General Anime Thread

ghostfacekiller39
Duck - Bona fide shitposter - ignore or report

Sunny Day Realtor
I don’t think I’ve ever actively defended SAO from criticism since I find most of it to be at least somewhat fair and I don’t feel strongly enough about series in either direction to want to put energy into actually discussing it, but I absolutely make fun of people who try too hard to rip on it. Shit’s really obnoxious with how overbearing people get about it. Don’t need to defend something when you could just go on the offensive.

A lot of it tends to be people who aren’t very familiar with anime/manga/LNs/whatever trying to signal that they’re in the know, and since they usually lack the perspective to actually be in the know, it tends to be very obviously insincere bullshit. Mix that with how much of it is just empty hyperbole and that the anime adaptation is damn near 10 years old at this point, it’s just kind of cringey.

Mike legit probably has the best way of going about being a newb weeb. Doesn’t pretend he’s an anime expert or enter and immediately try to do some AVGN-esque schtick as an anime critic, whether or not he has the breadth of perspective to lend as much credibility be damned. Just has his shit he likes like Initial D, he joins the discussion equipped with what he knows and doesn’t put on obnoxious pretenses. His only mistake is using fucking Anilist.

Experience tells me that most really vocal SAO haters tend to be in his position, but go about it in the complete opposite way. And if I just said I think he goes about things in the optimal way, well…

Not like ragging on people for acting like that is bad, anyway. It’s a fruitless discussion to have since they’re rarely equipped to actually have it in the first place, and in SAO’s case in particular, it’s a discussion I don’t care to have, even with a capable opponent. Mockery can be used to ground people in reality a bit and make them self-aware if actual discourse isn’t a viable option. They won’t respond well immediately, sure, but it’ll make the little cogs start turning and maybe eventually they can become somebody you can have a decent conversation with about your shared hobby. If somebody is acting embarrassing, make a joke out of it. Ez.
Holofan4life
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

I II II L
I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again. So many people have called Sword Art Online overrated that it’s actually circled back to being underrated.
Holofan4life
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

I II II L
Nagatoro continues to be a pleasant surprise. I like how in the latest episode, we see that senpai actually really enjoys being teased.
QuasarNova
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - Equestria Girls RPG
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

SAO is actually good you just hating it because its trendy

I like the first half more than I would like to admit just on how it ended with Kirito just struggling to walk and obviously touched from all the shit that happened.

And whatever season with Shion, Sinon? Green haired sniper girl, that season had good points.

Then I completely forget if I saw the rest because it is all replaced with Kuroko no Basket
DeathCloud

Agent of Shadows
@igotnopicks  
I wouldn’t say its best, but it is still stand out. This miniarc have no SAO style stakes with being trapped in game or it being deathly or killer being in it. Shows that you can have good SAO story by just using Full Dive VRMMORPG working properly. GGO arcis best IMO from pre Alicization SAO
ghostfacekiller39
Duck - Bona fide shitposter - ignore or report

Sunny Day Realtor
@Mikey  
There isn’t really a need to take it so seriously on your end given that this means pretty much nothing - it’s still just a fucking anime listing site, to start, and that was just a tacked on half-joke (I.e. he’s a nice guy but he roots for Duke/the Yankees/the Patriots/whatever) at the tail end of a paragraph where I was praising you - but I’ll give you an in-depth explanation if you want to say you don’t understand what’s wrong with it.

I’m going to keep calling Anilist shit because I hate what it represents. A modern UI doesn’t make up for horrible moderation that has rules that ostensibly try to keep people who like certain kinds of anime out of their community. Given I’m in one of those de facto blackballed fandoms and many of my friends from MAL who went there got driven out by their needlessly oppressive rules about what you’re allowed to use to present yourself, damn straight I hate that site. Why would I like or respect a place that thumbs their nose at fans like me and says “We don’t want your kind here” - especially when that’s not a problem on the ground level community as much as a problem with the ones who write the rules at the very top?

You can all sit here and make me out as the big bad elitist all you like, but I stand where I have always stood, back all those years ago and to this day. Disrespect and feelings of superiority aren’t mutually inclusive. Anilist’s brand - as created by their own staff with their rulesets and enforcement of as much - represents something I very much do hate when you look at it from that perspective. Especially since it applies to me and mine in this case, probably moreso than anyone else here.

But more than anything? You need to look at MAL/AL like a sports rivalry. It can definitely assume greater meaning when looked at from a perspective that accounts for all of the little nuances in either site’s community, but at the end of the day it’s still just two competing anime listing sites. MAL is UNC, AL is Duke. State versus Private. So on and so forth. One has outdated infrastructure but is for everyone, the other has modern infrastructure but is only for the select group with approved interests in anime. Only they can stay active in its community, and the rest will unceremoniously be mod sniped out if they make themselves too known. Or in more extreme cases on AL - like my group, fans of Harem&Ecchi anime - just listing your stuff and otherwise keeping your head down will still invite that sort of exclusion from up top because precedent shows me they’re that proactive against certain types of anime fans. Our same fanbase has no issue being able to participate pretty much unopposed on MAL, though. This is not a coincidence.

Just as with sports clubs, the way any given community is run will lead it to represent something, especially if they’re in competition with one another for activity. In this case, AL ended up choosing the path of being the baddies. As I hate what they chose to represent, I will hate them for what they represent. You’ll have to just deal with that ¯*(ツ)*/¯ Exclusion based on superficial bullshit tends to evoke that type of response from those being excluded.

And before anyone tries to make it out like I was a problem member there since I tend to be a problem member here, my AL ban count is 0 and I hate their staff. My ban count on MAL is 7 and here it’s 6. I don’t dislike either site’s staff, and in MAL’s case I even like them. My problem was that I liked the wrong shit, just like my friends who tried being active there and got treated worse in spite of being non-confrontational people. Yes, the reason I have no bans on AL is relative lack of activity. Yes, my activity there is non-existent because I bailed when it became clear “my kind” wasn’t welcome there.

Fuck Anilist. Here’s hoping MAL beats the shit out of them in the World Series of anime listing sites or whatever, if something like that ever happens.

If you want to keep using it and haven’t dealt with them/dealt with them yet, feel free. That matters little since it’s not a ground level community issue, it’s an issue with the ones vetting who’s allowed to participate, and if you fall into the type of anime fan they consider acceptable, the site infrastructure is both more stable and up-to-date than MAL’s. But I’m going to hate AL, and I’ll hate them based on their own choices.

To legions of otherwise reasonable adults, it is a conflict that surpasses sports; it is locals against outsiders, elitists against populists, even good against evil… The rivalry may be a way of aligning oneself with larger philosophic ideals — of choosing teams in life — a tradition of partisanship that reveals the pleasures and even the necessity of hatred.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide