General Anime Thread

dt
Diamond Tiara's Diamond Tiara - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
The 1% - Uploaded 1% or more of the site's images
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Carole and Tuesday ep 13. New OP is good. Not quite as good as the first OP, but still good.

The second half starts with C&T dealing with their new popularity. This show going for more of an idol show route makes me wonder if they just abandoned their critique of the music industry? That’s probably a good thing, since it revealed itself to be kinda shallow anyway. I liked Angela’s frank attitude towards her rivals, contrasts their managers’ fake civility and humility. C&T using their encounter as a confidence boost was nice. I also liked the show making it clear that C&T have different ideas about what family means to them.

The political angle is a bit much. I don’t mind anime getting political on a thematic level, but the narrative similarities to current events hit too close to home. And I don’t love the team seeking out an eccentric “producer” outside the mainstream. This feels like a narrative turn from a fighting anime, like Deku meeting Gran Torino or something.

I was really hoping that the end of Mars’ Brightest arc meant the show would get away from hackneyed tropes, but it seems like it’s going to do more of the same. I don’t think this is a good sign for its second half.

full

Given ep 1. Hey, it’s more BL.

Like many good slice-of-life, not a lot actually happens here but there’s still a lot to pay attention to. This ep was very good at using visuals and music to convey the drama between its characters. The attention payed to how the lighting affects the mood is great for an otherwise modest production. And the music the characters play is pretty good. The animation was just okay, but you can still feel the band members feeding off of each other.

It’s super early, but I think it’s safe to assume there’s some attraction between the characters. There’s nothing more than that so far, but maybe they’ll turn it up as the story gets going, or maybe it’ll just be a slice-of-life band anime with some gay subtext. We’ll see.

full

Machikado Mazoku ep 1. Oh, I liked Gabriel Dropout.

This was a decent start. Got better after its leads met. I liked Yuko not hiding her demonic features, and her friends taking it in stride. Definitely benefits from a shotgun approach to comedy but, if it works, it works. This could be a lot of fun once it gets going.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Dr. Stone ep 2. Well, that was a fast turn.

This seems to be quickly turning into a faction war set in the Stone Age, but with the characters having modern-day sensibilities and ideologies. We’ll see how the show handles its physical and philosophical conflicts.

full

Joshikousei no Mudazukai ep 2. Everyone hates this show, but I think it’s funny enough. This eps gets away from the nihilism and obnoxiousness for a bit and has actually a decent moment of introspection for one of its characters.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Granbelm ep 2. The show got the robot stuff and lore out of the way last ep, and focused on character motivations this ep.

Mangetsu had been depressed for a long time due a lack of self-worth, and had been proactively doing menial tasks in a futile attempt to get others to value her. She’s drawn to Granbelm because it makes her feel special and valued. Shingetsu had been in this war long enough to knows Mangetsu won’t find what she’s looking for through it, and is trying to push her away from it. It’s a great dynamic.

It’s also interesting that Mangetsu’s depression is not brought on by abuse. Like, the show makes this very clear, explicitly pointing it out multiple times that nobody is hurting her. Instead, it’s like a formless sense of anxiety that’s harder to pin down and fix. It’s at least a little different from your usual sad backstory, (it’s not going the MSS route) while not feeling any less relatable.

This ep also had some really good gags (and lily imagery) mixed in with all the depressing stuff. This show is awesome.

full

O Maidens ep 2. Still great. I appreciate the show treating a character realizing they’re in love as this life-changing moment, and the show using the river to symbolize Kazusa’s confusion being swept away was great. And I don’t mind it happening this early, because I feel like this is heading towards a lot of heartbreak. Can’t wait.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Okaa-san Online ep 1. Hey, the mom isekai was actually pretty fun.

Little things made this start work for me. I liked the main guy explicitly talking about escaping his reality, and then that reality (i.e. his mother) following him. I liked the show not over-explaining things. I liked the show saying the players are just beta testers, and the world actually being broken in some spots. I liked the show treating the world like it’s just a video game, because it is.

I also like that they named the first area the Kingdom of Mommalia.

full

This might end up being inundated with the usual isekai crap, and the production might not hold up, but this gets at least a second ep.

full

Fire Force ep 2. It’s such a trip watching a shounen action anime done in this sort of direction and aesthetic. It’s certainly not unwelcome, I like it a lot better than Dr. Stone. The colors are the most striking visual aspect of this show, making the heroes look like the shining beacons they’re supposed to be.

I was quite impressed how well they were able to switch up how they handled this week’s Spontaneous Combustion. Not a big, bombastic action set-piece like last ep, but with a slower and much more melancholic scene. It’s nice to see the show can pull of both so well.

In terms of the writing, the most interesting part of the show so far has been the solemnity with which the fire fighters deal with the victims of the curse, and how the more experienced members teach the newbies what they’re job is really about and how to deal with the responsibilities placed on them, rather than teaching them how to fight.

There’s at least some trepidation as to how the adaptation is going to handle Tamaki’s introduction, but this show has been off to an excellent start.
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag-Bot
Do You Like Your Mom? Her Normal Attack is Two Attacks at Full Power  
I love how happy she is just for having the “You got an item!” music playing for her~

full
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
full

Symphogear XV ep 2. Yet another fantastic transformation scene. First interactions with the villains was fun. The choreography and performances continue to be outstanding. The art is a bit wonky in some spots, but it was great when it had to be. You can clearly see the fear, anger, and despair in Tsubasa’s face as her audience was getting massacred.

It’s quite encouraging that the production didn’t take a step back this ep, even though it probably could’ve gotten away with it. Objectively, this does kinda feel like it’s pandering, but this is exactly the kind of spectacle I want to see out of this show. Don’t drown me in lore, mechanics, or problematic ideologies. Just gimme more of this, Symphogear.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide