General Anime Thread

Random-Rambling
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
The only reason Louise from Familiar of Zero is so mean is because of what her sister taught her. Her sister is also mean, so Louise learned it from her sister.

I mean, there’s also the fact that she was bullied, like, every single day. That shit CHANGES a person.
dt
Diamond Tiara's Diamond Tiara - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
The 1% - Uploaded 1% or more of the site's images
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Non Non Biyori ep 7-8. My opinion of Komari went up. Komari wants to hurry up and be an adult but she has no idea what that means. She attaches meaning to superficial things because she thinks indulging in them makes her an adult. Much like how both kids and adults IRL do. The other two girls weren’t even being judgmental, Komari was just beating herself up. It’s cute.

The second half of ep 8 was quite rewarding to watch, as Komari let herself indulge in some childish things. It’s a little idealistic to think being an adult means the freedom to decide what that means, social expectations would never allow that. But maybe Komari can learn that she doesn’t need to hurry up and grow up.

I mean, there’s at least one person in Komari’s life who loves her just the way she is. Maybe there will be some development where Hotaru tells Komari- ah, who am I kidding. It’s yuri, it will never happen.
Holofan4life
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

I II II L
The only reason Louise from Familiar of Zero is so mean is because of what her sister taught her. Her sister is also mean, so Louise learned it from her sister.
I mean, there’s also the fact that she was bullied, like, every single day. That shit CHANGES a person.

Exactly. Louise gets unfairly trashed.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Finished Non Non Biyori S1. Pretty good, just not as consistent as I would like. Hit higher emotional highs than I expected but also missed me a fair amount.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
Here are my final rankings for my Spring 2019 season. My season turned out to have more problematic shows than I expected, and it wasn’t even the BL anime. As usual, all standards for artistic merit are completely subjective and arbitrary.

Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu
Aggrestusko S2
Aikatsu Friends S2
Sarazanmai
Carole & Tuesday
Star Twinkle Precure
Senryuu Shoujo
Fruits Basket 2019
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Dropped
Miru Tights (1)
Hachigatsu no Cinderella Nine (1-2)
One Punch Man S2 (1-6)
Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai (1-9)
Nande Koko ni Sensei ga (1)
Joshikausei (1)
Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san (1-2)
Strike Witches 501 Butai Hasshin Shimasu (1)

full

Hitoribocchi is a triumphant celebration of social anxiety. I have grown to love shows about how messy life and relationships are, where all the characters are disasters, and Hitoribocchi does this in the most fun and wholesome way as I have seen it done. It doesn’t have its characters have an epiphany and completely change forever, it really gets how slow and difficult emotional growth actually is.

The main four all receive a good amount of focus, and the group dynamics work flawlessly no matter which of them are bouncing off of each other at any given moment. The visual execution is fantastic as well. The mob characters having the detail that they do not only adds more personality to the show, it also helps to highlight Bocchi’s insecurities. And the comedy is consistently on-point, adding just enough edge to the comfy to put me in stitches at many points in the series.

This should easily be in my Top 10 for the Year, maybe even Top 5.

Aggretsuko S2 was about as good as the first season without being just a rehash of the first season. The early stuff with Anai and Retsuko’s mother was quite frustrating, although to be fair, that’s what they were going for. A lot of shows try very hard to put you in its character’s heads to get the viewer to sympathize with them, and it is quite impressive how this series manages to get you to feel the anger that its eponymous character does. This season in particular does not hold back, and it is honestly a rather unpleasant experience in some spots. But that’s the point, to show life’s highs and lows in the most poignant way it can.

The resolution to Anai’s arc was a bit weird. I didn’t think it was bad, just felt unlike the series to do a more traditional style of character development. I liked the stuff with Gori. More subdued (I didn’t get as angry) but still very effective. Really gets the constant uncertainties of life. I loved Ton’s speech to Retsuko towards the end. Life might not inherently have meaning, but that just means we can choose our own reasons to live. Our passions and institutions might be ultimately be meaningless to an uncaring universe, but that doesn’t mean they can’t have value to us.

Aikatsu Friends S2’s opening arc was good. The production was mostly solid, and the writing and performances were as good as ever. It introduced new characters and new themes, that the idea of fated relationships is shallow and that relationships are something you have to work on, and that being a leader does not mean being a martyr.

It was a risk pushing the beloved Diamond Friends to the physical comic relief roles, but it was worth it for Hibiki and Alicia’s character development. (It helps that PP’s comedic bits were hilarious and adorable.) I felt like Hikasa Youko was overacting a bit, but she nailed the moments she had to. I can’t reasonably expect the production to be super consistent (it is toy anime) but hopefully the writing can continue to be above average for a kids’ cartoon.

Sarazanmai is an ambitious, gorgeous, and thematically dense production. It has a lot of interesting themes about the difference between Love and Desire, how powerful connections are, how genuine connections are formed, how we are defined by and are responsible for the choices we make, and how hope and despair are a part of life.

Unfortunately, it loses me a bit narratively. It has so much goofy nonsense and repetition that it doesn’t have the emotional grounding needed to humanize its characters as well as it could have (for me, at least). They’re not unsympathetic, but I think I could’ve felt more for them if the storytelling was more straightforward, or if they had more episodes to flesh their stories out, and it missed me on a couple of its important emotional moments. It’s good, but it could’ve been better.

Carole and Tuesday was more problematic and less compelling than I expected. The show’s attitude towards the music industry’s artifice has been rather curmudgeonly and cynical, and its exploration of how art is created hasn’t been as interesting as the show’s earnest performances. The performances in this latest arc are world-class, but it’s also been a venue for indulging in a lot of hackneyed tropes.

The thing that gives me hope for the second half is Angela. She seems to be written as a counterpoint to the show’s general attitude. She is both completely prefabricated and also completely genuine, a fashion icon backed by dark money and computer-generated songs who nonetheless takes honest pride in her drive and talent, and who could never have made it this far without those personal qualities. Another good thing to come put of the Mars’ Brightest arc is also how it showed both the earnest joy and ugliness of fandom across its three leads. So perhaps it can have some more nuance to its themes. This has definitely been a weak arc, but hopefully we may be reaching the end of C&T’s struggles.

full

Star Twinkle Precure was uneven in the way you expect a kids’ cartoon to be. It has some jankier moments and some very simplistic episodes. but when it’s good, it’s good fun.

Senryuu Shoujo only had half-eps but it still ran long enough for me to get tired of it. Its gimmick was ultimately purely visual. Maybe it works better in print, but I don’t think it added that much on television. I initially didn’t mind the show leaning into its romantic coding more, but I got tired of their refusal to commit to it. Maybe this is a cultural thing, but I just don’t understand high-school boys who act like Eiji. It had plenty of cute and fun moments, but I might’ve liked it better without the romance.

Fruits Basket does not completely hold up. Once my nostalgia faded, it was mostly uninteresting and occasionally problematic. Even when it’s not bad, it feels dated in the way that many progenitors of storytelling tropes do. I understand the need to be faithful to its source material, but I’m not going to congratulate it for that. I used to love this series but I don’t think I will be watching more.

Kimetsu no Yaiba lowers the bar for shouen writing. The gorgeous effects and CG could not keep the constant exposition, clunky dialogue, and all the yelling from consistently breaking my immersion. It’s got a pretty simplistic, one-note, and obnoxious sense of humor, its characters gravitate towards a few specific archetypes, its plotting has no sense of momentum or coherent structure, its characters often speak in default shounen truisms that reflect nothing about their own personalities.

But the most frustrating part is that there’s a few points where this show could’ve had a big thematic idea that it could hang its identity on, the way MHA or Mob Psycho did, but it just doesn’t go for it. I don’t know if it’s a lack of confidence or not realizing the need for it, but its speeches to that effect never build towards any coherent, compelling message. KnY isn’t devoid of fun, but I feel like its writing is just too far below the level I need for particularly meaningful investment, especially with a number of interesting action titles coming this summer.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Non Non Biyori S2E1. Damn, this felt like a pretty different show all of a sudden. They leaned in hard on how important these small moments are to these characters, and it totally works.

full

Aikatsu Friends ep 63. So as soon as they get back to Japan, the show splits Alicia and PP up. I appreciate the show treating idol work like it’s a job, but they’re pushing the Diamonds Friends a bit too far to the sidelines.

At least PP had some good moments. I liked them nerding out over LMT legends. Even though PP have passed them, they’re still their idols. They were really cute during their radio show as well.

I liked how effortlessly Alicia was able to get attention and respect, and I also liked how respectable she was to everyone around her, even Coco. Japan clearly preparing their kids to show respect to their eventual AI overlords. I also liked how bad they were at keeping the fact that Alicia is a princess a secret. Mio and the engineers stressing about it was fun to watch. I also liked Karen alleviating Alicia’s concerns about people accepting her, and that she should just be herself.

Karen’s performance was awesome. Absolutely soul-healing.
Holofan4life
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

I II II L
I started watching Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu. It’s very good. It feels very realistic in how the main character struggles with making friends.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
It’s Premiere Week!

full

Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e aka To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts ep 1. I’m not familiar with the source material, but I feel like they covered a lot in this premiere. The stuff they sped through wasn’t particularly novel, so hopefully they’ll cover more interesting ideas going forward. Not a super compelling start but I’ll give it a chance.
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag-Bot
Well they don’t really look much like Humans in the first place, let alone getting to specific races.  
Barely any nose, massive eyes, no lips, etc~
Moving On
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

I’m glad that I finished MHA season 3 and 2 Heroes today. I’ll resume with Bleach tomorrow after watching the FMA movie and OVAs for the original and Brotherhood.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide