybe once an episode, but that’s it.

I know the criticism then is “Oh, but one is still too much.” On top of that, you’ll have people saying “If she truly changed, how come she headbutted Ryuuji when he said he loved her?” But I view that as more of an involuntary reaction. When you spend your whole upbringing unsure of how to deal with your feelings and being scared of having your heart broken again, it takes a long rebuilding process to build back up that trust. It’s not just something that randomly goes away.

If you’re timid and frightened and feel the best course of action is violence, thereby making the people run away before they get too close to you, you can’t randomly stop being violent. You have to continuously work on it.

Controlling one’s temper is a lot like recovering from alcohol. It requires a lot of mental and physical preparation. I speak from experience, as I have major anger issues. When you’re of a mindset where you have to be violent in order to make people not want to be around you, it’s really tough when you finally decide to let your guard down and they do something nice for you. Because you’re waiting for the shoe to drop and for them to stomp all over your heart.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Holofan4life

Toradora came out during the big mid-2000 tsundere tsunami, so it’s natural that its tsundere would get lumped with the others.

Granted, averaging a punch on her inevitable romantic once every 2 minutes or so doesn’t mean those criticisms are unwarranted, context or no.
Random-Rambling
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
@Holofan4life

Despite Taiga’s violence, I actually really like Toradora too because Ryuuji gives as good as he gets; he does NOT take this shit lying down, unlike SOME PEOPLE I could name**.

** That being Keitaro from Love Hina and Saito from The Familiar of Zero.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
I’ve rediscovered my love for an anime I had actually forgotten about briefly.

Got distracted listening to the opening again.

The show in question is Vandread. Which basically takes men are from Mars and women are from Venus to its weirdly logical conclusion.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@Dustcan

I liked it so much I bought it on DVD, including the “movie” which was just a 2 part OVA that ended the show. Just rediscovered it.

I used to have a bit of a crush on one of the characters.
Holofan4life
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

I II II L
I really enjoyed the first episode of Jahy-sama. It was a good first impression, with enough wiggle room to grow. I found it interesting that in the first episode, we’re only introduced to three characters. That seems like a kinda low amount. Then again, the first episode or two of Nagatoro only had like two characters focused on, so I guess it’s not that strange.

But I guess what made the whole thing particularly weird is that it felt like some sequences were stretched out to fill for time. For instance, there’s a scene where Jahy fights the landlord over having to pay the rent. Normally, a scene like that would be 2 to 3 minutes. But it went on for like 5 minutes. It was still my favorite scene in the episode, but it felt like it could’ve been shorter.

I also didn’t think they did a good job of establishing the fact that Jahy’s boss and the landlord are sisters. They casually mention it, but don’t do a good job of firmly focusing on it.

But overall, the show has the potential to be really good. I find most shows struggle with their first outing and get really good later on. Hell, Spice and Wolf, one of my favorite animes of all time, had a pretty so so first episode. But by episode 3 or 4, it gets absolutely fantastic. This episode, meanwhile, was good by first episode standards. There was a lot to like about it. I also really like the characters we’ve been introduced to. It’s going to be really interesting when we see more characters added to the mix.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide