Cartoon/Western Animation General

Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

@Dex Stewart
It’s really a shame that it’s the way it is now. Back then, no one care who voiced a character - but now you’re forced to in a field that literally just vocal, now the race of the actor matters more then the performance. Sometimes they even admit to not even acting and just play themselves even admitting to being type-casted and tokenized.
Once was a good way of expression is now just:
Corporate overlord: De blacks play de blacks! And Da gays play da gays! Vocal performances shale be this way for the foreseeable future.
Totally not racists: Yes! YES!! This is how it should be! This is so progressive! Thanks you so much corporate overlords! I’m #LiterallyCrying!!
It’s sad really.
Angrybrony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -

🔥Sunset is best girl🔥
what’s wrong with wanting to get more people into va work then so you can have more (metaphorical) voices for under repted groups?
Lord WyrmSpawN
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Lingering Wyvern
@Angrybrony
Because more people is not the problem, its arbitrary restrictions on what roles they can play.
And not everyone has to be represented, that’s not what the job is for.
Take that up with character designers and writers, not the voice talent.
Unless you sincerely think we need more people with natural lisps or something.
TheDog
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Howdy 4 All
Alright, then tell that to Phil Lamarr, James Avery, Kevin Michael Richardson, etc. All are black men who played Japanese characters.
Or does it only “mater” when it’s white people getting screwed over for roles?
Cyborg_pony

@TheDog
Imagine Neil Patrick Harris being denied roles because he was gay and was playing straight characters and vice-verse. It appears Some people in this thread seem that’s a good idea to “Stay in your own lane” principals that modern Hollywood and such want to take. Unless it is just a means to deny actors an equal chance at role base on arbitrary features they were born with.
Pretty much being bigoted.
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!

Far less yikesy seeing the actual statement. She does just think an Asian American actor has some general quality that would fit Jubilee. Hopefully it’s not limited to exclusively Asian VA’s, and they ultimately choose the best for for the role.
Twi Clown
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Übermensch in training
Casting like that is an easy way to say: “I dont care about talent or skill.”
When it comes to voice acting, what should matter is having the voice to dub a character.
Otherwise, is just simply caring far more about race rather than talent.
TheDog
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Howdy 4 All
And your comments are disregarded because you have shown yourself incapable of discussing something without delving into attacks and insults because someone has a differing opinion from yourself.
Cyborg_pony

@Dex Stewart
To me seeing stuff like this before; It still just screams “PLEASE DON’T GET MAD A ME! I DON’T WANT TO PLAY THE ROLE ANYMORE!” Which then as a means of being Hip with the times. They hire someone with a very thick accent and reduce her character to stereotypical traits like eating noodles with chopsticks.
I bet anyone saying this should happen don’t even know what her Asian decent is. I’m honest, I don’t because I shouldn’t have to. It’s obvious she was raised in America and was more to the culture late 80’d early 90’s. Which was the reason for her creation. She was a 90’s kid meant to be the audience to introduce to the X-men. Her being Asian didn’t matter at all, her parents could have come from anywhere. (It shows with the comics since they have no idea what the hell to do with her, they made her a vampire for a bit.)
Same could be said for Spyke from Evolution. Even though they all kind of aged down characters, he was fairly new. He had that early 00’s Xtreme kind of attitude with being a skateboarder and he had a lot of growth in the show that was natural. Along with Kitty, Kurt and Rogue their friendship and comradery felt organic as far as teenagers go, where there was some bickering I haven’t seen it in a very long time, but they did to impulsive things.
All this talk just makes me want to go watch them.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Angrybrony
I understand trying to help minority voice actors get more gigs, but the problem is, if that standard is implimented it has to go both ways. (As it would biased not to.) They can only voice characters their “own race,” which limits their roles.
Like Samurai Jack, and the Shredder (TMNT) are two Asian characters, whom are usually voiced by black actors. If the rule that only a person the same “race” as the character, then that means these people that “rule” are trying to “help” are out of a job, and are limited to only “black” characters.
It also means Asian-American actors are limited to only “Asian” characters too.
I also want to state the irony that a few people don’t want Chris Pratt to voice Mario in the upcoming Mario movie, because he’s not Italian, because neither is Charles Martinet. (French/Canadian.)
Are we seriously going to get to the point casting agents have to dig into actors’ family ancestry to ensure they’re the “correct ancestry” to voice a character?
It honestly limits the roles for voice actors.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Dex Stewart
Mine too. Sadly, both he and Walker Boone passed.
Harvey Atkin was the best Bowser Koopa too. (Yes, it’s confirmed that was Bowser. Like with Robotnik, he had a different design in the cartoon, because Nintendo had several different designs of him it was based off of. Like the “moose” snout came from the Japanese boxart of SMB.)
ElderD

Someone mentioned Cree Summer a few posts back and I was reminded of something relating to the voice role topic. Didn’t she also voice Kida from Atlantis: the Lost Empire? Even though Cree is not Atlantean. Yes, I know it’s a fictional race, but still…
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
out of all the complaint’s i’ve seen about chris voicing mario, none of them have been about him ot being Italian.
they’ve either been about how they think he’s a weird/bad choice for the role, or becuase Mario’s original voice actors is still around and voicing him, and having him appear in a Mario movie and not voice Mario comes of as a shitty move
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide