Cooking thread

ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Pomegranates :P
@SquiggyBomb  
Crawfish boil. An iconic Cajun dish.  
I heard alligator meat is a specialty in Louisiana. According to my dad, who has basically eaten a ton of things in his past. He say it tastes like chicken meat. I guess it’s more evidence that birds are closely related to reptiles.
ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@SquiggyBomb  
From what I read in history, they were “trash food”, along with oysters. It’s funny how so many peasant dishes for low class citizens in the past, have become luxury foods, now served in upscale restaurants.

Many Cajun dishes look similar to Cantonese dishes, despite having different histories and backgrounds. Wide range of ingredients, rice, similar climates, and a heavy utilization of seafood.
AaronMk
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab

Sky funeral
@SquiggyBomb
From what I read in history, they were “trash food”, along with oysters. It’s funny how so many peasant dishes for low class citizens in the past, have become luxury foods, now served in upscale restaurants.
Many Cajun dishes look similar to Cantonese dishes, despite having different histories and backgrounds. Wide range of ingredients, rice, similar climates, and a heavy utilization of seafood.

Rice is a pretty universal food by and far, like wheat. Africa is another major continent where cultures have been cultivating rice for a long-ass time. And it’s been known to Europeans since at least the first century AD, given it had migrated north to Egypt with trade up and down the Nile no doubt. As well, Alexander’s men had brought back rice from Pakistan and India on return from his campaigns in Egypt.

The Moors introduced Spain to rice, and from there rice jumped to the Americas where in integrated itself into American dishes (Mexican food is the most famous example). So the use of rice in Latin dishes and Cajun is a side-effect of Spanish influence on the region more than anything.

There’s a more complex relationship in regards to then colonial trade in the 17th century. But that’s the basic gist of how rice got to the Americas. On a more detailed level rice that got grown in places like the Carolinas came from Madagascar and the old slave plantations of the deep south sometimes grew rice from Africa.

On that related note, I tried my hand at Cajun cooking after I came back from New Orleans. My very white version of Blackened Cat Fish:

full

It wasn’t that difficult to make. All I need to do next time is change one thing to maybe get it closer to how it should be.
ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ

@AaronMk  
The Paella and Fried Rice look so similar, and their preparations are almost the same. Is it possible the both dishes have some sort of connection?

In Northern China, particularly in the Shaanxi and Manchurian region. Wheat is the staple grain, not rice. Shaanxi province is famous for their noodles. Manchurian cuisine bears heavy Russian influence.
AaronMk
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Sky funeral
@SeraphimDawn

Is beer brewed in the same traditional way in two parts of the world connected? Probably not, over time a certain number of ways to prepare rice would be settled upon and stick. There’s only so many ways you can mill a grain.

And I guess when rice is as labor intensive as it can be, you’re not spending that much time on making your rice different as much as you are making it edible.
ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ

@AaronMk  
Not to mention the amount of water and land it consumes.  
But wasn’t wheat native to the Fertile Crescent, Middle East? The first grain crops cultivates in China were millets, not rice, not wheat. Millets were cultivated by the Peiligang and then the Yanshao culture, predating the supposed Xia Dynasty. Wheat did not come to China until about 2000BCE. Corn and chili were cultivated in the Americas long many other crops became domesticated.

So, who invented pasta/noodles?
AaronMk
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Sky funeral
@SeraphimDawn

Pasta as the Italian dish was first mentioned by name by Sicilians. But descriptions of a noodle like pasta goes as far back as the poems by a Roman named Horace in the first century BC.
AaronMk
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Sky funeral
As I’ve read.

Anyways, it’d seem that now-a-days there’s talk coming around that if you are to shop around for Italian wines that the Tuscan and Piedmontian wines are popular enough to be a cliche, and doing a disservice to the type of wines elsewhere in Italy. In particularly those of Sicily, which is having a wine rebirth.

Personally, I have not made my way to wine. So whatever.
ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ

Budae Jjigae recipe.  
AKA, Army Base Stew.

This one has an interesting story. Originated from the Korean War, it was made b starving Koreans who used whatever the GIs left behind in the American army bases that scattered the land. From wieners, cabbages, and Spam, later, instant ramen, which was introduced from Japan. The stew has since become popular in Korea, and in Korean diaspora.  
full
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide