Cartoon/Western Animation General

Holofan4life
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

I II II L
Anyone else find it amusing one of the main characters in She-ra: Princesses of Power is named Bow when the voice actor for Bow stars in a show called Blackish where his mother’s name is Rainbow and other characters refer to her as Bow?
Holofan4life
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - The best thing about being an anime mod is you get to eat babies for free
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

I II II L
So, I’ve finally completed all seasons of She-ra: Princesses of Power. And I want to share my thoughts.

First off, I feel like most shows with an ensemble cast struggle maintaining an interesting main character. It feels when there are a ton of characters on screen, the main character falls to the wayside. But I actually thought Adora was a fully realized character. I think the show did a good job of characterizing Adora and making her interesting. So, I give major props to the show for that.

I think the best thing about the show is its portrayal of mental health issues. Whether it be Gimmer and her insecurities, or Entrapta and her inability to respond to social cues, or Catra and her abandonment issues, the show does a good job at showing what it’s like to deal with mental health problems. I wish more media did as good of a job.

Speaking of Entrapta, I feel she is probably the most accurate representation of autism in any character I’ve ever seen in any form of media. My sister has autism, and as anybody with autism knows not every person with autism is the same. And while Entrapta doesn’t behave exactly the same as my little sister, it’s good to see actual representation in a cartoon of what a person with autism is like.

I knew going in that Catra was going to be my favorite. And she was. But my second favorite has to be Scorpia.

I wish we got to see more of Bow’s dads.

I thought Shadow Weaver was extremely well written. As I was watching the show, I thought Weaver was gonna do something heinous in season 4 or season 5. That’s why I was stunned when she didn’t. Shadow Weaver rides this fine balance where you don’t like her even though she’s no longer up to her villainous ways. She’s still a bad person, but but the show does an effect job explaining why she is the way she is. In a way, she’s kinda the polar opposite of Catra. Instead of Catra, who wants to put the effort in changing and getting better, Weaver is too stubborn to actually bother changing her ways.

I thought the biggest problem with the show comes in season 5. It seems like a lot of the characters the show had spent time focusing on kind of got forgotten about. Scorpia, Mermista, Kyle and his teammates, they barely got any screen time in season 5. I also really felt until the last few episodes of season 5, Hordak kinda got shortchanged. With the introduction of Wrong Hordak, it felt like the writers forgot about Hordak. And then with the last few episodes, the writers were like “Oh, crap. We need to tie up the lose ends with Hordak.” It almost feels like the introduction of Wrong Hordak was unnecessary and Hordak could’ve just taken his place. Because for about 6 or so episodes, Hordak isn’t mentioned at all.

I thought the best episodes of the show were the prom night episode from season 1, the episode in season 2 where they discuss strategy plans, the pie episode in season 4, and the save the cat episode in season 5. Of the four, my favorite is the pie episode.

I was wondering how the show would redeem Catra. I knew going in it was gonna happen, so my question is HOW was it gonna happen. And I actually thought they handled it beautifully. The thing that makes the Catra redemption thing work is twofold. First, Catra still struggles with her feelings going forward. And second, there are many scenes afterward where the characters still treat her as the bad guy. It wasn’t a case where everyone instantly forgave her or she instantly was cured of her problems. It was done realistically. When you regret something you do, you still feel guilty over what you’ve done. And the show does a tremendous job of conveying that feeling. The same goes for not every character instantly forgiving Catra. When you apologize for your actions, not everyone is going to forgive you immediately. And the show does a good job of conveying that.

Overall, I love She-ra: Princesses of Power. I thought it was brilliantly written, well-animated, and perfectly paced. In the last couple months, I’ve watched a series of animated shows on Netflix: Dragon Prince, Hilda, Glitch Techs, and this show. And of the four shows, this show is my favorite. I love each show for different reasons, but I like Princesses of Power the most because it feels the most complete of all the shows. Plus, its portrayal of mental health issues is better than any other TV show I’ve ever seen.
Dr_Osaka
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Sata Andagi!
Hey does anyone still remember that Jack and the Beanstalk movie that Disney announced they were making? Whatever happened to that?  
I haven’t been the biggest fan of their latest fairytale adaptations not to mention Disney also did this story back in the 40s starring Mickey Mouse, but I would have still liked to see another version of the Beanstalk since 8t was one of my favorites growing up.  
Raya and the Last Dragon looks alright (though maybe a bit too similar to Avatar The Last Airbender) and I certainly did not ask for a Frozen sequel, although I am glad we got a Wreck-It Ralph sequel at least; nevertheless I hope they don’t completely abandon that idea just because it’s a shame to tease something and never follow through on it.
Background Pony #0A8B
Can we quote Spongebob episodes almost word for word because the early seasons are so memorable, or because Nickelodeon airs Spongebob non-stop, and we’ve seen the episodes so many times?
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Background Pony #0A8B  
Maybe both? (Insert popular quote here.)

@northern haste  
I remember that, Robert Zemekis did do both movies. I know some like to hate on “Polar Express,” because of it’s uncanny-valley animation style, (looks no worse then beloved video game cinematic scenes to me) or because of that weird kid oddly voiced by Eddie Deezen, but regardless, I think it was a very good & underrated holiday movie.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Hali the Emoji girl  
Didn’t they already have a different version of the TT team appear?

@northern haste  
Yeah, it’s a li’l odd, I admit, but at least a change of pace from all the other Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks looking CGI animated movies.

I also found Tom Hanks’ multiple roles amusing.
ShadowBolt Platinum

Don't lose your way!
Gorillaz reminds me of the early 00’s Cartoon Network shows in way. It kind of reminds me of Codename: Kids Next Door or The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy in a way.
Cyborg_pony
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

Speaking of Gorillaz:

Remember when Noodle was dating Ace and he was the bass player for a hot minute till Murdock made bail?

full

That was weird.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide