General Anime Thread

ghostfacekiller39
Duck - Bona fide shitposter - ignore or report

Sunny Day Realtor
@tehwatever  
Here’s the seasonal tab, if you’re interested in that.

There’s still other nuances to consider, but if you just pay no mind to the more subjective elements like mean score and member count then those nuances will be more or less irrelevant. The nuances are born from the userbase responding and whatnot.

i.e. harem&ecchi shows will start off towards the top at every season in terms of member count before the show airs, but slow down once the season itself starts, since we’re a pretty high profile niche and we’ll add this shit to our plan to watch based solely on listed genre. Once people get to talking and shows begin rising to the top, we tend to plateau. You’ll find a lot of those shows at the top before the season begins airing, but they rarely stay that way. Just stuff like that.
Josh103
Thread Starter - Artists you miss.

There are a number of animes I’d like to watch, but from what I understand it’s more “optimal” to almost always go for the source material first, if possible, as the animes of basically anything should be seen more as a way for the characters and setting to “come to life” instead of being the introduction to the franchise.

How true, to you all, is that?
ghostfacekiller39

Sunny Day Realtor
@Josh103  
Not true. Like, 0%. Whoever told you that is probably a massive sourcefag and you’re going to end up wasting a bunch of your time reading source materials just to watch the anime.

If anything, it’s the opposite - anime are made to be commercials for the source material. They make the setting and characters and whatnot more accessible to a wider audience and hope to get you hooked, and then almost never get a complete adaptation so the audience members who want to see the end of the story go out and buy the source.

But honestly? Neither are relevant. Watch or read whatever the fuck you feel like, in whichever way works best for you. There’s no rigid rules or shit like that, no “proper” way to watch shit. The only thing that matters is maximizing your enjoyment.

Do you feel like watching these shows without reading the source at all? Go for it.

Do you feel like reading the source first then watching the anime? Go for it.

Rather than follow some made up, bullshit guideline, go with your gut. Each and every time. When it comes to little shit like this, it’s almost never wrong.
DeathCloud

Agent of Shadows
@Josh103  
Not really, unless adaption is bad (this often is divisive issue) its more optimal to start with anime and then continue with source material or wait until anime adapt more  
As long you do not prefer manga or novel over anime in general
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
It took 8 episodes but Godzilla finally does something in Godzilla Singular Point.

Thank goodness. I was really growing on Jet Jaguar, but you don’t come for someone other than Big G in a show about him.
ghostfacekiller39

Sunny Day Realtor
@DeathCloud  
I’m at the point where I just don’t straight up trust people if they say shit like “People need to read the source, the adaptation butchers it” as a way to deflect criticism. Experience tells me that most of the time the stuff the adaptation changes/omits that they cite is irrelevant bullshit - i.e. nothing that’ll significantly alter characterization, narrative themes, et cetera, just minor bullshit.

Then, when an adaptation of a work they were a fan of before it was cool gets criticized, their response to that criticism is to try to move the convo to an area the other party is unfamiliar with and dictate the true contents. Unless the cited changes are actually very significant to the characterization and theme, it’s a cheap fucking rhetoric tactic.

What’s usually missing isn’t stuff that’ll change shit on a fundamental level. It’s usually fine details that, while it could add another dimension to what’s happening, won’t really sway a viewer to like what they were already disliking. Adaptations very rarely leave out shit that’d be that groundbreaking. They can and have but it’s very rare.

Likewise? There’s been series like Sankarea or Nazo no Kanojo X which actually did take great liberties with the source material, and the anime adaptations were significantly better off because of it. People don’t really like to bring that up when they’re using sourcefagging as a cheap rhetoric tactic, though, because the endgoal is just to try to abdicate all issues to the adaptation to prop up the source material that other people aren’t reading or looking into to nearly the same extent as pristine.

It’s just kinda cut and dry. Don’t trust people who sourcefag unless they actually say something meaty to back it up. “Adaptations bad, manga always better” is a fucking noobtrap used by people who want to try to shape the discussion surrounding a series they like into something they’d prefer without actually putting forth the effort to make a convincing point about why it’s great.

It’s just like rec culture, man - try to make new people to rely on more experienced fans for recs instead of trying to equip them with the tools to find shit on their own, and then use those recs to try to curate the opinions of the new person to assimilate them into the hive. Y’know, a noobtrap.

So many of the perceptions a lot of people have when it comes to how they should watch and interact with anime - and a lot of stuff that people who aren’t very familiar with anime yet say about trying to navigate the medium - just blatantly read like overcomplications of otherwise simple things that stem from how so many people in this fandom have an obsession with trying to curate the tastes and interests of others. Nobody needs to rely on recs. Nobody needs to read the manga. That rigidity is an illusion.

I mean, hell, this thread a few years back was super harsh about that sort of thing, too. It’s cringe.

A more cohesive rundown of this rant, I guess:

Sourcefagging has always - overwhelmingly - been a way to try to deflect criticism from the series as a whole to just the adaptation, and the stuff people cite won’t change elements or aspects fundamental to said series. It’s a stupid fucking feelings protector, i.e. “I don’t like the anime and will say it’s bad but you’ll say the manga/light novel/whatever is good and the adaptation is bad. This lets me uphold my criticisms of the anime that I watched and you get to make it sound like it’s a problem with the anime and not the series.”

New people seeing shit like that and having the idea that manga > anime is a problem because it’s born from what was always a ridiculous and dishonest element of discussing anime online. It’s rarely better or full of twists, it just adds on to and reinforces shit that was already setup. Major plot twists tend to get adapted.

Furthermore, adapting a manga/light novel into an anime isn’t some cavalier bit where people just completely disregard what they’re adapting to do their own thing. People get fucking shitcanned for doing that unless it works out extremely well. First season of TLR sold really well despite being full of anime original content. Director who took it in that direction still got shitcanned. Next season under the new director completely realigned it with the source.

It’s a bullshit myth perpetuated by dishonest discussion and cheap rhetoric tactics. Nothing more.

Also, if you’re new to anime/manga and feel like you need help getting your bearings with how shit works, for fuck’s sake, don’t trust people who try to tell you what and how to interact with the medium, i.e. “watch this show” or “read manga its always better than anime.” If they’re not equipping you with the tools to find shit out for yourself, they’re just putting you in a noobtrap, intentionally or not. Anime is ridiculously diverse in terms of content and audiences. The only way to do shit in a situation like that is to adapt shit to yourself as an individual. What they like or how they think shit works might not be how you end up seeing it.

Best decision I ever made as an anime fan was sticking with the H&E shit that I found I really liked and got made fun of here for liking, instead of becoming a fucking Jojotard or whatever like this thread kept trying to pressure me into when I was still new. Their fucking consensus approved shit. Do your own fucking thing, fuck what anyone else says you should do. You wanna watch anime and not read manga? Fucking go for it! And breaking news, you won’t enjoy reading manga if you don’t actually want to read manga! Expanding and adding a bunch of tertiary details because they’re cheaper to produce and therefore have much longer runtimes won’t fucking change shit!
DeathCloud

Agent of Shadows
Rip spider form. At least her girl form is cute and still voiced by Aoi Yuuki

@Holofan4life  
This one actually was decent and not spider cgi is OK. If only rest of show was that way it would be great

I hope it still get next season because I’m actually engaged with this story and conflict, Pointimas was cool too
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

You telling me Anna ran twenty feet to protect Shun faster than Kyouya swing a sword? YOU KIDDING ME?! If you that fast why not tackle his ass?!

-Kumoko legit says ADIOS.

-See, you CAN make decent animation if you tried. CGI still janky tho. Stop it.

Potimas: Speaks.  
Me: mr. hand fetish serial-killer who wants a quiet life.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

Potimas: My name is Potimas Haifenas–

Me: You’re 33 yrs old, single. You work in Kame-yuu department store. You get home at 8 pm. You don’t smoke, but you occasionally drink. You do stretches and drink a glass of warm milk before getting to bed at around 11 pm, and you always make sure to get 8 hours of sleep. You’re the kinda guy who likes to live a quiet life.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
It only took 10 episodes but we finally get to see Godzilla’s Atomic, er, Rings. And it was worth the wait.

Granted most of the imagery was clearly ripped off from Shin Godzilla so of course it looked good.
Random-Rambling
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
@ghostfacekiller39

You make an excellent point, especially the “do what you want, watch or read what you want, and make your own damn opinions!”, but what if someone asks “But what is actually good to watch/read?”

I suppose your answer would be “Who cares what OTHER people think is good? ‘Good’ is so incredibly subjective that it’s largely useless! Watch series and form your own opinions!”
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
Well I don’t know what happened in Singular Point’s ending. But I do know dropping a stinger involving Mechagodzilla means I want a second season.
ghostfacekiller39

Sunny Day Realtor
@Random-Rambling  
I mean, yeah. It doesn’t matter if you’re using a database site, an illegal streaming platform, or a legal one. They all make stuff like synopsis and promo material readily available and usually have some kind of score feature and comments on the series. Info is readily available, so I’d just encourage people to use that info to try out shit that sounds interesting to them.

Rec culture is kind of AIDS ngl.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Was watching MS Gundam Hathaway when they keep saying the name of a person named Mafty Navue Erin whose name is said to be a strange amalgamation of a sudanese arabic and old-irish. Said person is the leader of a terrorist organization called Mafty Navue. I don’t speak arabic nor Irish so take their word for it.

Then over the course of the anime, I realize that they’re pronouncing Mafty Navue like Ma-fu-tee Na-bee so I was like “Heh? Is that how you pronounce it?”

Then the character explained the meaning of Mafty Navue as “righteous prophet” and I was like “oh.”

Wait, Mafty Navue as in THIS? مفتي نبي

So it’s MUFTI NABII? So now we have terrorist groups called Mufti Nabii and terrorists calling themselves Muftis?!

Do you know what Muftis are? JURISTS. A person who is authorized to issue a nonbinding islamic edict called a fatwa. The act of issuing a fatwa is called ifta, a mufti is a person who does ifta.

Who gives you permission going around brandishing a gun and calling yourselves muftis?!
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide