General Anime Thread

dt
Diamond Tiara's Diamond Tiara - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
The 1% - Uploaded 1% or more of the site's images
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
I wish I could not care. Really, I do. All this anger is just fucking killing me, not to mention getting me in trouble. And nothing positive ever happens because it. Nothing changes, nothing improves. But I can’t not care.

It’d be easier to just give up.

I wish I could.

I wish I could just give up.
Moving On
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Has anime become more difficult to watch than it used to be? It could be from the amount of episodes required to watch or it somehow comes out at a bad time for people.
Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
… It could be from the amount of episodes required to watch …

Urusei Yatsura: 374 chapters, 195 episodes, 6 theatrical films, and 12 OVAs.

Ranma 1/2: 18 episodes in it’s first incarnation, then 143 episodes in the main run, and 12 OVAs.

Escaflowne, Evangelion, Utena Revolutionary Girl … Sazae-san started in the 60’s and is still running, with more than 7,000 episodes, Legend of Galactic Heroes had 110 episodes - all of these are old (and some of them still running) anime from the or 90’s or 80’s or earlier with so many episodes that it makes Dragon Ball Z’s run look paltry by comparison.

Even El-Hazard and Tenchi Muyo had reasonably large numbers of episodes and OVAs or even theatrical movies (most of which were essential or at least canon to the plot). Getting through either of these old shows would take you the better part of a few hours a night for a couple of weeks.

No, I don’t think new anime has more episodes than the older shows. Most of them are even reasonably bingable compared to some of the old standards.

Watching new series just takes time. If you don’t have time, you don’t have time.
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
@JasonRatana  
It’s so hard to find anime that clicks with me nowadays. So many things just don’t appeal to the sense of childlike wonder that I still retain for many years. Kids nowadays are very different to what kid me liked, and my taste never grew out of it.

Eizouken is currently my top anime at the moment but it’s not like I watched a lot. I ignore anything that involves harem, generic isekai MC, cute girls doing cute things, ow-the-edge MCs, pure NSF-children “not hentai” and a whole lot more. But that’s what appeal to the masses nowadays, so I’m a minority.
Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -

Looking For My Doctor
@Scrabbleman  
Where do you access Eizouken?

I haven’t see that one.

For shows that used to click with you, what were your favorites?

Mine were BubbleGum Crisis, PatLabor, Utena, El-Hazard .. those are the ones that I still keep going back to.
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
@Derpy Whooves  
Oh wow, I have only watched one of those really. Also, I just watch the streams online. I know, piracy and all that but that’s how it’s always been for me.

Doraemon was my very first anime and something I enjoyed immensely. I still watch the movies from time to time, and definitely an example of a show that plays with childlike wonder to the best of its ability. It’s even the first manga I ever bought, and I still have it for almost two decades later.

Digimon is a franchise but I grew up with it so it’s a given. I love the anime more than Pokémon and its movies are still the best. It strikes the awesomeness of having your own super-powered partner, and the scariness of it all. Some of them are so absurdly powerful, you start wondering why people even care about Pokémon.

Azumanga Daioh is technically an anime about cute girls doing cute things, but what kept bringing me back is the absurd comedy behind it. The same also appeals to Nichijou, which is even more absurd and memorable. The unique comedy, lightheartedness and absurdity of it all are what makes what is usually something I dislike, something fun.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica has to be one of the best anime to ever exist. It’s dark but not brutal, depressing but not sad, it is action with meaning and imagery with stories. Tragedy but with a hint of hope. There’s a lot to unpack from this show, and no other copycat show has gotten close to its level.

Houseki No Kuni is tragedy at its finest. When you believe there’s hope to the characters, it easily swipes it away and the feeling is euphoric. There’s a lot of symbolism and imagery going on, and the characters are surprisingly complex despite being able to describe them in two sentences. It juggles with +30 characters at once and all of them are somehow unique. Definitely a favourite.
Random-Rambling
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
I don’t have anything confirming that, but that’s what a ton of people on Reddit and MyAnimeList have been saying, and where there’s smoke there’s fire.

Not really a good representation, since the Anime Reddit community proudly call themselves “degenerates” and tend to skew towards ecchi and hentai due to being horny twenty- and thirty-somethings.
Random-Rambling
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

tinyurl.com/dymbb3a
@dt  
I wish I could not care. Really, I do. All this anger is just fucking killing me, not to mention getting me in trouble. And nothing positive ever happens because it. Nothing changes, nothing improves. But I can’t not care.
It’d be easier to just give up.
I wish I could.
I wish I could just give up.

@dt  
Anti-intellectualism always wins. Always.

You and HoloFan just have very clashing ideas of anime.
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 150 uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
Just started Dorohedoro ep 4, and I had to pause to check the manga for a comparison.

Why does this Netflix anime chose to censor itself? I don’t watch a lot of Netflix, but I’ve seen enough to get the impression they don’t have a problem with nudity and sex in live-action. But in a cartoon, and one that is definitely rated at least MA for other reasons, bare nipples is too much?
dt
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Since the Beginning  -

No Thank You
@DeathCloud  
Yeah, but it’s Netflix. I get HIDIVE censoring Kase’s tits, for example. But one of the supposed advantages of Netflix is the freedom animators would get.

It’s a small detail and doesn’t actually affect the show, I was just surprised they couldn’t get away with that on Netflix, of all places.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide