General Anime Thread

DeathCloud

Agent of Shadows
@Random-Rambling  
Dubs are to much ingerence in original product, replacing huge part of it and its identify, all because this part of foreign media is to foreign, no different than replacing music, animation, characterization and writing (dubs some times guilty of these too)  
And I’m talking about all dubs, not just for anime (people kneejerk reaction and accuse anybody hating dubs of that)  
Additional issue are forcing third language dubs on me (like english dub of any non english media, or french/italian for anime)  
Also Plus Untra is still better in original, unless you are allergic japanese engrish  
I take occasional bad engrish over entire thing dubbed in proper english all time
tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@DeathCloud  
Yeah sure. It’s called localization for a reason. Any dub is absolutely not the original. Imo it takes away from the original’s vision and like you said, its identity.

But that aside

you can’t make people not enjoy dubs. You can argue about the right or wrongness of it, but that’s not an argument of whether or not it’s enjoyable.

Some ppl love fruits on pizzas, myself included.
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
How many people here prefer the Japanese original over the the English dub of Dragonball Z? A bunch of people,even purists don’t seem to like Goku’s voice in particular.
igotnopicks
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - Splatoon thread

Monado User
@Dex Stewart  
I think everyone prefers the English Dub of Goku to Japanese. Because Goku doesn’t sound like a girl. And he’s supposed to be like in his 20s by the time Z is going on.
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@igotnopicks  
@WyrmSpawN  
I’m actually so used to the Japanese original Sean Schemmel sounds out of place. Goku needs a chipmunk voice.  
I first heard the Original version when I found a bootleg tape of Tree of Might. I was shocked to hear the high pitched scream of Goku. Oddly,other characters had voices far less cartoony,and sounded almost natural compared to the English dub. King Kai with such a deep voice was also surprising. But that got me interested in hearing more of the original,and now I don’t watch much of the English dub at all.  
Though that’s partially due to the translation as well.
Holofan4life
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

I II II L
@Holofan4life
I’ve heard 15 is the preferred stopping point.
Keep this in mind, should you continue.

I plan on watching the whole series. I already know going in about the decline in quality. If I can find some enjoyment in The Promised Neverland season 2, I should be fine with the second half of Darling In The FranXX.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Dex Stewart  
I agree.  
The 90s DBZ original, complete with its space western / ancient eastern mythos soundtrack by shunsuke kikuchi is a lot different than the dub. And then taking into account the actual dialogue and characterization changes of the dub, 90s DBZ had two different identities.

90s DBZ Original Vegeta sounds so smooth and princely. Imo that’s who he was when he was when first showed up. An elite, snobby, upper class sadist sore loser and the original got it right.

BUT, that was then in the 90s, when they were full on localizing anime. Recent dubs apparently are trying to be more faithful to the original, at least in everything but voice performance. To me, the current dub is like performing a foreign play but in local language.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

I personally like Medabot’s dub.  
Idk why but black Metabee and Ikki with an accent hits the right spot for me.

and yes. Samurai Pizza Cats dub is god-tier.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide