Cartoon/Western Animation General

Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Hollowfox Jaeger
I tried really hard not to bully Kevin Smith, Bear McCreary or anyone involved in Revelation. When I say they did a bad job, I’m assuming they may have had mandates in place that hindered them. Even if they didn’t, it’s their own creative choice. Lying about the show was definitely wrong, choices they continue to make with Revelation is wrong. The bizarre naivete of the media regarding the show is absolutely frustrating and maybe some fans got too heated. I’m still entitled to my opinion that the show had little redeeming value and was a massive waste of time.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Dex Stewart
Yeah, only good things were the animation/art, and Mark Hamil as Skeletor.
@Hollowfox Jaeger
I think you need to learn the difference between “bullying,” and “criticism.”
Also, there are cases of the show-runners “bullying fans.” So the reverse happens too. That is partly why the controversial Ghostbusters 2016 movie bombed, because people didn’t like the people behind it insulting fans.
Also, people didn’t like it’s humor style, lack of the horror aspect the original had, and such. Not because the main characters were female. (I haven’t seen it, so I can’t judge it.)
So critical fans were also annoyed they tried to hide the movie behind a gender shield to try to deflect criticism.
If most hated female characters, then most critics of Rey Skywalker wouldn’t be Princess Leia fans.
(And I don’t hate the sequel trilogy, I can understand why some criticize it.)
And there are plenty of franchises with strong female characters that people love. (Alien, Terminator, Wonder Woman, numerous animes.) So I don’t think gender is solely the issue with reboots, but how badly they handle female representation.
Hollowfox, Always The Worst Person
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Est. 2012
@Beau Skunky
Then why the “woke” paranoia towards women in recent media, which kept the gender wars going? (E.g. Captain Marvel, Birds of Prey, Charlie’s Angels, Terminator Dark Fate, Batwoman, High Guardian Spice)
Also, do you think fans are superior to creators?
And another thing, I don’t think Calling someone a liar or an egotistical person is criticism. Not being good with it or having terrible things that the crew did, yes.
If Marcy dies in Amphibia when the show ends, I would be sad but I’m not gonna dox or give death threats to Matt Braly. Fuck no. I’m not like those toxic He-Man fanboys who want Kevin Smith dead for lying about Revelations.
Dex Stewart
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Beau Skunky
I didn’t like Mark Hamil as Skeletor. He’s passable, but definitely my 2nd least favorite. Tony Todd as Scare Glow is the only VA I can say I genuinely liked. Literally no one else was beyond passable for me. I love Yuri Lowenthall in the cgi series, where he’s allowed to express more energy.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Hollowfox Jaeger
It’s not the gender of the character that bothers most, it’s how badly they handle the female representation.
Such as say killing off He-Man, if they replaced him with a male character, people probably wouldn’t be keen on that either.
Also, some didn’t like Teela’s personality change, being angry at Adam, (after his sacrifice) and such which doesn’t make her a “strong” female character, it made her look entitled, and selfish. Made her weakee actually.
Not all fans are calling them that, and in Smith’s case he was a liar.
They don’t all want him dead, and if Smith didn’t lie, maybe there would be less backlash.
I don’t deny toxic fans exist, but all I’m saying is NOT every fan critical of a reboot is toxic fan, like the media portrays.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
And besides, I wish people would let creators do what they want, make their own spin regardless of how good or bad it turns out.
Nothing should be the same as y’all remember.
Creators can do what they want, but they have to do something a certain way if they want a success. They have to balance modernization, changes, with keeping some things similar, and such too when rebooting a property.
And if people just let them do whatever they want without criticism, how can they improve? Like say the Sonic movie design. If they didn’t change it, it would of failed. Even casual non-fan movie goers didn’t like the original Sonic movie design.
I do agree with the second part, some changes can be good. Like I enjoyed changes in the 2012 Ninja Turtles.
But not all changes are good either.
People are free to like or dislike changes too.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Dex Stewart
I’m not familar with the old series, (it was kinda before my time) but after researching it, I can understand why the reboot is disliked.
Plus some things like Triclops running a cult, and talking like a televangalist just look silly.
Some reboots can be good, some can be bad. I’m not against all reboots, as I loved the 2012 TMNT one, and of course MLP:FIM.
I even enjoyed the recent TMNT movies despite their flaws.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
Until just now I always thought that We’re Back, A Dinosaurs Story was a Don Bluth film.
It has such a, Bluthia, art style.
Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

So where are they going to find a 5’3” roughneck Canadian, metal skeleton spec ops, berserker WWII and Vietnam war vet?
Like I predicted: Already has the CURRENT YEAR Stink upon it with segregationist casting to avoid the Sentinels of Twitter.
Dex Stewart
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@northern haste
It’s a racist trend. Casting based solely on race is racist.
There are times when a specific race or ethnicity is looked to for a part, because of common vocal qualities, that’s one thing. Recasting to match the character’s race or ethnicity implies race or ethnicity is more important than talent or the right person who fits the role.
Maybe Alyson Court thinks an Asian American has certain vocal qualities that will improve the performance, but more likely it’s just Twitter brainwashing people with it’s backwards progessiveness.
Storytime: Turok: Son of Stone was a movie based on a comic about two native American men who were trapped in a world of dinosaurs and strange primitive humans. From the start they wanted to cast actual Native American voice actors. A few major characters were also voiced by white and black actors, even though their characters were still native American. Their voices fit the characters, and race didn’t ultimately matter because it’s a voice and not a physical appearance.
The YouTube channel Spilling the Milk recently did a video on the Ghost Stories anime and assumed the voice of the cat was black. Turns out it was a white man who happened to have vocal qualities similar to a black man.
The thing that really irritates me is the long running shows that suddenly decide to recast based on race or ethnicity. Family Guy’s Mike Henry stepped down as Cleveland, and insisted they recast the character with a black voice actor. Okay. Is he going to go back and reloop all of the character’s dialogue from every old episode? What about The Cleveland Show? The Simpsons also did this, replacing their minority chatacter’s voice actors with voice actors matching their race. An article followed with the headline: “It’s Uncanny! I Couldn’t Tell the Difference!” Because it’s a VOICE, not a physical appearance.
Cree Summer said once that one of the freedoms of voice acting is there are no limits, you can be anyone, the black girl, the white girl, the white boy. If this trend continues it will only serve to water down the talent we hear in animation. Casting will be based solely on race, and people who are right for the part will be ignored, simply because of their race.
There’s an old story related to this, in the cartoon Super Dave, an Asian character was voiced by an Asian man. Viewers were shocked and offended at his stereotypically Japanese accented voice. It was a voice that wouldn’t sound out of place in a forties anti-Japanese cartoon. The voice actor went back and relooped his dialogue in a more charming cartoony voice. It turned out he was right for the part, just not the offensive voice he was able to do.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide