Ducktales (2017) Thread

Background Pony #5693
Thoughts on “Terror of the Terra-firmians!”:

Best episode since the pilot, IMHO, but even so there’s a few nagging issues. The most obvious is Launchpad being as dumb as a sack of hammers; he wasn’t the brightest bulb in the room in the original series, but he was at least a functioning adult. More subtly, Huey was treading near idiot-ball territory, with his dependence on the Guidebook and his reluctance to leave the light even though staying there meant certain death; I get what they were trying to do, but it felt like they laid it on a bit very thick. And getting to the point where it’s virtually nitpicking but still annoying: As uber-competent as Mrs. Beakley is, she couldn’t see and use the crowbar that Lena found lying just a few feet away? None of these complaints are major, of course, but it’s starting to feel like Ducktales is a very good series held back from being great because of minor details like these.

Still, as I mentioned at the start, on the whole this was an excellent episode, with some well-timed action and suspense, as well as some great character interactions. Although, if I’m being honest, I have to say the episode was pretty much stolen by Louie, even though he had the least at stake and the least to do.
WM-R
Speaking Fancy - For helping with translations

@Background Pony #9C0F

Yeah, Louie was fun in this one, though I also enjoyed Launchpad’s interactions with Dewey. Like the bit where Dewey catches on, and he just smirks before confronting Launchpad.

Also, while I got what they were doing with Huey, at times he almost seemed like Dipper-lite.
Background Pony #7721
Now that we’re 5 episodes in, it’s time to rate it. What do you think of the show so far? Does it live up to the 1987 cartoon?
Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@Background Pony #256D  
Worse in most ways but watchable. Think old Teen Titans and Go.  
But people will always worship the newest thing.

Flash animation clearly made to lower costs. (This isn’t a classic Disney cartoon project. This is an experiment by Disney for a budget cartoon series project.)  
Yes one or two scenes in the pilot, like the dragon, tried to push this to convince you it can still be impressive, didn’t really happen since, but compare the animation of any ep in the old one. Not even a contest.

Story-wise, this one’s trying to run GF-style on silly jokes, memes, references. It relies on Informed Coolness (characters saying how cool the show is) a bit too much. Characters are really more like parodies of something? and always attempting to be self-aware rather than believable. It’s like an endless LOLMEMES LOLSTEREOTYPES.

I don’t hate it but:  
Before it started to air I watched the Micro Ducks from Outer Space episode from the old show which used to be one of my faves. There’s just so much stuff in it: how they play with the shrinking+survival plot of that ep; Scrooge being (grand)fatherly to Webby; Scrooge’s financial troubles (always loved when the old cartoons/show ddin’t shy away from dealing with actual problems of running a business).  
I feel like the new show tries to give Strong Cool Characters but makes them less relatable and believable as real kids in the process.  
Have we even SEEN the Junior Woodchucks in this iteration? See in the old show they did all these normal kid activities.  
Well, I guess they go to arcades…So that’s a thing…

The villains are waay more cartoony. They just make a joke out of not introducing them properly too. Glomgold used to feel like a threat and Ma was a cunning leader. Here? Buffoons.

Gyro and Gizmo Duck. The “blatherskite” codeword had a story in the original. What’s the point of introducing it again if you’re gonna drop that story anyway? Making it Gyro’s sketchphrase instead of Fenton’s was a nice continuity nod but “Project Blatherskite”? Why’d you name a project after a curseword? See, that’s the point where the story’s just continuity nod instead of trying to be its own thing.

So yeah, I have many issues with this show, it tries to be too funny and to the deterrence of plot, it tries to be Totally Radical and zeitgeist-y when it should just let its characters do normal things.  
But it does have its good points! It’s just not as good as the old one.

Well you did ask.

I do enjoy the new female character. The mole-who’ll-obviously-turn part is lame but that aside, she may have the coolest personality of the cast yet. Her lines from the last ep were the first time I genuinely liked some retorts from a character on this show.
Prof.NightJack
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Gizmonics Scientist
Think old Teen Titans and Go.  
This is nothing like that, don’‘t shit on a good show by comparing it to Go.  
Good old show vs bad new show isn’t the same as a good old show vs good new show.

>But people will always worship the newest thing.  
Or maybe they think it is better, not because it is new but for other things.
Anonycat
Duck - "her mere existence is enough to put me in a quack mood, I might as well return the favor by quacking it around"
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -

Okay, I guess.
@Vree  
>But people will always worship the newest thing.

I don’t see much people worshipping Go over the original Teen Titans, and same goes to NuPPG over the original one.
lasty

dead to you
@Dirty Bit  
If nothing else, I’ve gotta respect that he gave as good a performance as he did in that costume, make-up and I believe posture.

@Prof.NightJack  
I’m gonna guess ‘stuck in development hell (insert joke here), eventually made, it’s okay and in a few years, Todd McFarlane says he isn’t happy with it’.
WM-R

Now that we’re 5 episodes in, it’s time to rate it. What do you think of the show so far? Does it live up to the 1987 cartoon?

As much as I love the 1987 cartoon, I’d say this one is better. I appreciate having an underlying storyline, and I like the new characterisations.

But most importantly, I’m actually enjoying the series so far. Other remakes, reboots and sequels these past few years have been awful.

Teen Titans Go got a laugh out of me once or twice, but when I realised it was nothing but stupid, mean-spirtited ‘jokes’ I lost interest. Powerpuff Girls 2016 can’t hold a candle against the original. The girls seem weaker and dumber, the new villains don’t have the charm of the originals, and overall the stories just seem less exciting. I hate Transformers Robots in Disguise for squandering a lot of leftover elements from Transformers Prime. Ben 10 2016 was probably the best of the lot due to actually getting me to laugh quite a bit (and superior to some of Ben 10’s own sequels).

Ducktales 2017? I’ve genuinely enjoyed every episode so far. Yes, some were weaker than others, but I never fail to laugh and I always walk away feeling, “Wow, that was fun.”
Dirty Bit
Thread Starter - Hazbin Hotel Thread [Possible NSFW/Dark]
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

That's him, officer
As much as I love the 1987 cartoon, I’d say this one is better. I appreciate having an underlying storyline, and I like the new characterisations.
But most importantly, I’m actually enjoying the series so far. Other remakes, reboots and sequels these past few years have been awful.
Teen Titans Go got a laugh out of me once or twice, but when I realised it was nothing but stupid, mean-spirtited ‘jokes’ I lost interest. Powerpuff Girls 2016 can’t hold a candle against the original. The girls seem weaker and dumber, the new villains don’t have the charm of the originals, and overall the stories just seem less exciting. I hate Transformers Robots in Disguise for squandering a lot of leftover elements from Transformers Prime. Ben 10 2016 was probably the best of the lot due to actually getting me to laugh quite a bit (and superior to some of Ben 10’s own sequels).
Ducktales 2017? I’ve genuinely enjoyed every episode so far. Yes, some were weaker than others, but I never fail to laugh and I always walk away feeling, “Wow, that was fun.”

This, save for the Ben 10 part. Hate that reboot; should’ve stopped after Alien Force/Ultimate Alien.
WM-R

@Dirty Bit

I never said the Ben 10 reboot was ‘good’, I said at least I enjoyed it. Walking away from Teen Titans Go, NuPPG or Robots in Disguise makes me angry, at least the Ben 10 reboot is good for a laugh or two.

Personally I feel they should’ve quit after the original series. Alien Force had so many issues I never wanted to watch the sequels.

Back to Ducktales 2017, my only fear is that they might make a change I completely disagree with. For example, if it turns out Darkwing Duck is Webby’s actual father (and Mrs Beakly’s son-in-law) who abandoned her for some reason and that’s why Beakly was so adamant Webby never leave the mansion. If such a thing happened, I have no idea how I’d take that.
WM-R

@Dirty Bit

In the original Darkwing Duck, Darkwing adopted Gosalyn (and it’s sometimes hinted he only came up with his secret identity to give her some semblance of a normal life), so no blood-relation.

Though now that you mention it, you could probably get some drama over Webby being hurt that Darkwing abandoned her, but adopted some other kid, or Gosalyn wondering if Darkwing took her in to replace Webby.

Okay, maybe Darkwing as Webby’s father wasn’t that good an example of a weird change. What if he’d turned out to be Della’s husband (and the triplets’ dad) instead? That’d be crazy.
Dirty Bit
Thread Starter - Hazbin Hotel Thread [Possible NSFW/Dark]
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

That's him, officer
@WM-R

…That would be crazy. Then again, there’s the matter of Launchpad and his involvement with both Scrooge McDuck and Darkwing Duck as far as both original shows.
WM-R

@Prof.NightJack

Yeah, when Fenton showed up in Darkwing Duck during one of Gizmoduck’s guest appearances, Launchpad mentioned, “He and I used to work for the same guy.” It was such a jarring line I still remember it years later.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide