General Anime Thread

dt
Diamond Tiara's Diamond Tiara - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
The 1% - Uploaded 1% or more of the site's images
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Cannon Busters ep 2. Kind of a weak follow up to a decent start. The ep’s twists felt kinda contrived, and Philly’s “curse” just feels like a plot convenience than a burden. This also makes me think this is going to be an episodic adventure.

Sam and Casey acting like curious kids who never shut up and are eager to press buttons was fun. I do prefer this dynamic where new people in the main character’s life are a huge nuisance, as opposed to them being the solution to all their problems.

The ep shows the fall of Botica in great detail, but I don’t feel like it added that much. They probably could’ve just showed it with quick montages and let the audience piece it together. Honestly, the flashbacks just put into question if Sam’s dedication was simply part of her programing or something more. (But maybe that is the point?)

full

Dr. Stone ep 7. Speaking of grifters, in this ep, Senku casually wrecks some “sorcerer.”

I can’t agree with the show saying that technological advancement is an inevitability. But it is a kids’ show and it’s trying to be cool and optimistic, so I’ll give it a pass on that.

Would’ve preferred it if Senku offered to teach Chrome rather than just taking his stuff. I get not wanting to teach everyone, but Chrome is clearly wired differently. I’ve liked this show’s depiction of science up to this point, and I’m disappointed they didn’t take this opportunity to make science feel accessible.

Narratively, this was an opportunity to give a character (any character) growth. I mean, Senku isn’t going to get smarter and he’ll only be challenged physically. Would’ve been nice to watch see at least one of the other character here actually learn from him instead of just letting him to all the critical thinking.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Fire Force ep 6. Hibana turned out to be an interesting villain. I don’t get the sense that hers is a case of power corrupting, but power revealing. Hibana never believed in salvation through faith, her tragedy just validated her beliefs and the manifestation of powers gave her the opportunity to do what she always wanted to do. (I mean, Iris didn’t turn out like her.) Hibana attaching her self-worth to her power and gaining power through willful exploitation others was some good villainy.

It’s too bad the show didn’t know how to end her story and made her fall in love with the teenage(!) boy who just beat her in a fight. Kinda hated that.

full

Granbelm ep 7. Clare’s talk with Anna hurt so good. I think this is the first time we see how this fight affects those who aren’t participating in it.

Anna and Ernesta’s fight had very impressive visuals and the best choreography yet, with Ernesta practising what she preached. It’s not how much magic is in the air, it’s up to the mage to use it well.

I’m really not sure what to think of Anna at this point. I thought maybe her anger was because she had been abandoned for Ernesta, but the show seems to frame it like she was loved just as much. At this point, it just seems like petty jealousy. Of course, she’s not dead but I’m not sure I even want her to be redeemed at this point.

Shingetsu has an interesting take on power - she feels no pride or joy from it because she never earned it, but she suffers the consequences all the same. And I agree with her that this whole thing is fucked, so I’m pulling for her.

But now real question is: what the hell is Suisho’s role in this? It really seems like she set all this up, but why? She seems skilled and powerful enough to win straight-up, so why not just win? What is is her goal in all this?

full

O Maidens ep 7. Tfw you can’t stop thinking about boobs.

Kazusa’s problems have been the most relatable, but her story kinda lacks bite compared to the others. Myabe it’s because her problems are too universal, so their stakes feel lower? Maybe she’s gotta get more problematic, hmm. Maybe the others will complicate things for her.

Highly questionable decision for Niina to go the old pedophile for advice, but it just goes to show that she really doesn’t have anyone. And it seems like she’s going continue to hurt and be hurt by the few people she’s close to.

I feel like Sonezaki’s problem here is that she wants to feel loved and be in love without facing the consequences from it, without having to work to maintain it, and I don’t expect that to work. Not in this show.

full

I love this show.
Random-Rambling
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
@dt

As true as that may be, that doesn’t detract from the point the BlackBerry is being cringy as hell with that post.

If that’s a real tweet. We all know how EASY it is to fake a tweet.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Symphogear XV ep 7. Another impossible last-second miracle.

Carol and the Autoscorers are back! I remember them being stronger than the Gears but I guess their new bodies aren’t as good. I loved that is was that it was Elfnein’s desire to save her friends was what brought out Carol. I loved the little smirk Elfnein made as she started her transformation, as well as the Autoscorers reflected on her hat. And is that Minase Inori in the ED? I hope they give Carol a song.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
Here are my rankings for the first half of Summer 2019. This has been a great season for me, a lot of these could be in top 15-20 for the year. As usual, all standards for artistic merit are completely subjective and arbitrary.

Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo
Symphogear XV
Granbelm
Given
Machikado Mazoku
Aikatsu Friends (62+)
Kanata no Astra
Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san S2
Re:Stage! Dream Day
Star Twinkle Precure (22+)
Dr. Stone
Enn enn no Shouboutai
Cannon Busters (1-2)
Dropped
Vinland Saga (1-5)
Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e (1-2)
Carole and Tuesday (1-13)
Cop Craft (1-5)
Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru (1-4)
Okaa-san Online (1-2)
Joshikousei no Mudazukai (1-4)
Sounan Desu Ka (1-2)

full

O Maidens is as effortlessly funny as it is brutally well-observed. It’s is a painfully true-to-life depiction of the high-school experience, sparing no one. Everyone is ignorant and insecure in their own way, only suffering under different set of circumstances and social expectations. I also appreciate that it depicts pedophilia as something that is genuinely damaging, not a mere annoyance.

Every member of the literature club is now fully realized enough to carry a story all by herself, and yet the way these stories intersect consistently elevates all of them, emphasizing the shared nature of their pain. It’s always a treat to run into a character drama this rich, perceptive, and compassionate.

My only major issue with it right now is that it doesn’t feel like it’s directly building towards any sort of plot that could be resolved within just this season, but I’m loving this thoughtful and unabashedly messy ride.

Symphogear XV has been the best season of one of the best anime franchises. It’s one of those pieces of media that carries itself with such an massive amount of confidence and self-satisfaction that it absolutely would not work were it even an iota less masterfully delivered as it is. There’s plenty of opportunities for it to fuck it up, but it’s nailed every impossible trick so far.

Granbelm has unexpectedly has become my premiere action vehicle of this season. Its fights are engaging and thrilling, and stay coherent even with all the lazer beams that end up on screen at some times. I love how smoothly the show incorporates its more emotionally-driven conflicts into the mech fights. Its conversations about the difficult compromises of life, how difficult it is to improve yourself, and how to deal with power and trauma have been some of the sharpest of the season, rivaling that of O Maidens. This also might be the best voiced show of the year.

The only reason I can’t yet put this at the top is that it’s too intense at times. It loses some emotional grounding and the characters are not as sympathetic as they could be. Still, I’m really curious and slightly nervous about how it’s going to walk the tightrope between being too nice and being too mean going forwards from here.

Given is looking to not just be a satisfying band drama, but also a thoughtfully executed romance. Unlike O Maidens, the characters are portrayed as young men who are beyond the insecurities of high-school. The tone and use of layouts have been excellent, it’s got smart visual storytelling, the dialogue is refreshingly honest. The group’s conversations about music possess an easy naturalism, selling the substance of its cast through their divergent but mutually sympathetic perspectives.

Unfortunately, its technical limitations come through clearly. Sometimes, it lacks the tonal specificity to really evoke any sort of mood or atmosphere. And it could really benefit from more intricate character acting. But the writing and direction are good enough to carry the show above its production issues.

Machikado Mazoku consistently makes me squirm in joy over how stupidly adorable it is. But it’s also a bit frustrating because it could be even better if it aimed higher. It hints at a legit plot, themes, and relationship development that it could really build on. It only needs a little push to elevate itself above simply good CGDCT and into get into the upper echelon for the year. But maybe this latest ep might’ve started a real change in the status quo, and maybe this show will actually get up there.

Aikatsu Friends S2 represents the essence of what it means to be Friends - what it means to be friends, to means to care for someone deeply, and to love someone with all of your heart. This, too, is Aikatsu.

Astra has been a pretty even course. It offers an energetic and polished series of space adventures, tied together by the theme that kids are great and parents suck. It has mostly been just a series of urgent plot beats, but it looks like it’s going to have a major change to its status quo now. Even if it doesn’t, it should remain a solid episodic adventure.

Takagi-san S2 has been a nice reprieve from all the depressing and problematic shit that I watch. It’s clearly building to the leads holding hands, and there is absolutely no chance it’ll do more than that. (Hell, it might not even do that.) But it’s fine, it has its place in my rankings.

Star Twinkle has been a perfectly competent kids’ cartoon, although it’d be nice to see it do something more dramatic and ambitious.

Dr. Stone is starting to show cracks. It seems like just another shounen anime where the main character is only ever challenged physically. Everyone letting Senku do all the thinking for them makes me thinks this isn’t the kind of show that’s going to have any actual character development for anyone. I like its depiction of science for the most part, but I hope it picks up narratively because I’m slowly running out of interest.

Fire Force feels like a show that is trying to rise above expectations of a shounen action anime but is forced to adhere to genre conventions for whatever reason. I really do love this show’s direction and style, and the writing is pretty interesting at times. It smartly delves into the inherent tragedy in its premise and how different people deal with trauma. But it also resolved the latest arc by having its protag literally yell “I’m a hero” and wins for no reason other than he’s the fucking hero. I feel like this show does more good than bad, but when it is bad, it’s fucking awful.
Holofan4life
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

I II II L
@dt

It should also be noted the general consensus amongst anime fans is that both Vinland Saga and Kimetsu no Yaiba are the best animes of the season
DeathCloud

Agent of Shadows
New episode of Symphogear was best of season. Something I waited so long after season 3 and many people were saying it will not happen.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide