Viewing last 25 versions of post by ghostfacekiller39 in topic General Anime Thread

ghostfacekiller39
Duck - Bona fide shitposter - ignore or report

Sunny Day Realtor
"[@HeadlessHorselessHorseman":](/forums/generals/topics/general-anime-thread?post_id=5104827#post_5104827
[bq="HeadlessHorselessHorseman"]
)  

>
As someone who's very ignorant of the medium, is limited animation pretty ubiquitous in anime? Are there any exceptions?

>
>
I ask because I think fighting anime can suffer from trying to translate fluid movements to the screen. Personally, I thought the cutscenes in video games like Dragon Ball Z: Budokai captured the feel of the manga's action in a way the DBZ anime, for all its strengths, never could. [/bq]

Short answer: Yes. It doesn't depend. It really is a ubiquitous thing.

Long answer: Movies can and will often be an exception. The general rule of thumb is that if it's a tv anime or OVA/ONA, yes. That entire side of the medium is built around budget-cutting techniques and trying to get into it for animation and movement is probably the worst way to look at it, since it was never meant to be a strength. Even shows people point to as examples of very well animated TV anime - like One Punch Man - have hordes of moments entirely done with limited animation, with the really high effort moments sparsed throughout. People tend to remember the much more impactful really well-done moments and forget the more stiff ones.

Anime is expensive to make and doesn't tend to turn a fast profit, man. Especially when you consider everything runs under a production committee model these days, budget-cutting techniques are a necessity for it to continue to survive and prosper. The response has been a de-emphasis on animation and a greater focus on narrative concepts and character appeal.

Personally, I don't mind this model. It means more stuff for everyone and most people who get into TV anime start to tolerate the limited animation really quickly. It's not the appeal. If you want anime with more fluid animation, anime movies got ya covered anyway. Not just Ghibli, either, but the whole playing field.

----

Also, don't confuse filters with animated movement. People tend to conflate that with TV anime for some reason, and that's the calling card of studios like Ufotable (Demon Slayer, Fate/Zero, etc.)

Ufotable has never had exceptional animation, especially not consistently. They have consistently drenched their series in aesthetic accessories to make it appear more distinct and stylish. That's a fair and fine approach, mind you, and Ufo does that in a way that's genuinely well put together - but it's just not really animation in the sense of limited versus fluid.
No reason given
Edited by ghostfacekiller39
ghostfacekiller39

Sunny Day Realtor
"@HeadlessHorselessHorseman":/forums/generals/topics/general-anime-thread?post_id=5104827#post_5104827
[bq="HeadlessHorselessHorseman"] As someone who's very ignorant of the medium, is limited animation pretty ubiquitous in anime? Are there any exceptions?

I ask because I think fighting anime can suffer from trying to translate fluid movements to the screen. Personally, I thought the cutscenes in video games like Dragon Ball Z: Budokai captured the feel of the manga's action in a way the DBZ anime, for all its strengths, never could. [/bq]

Long answer: Movies can and will often be an exception. The general rule of thumb is that if it's a tv anime or OVA/ONA, yes. That entire side of the medium is built around budget-cutting techniques and trying to get into it for animation and movement is probably the worst way to look at it, since it was never meant to be a strength. Even shows people point to as examples of very well animated TV anime - like One Punch Man - have hordes of moments entirely done with limited animation, with the really high effort moments sparsed throughout. People tend to remember the much more impactful really well-done moments and forget the more stiff ones.

Anime is expensive to make and doesn't tend to turn a fast profit, man. Especially when you consider everything runs under a production committee model, budget-cutting techniques are a necessity for it to continue to survive and prosper. The response has been a de-emphasis on animation and a greater focus on narrative concepts and character appeal.

Personally, I don't mind this model. It means more stuff for everyone and most people who get into TV anime start to tolerate the limited animation really quickly. It's not the appeal. If you want anime with more fluid animation, anime movies got ya covered anyway. Not just Ghibli, either, but the whole playing field.

----

Also, don't confuse filters with animated movement. People tend to conflate that with TV anime for some reason, and that's the calling card of studios like Ufotable (Demon Slayer, Fate/Zero, etc.)

Ufotable has never had exceptional animation, especially not consistently. They have consistently drenched their series in aesthetic accessories to make it appear more distinct and stylish. That's a fair and fine approach, mind you, and Ufo does that in a way that's genuinely well put together - but it's just not really animation in the sense of limited versus fluid.
No reason given
ghostfacekiller39

Sunny Day Realtor
"@HeadlessHorselessHorseman":/forums/generals/topics/general-anime-thread?post_id=5104827#post_5104827
[bq="HeadlessHorselessHorseman"] As someone who's very ignorant of the medium, is limited animation pretty ubiquitous in anime? Are there any exceptions?

Short answer: Yes. It doesn't depend. It really is an ubiquitous thing.

Anime is expensive to make and doesn't tend to turn a fast profit, man. Especially when you consider everything runs under a production committee model, budget-cutting techniques are a necessity for it to continue to survive and prosper. The response has been a de-emphasis on animation and a greater focus on narrative concepts and character appeal.

----

Ufotable has never had exceptional animation, especially not consistently. They have consistently drenched their series in aesthetic accessories to make it appear more distinct and stylish. That's a fair and fine approach, mind you, but it's not really animation in the sense of limited versus fluid.
No reason given
ghostfacekiller39

Sunny Day Realtor

Short answer: Yes. It doesn't depend. It really is an ubiquitous thing.

----

Ufotable has never had exceptional animation, especially not consistently. They have consistently drenched their series in aesthetic accessories to make it appear more distinct and stylish. That's a fair and fine approach, mind you, but it's not really animation in the sense of limited versus fluid.
No reason given
ghostfacekiller39

Sunny Day Realtor

----

No reason given
ghostfacekiller39

Sunny Day Realtor

----

Also, don't confuse filters with animated movement. People tend to conflate that with TV anime for some reason, and that's the calling card of studios like Ufotable.

No reason given
ghostfacekiller39

Sunny Day Realtor

Long answer: Movies can and will often be an exception. The general rule of thumb is that if it's a tv anime or OVA/ONA, yes. That entire side of the medium is built around budget-cutting techniques and trying to get into it for animation and movement is probably the worst way to look at it, since it was never meant to be a strength. Even shows people point to as examples of very well animated TV anime - like One Punch Man - have hordes of moments entirely done with limited animation, with the really high effort moments sparsed throughout. People tend to remember the much more impactful really well-done moments and ignforget the more stiff ones.

No reason given
ghostfacekiller39

Sunny Day Realtor

Long answer: Movies can and will often be an exception. The general rule of thumb is that if it's a tv anime or OVA/ONA, yes. That entire side of the medium is built around budget-cutting techniques and trying to get into it for animation and movement is probably the worst way to look at it, since it was never meant to be a strength. Even shows people point to as examples of very well animated TV anime - like One Punch Man - have hordes of moments entirely done with limited animation, with the really high effort moments sparsed throughout. People tend to remember the much more impactful really well-done moments and ignore the more stiff ones.

No reason given
ghostfacekiller39

Sunny Day Realtor

Long answer: Movies can and will often be an exception. The general rule of thumb is that if it's a tv anime or OVA/ONA, yes. Theat entire side of the medium is built around budget-cutting techniques and trying to get into it for animation and movement is probably the worst way to look at it, since it was never meant to be a strength. Even shows people point to as examples of very well animated TV anime - like One Punch Man - have hordes of moments entirely done with limited animation, with the really high effort moments sparsed throughout.

No reason given