Cartoon/Western Animation General

Background Pony #7431
IMO, Disney Channel has the best lineup of the big 3 right now. Star vs, Ducktales, and Tangled are great.

Then again, Disney’s always put out quality cartoons. Why do you think that is? Because they have access to the best animators and writers in the world?
Scrabbleman
Duck - He literally asked for this
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

[screams in German]
@Background Pony #BAE1  
Probably. Also because Disney is a bit more lenient in regards to cartoons since they have the budget for it. There’s less risk for them, which means animators and writers are freer to do what whatever they want. With the number of shows pumping out of Disney, and the fact they have a huge budget, means Disney makes a profit almost all the time.
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@Background Pony #BAE1
Probably. Also because Disney is a bit more lenient in regards to cartoons since they have the budget for it. There’s less risk for them, which means animators and writers are freer to do what whatever they want. With the number of shows pumping out of Disney, and the fact they have a huge budget, means Disney makes a profit almost all the time.

To be fair, they take risks. A lot of industry leaders would just sit on their pile of money, pumping out ‘Generic Movie 6 - The Returning’. As evidenced by Star Vs and Gravity Falls their television cartoon output tends to be weird and ambitious, their every single animated movie is a different genre, they’re allergic to sequels (Jennifer Lee had to beg John Lasseter to make a sequel to their most successful film) and the MCU has gotten even better since they took creative control away from Marvel.

They’re not perfect, but I cannot claim they have not earned their success and money, especially since they pretty much pissed all that away twice during the 70’s and the later half of Michael Eisner’s era, showing that being an entertainment juggernaut is not self sustaining.
Background Pony #7431
@Philweasel

Didn’t Disney almost go bankrupt in the 70s?

I can’t imagine what the animation landscape would look like if Disney had gone under.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Philweasel
they only had like maybe two movies made before disney bought them.

Actually it wasn’t until Phase 3 (Civil War) that they booted Isaac Perlmutter off the creative commitee.

als the star wars stuff has been pretty divisive.

Read ‘they take risks’. I’m sure they would have made plenty of money by having a attractive white guy fight a generic sith lord until he wins ‘because his lightsaber skills are more powerful’, but I personally think I fell asleep just writing that.
Thanotos Omega
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

@Philweasel
they only had like maybe two movies made before disney bought them.
Actually it wasn’t until Phase 3 (Civil War) that they booted Isaac Perlmutter off the creative commitee.
als the star wars stuff has been pretty divisive.
Read ‘they take risks’. I’m sure they would have made plenty of money by having a attractive white guy fight a generic sith lord until he wins ‘because his lightsaber skills are more powerful’, but I personally think I fell asleep just writing that.

See any purely anakin focused Clone Wars episodes since the writers forgot he was slowly having his world torn apart as the jedi morte and more failed to live up to their own code and the visions of Padme’s death began to eat away at his better nature,
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Philweasel
yeah now they have generic white lady fighting a generic sith lord cuz. very nice generalizing by the by.

Kylo Ren is the least generic sith lord I’ve ever seen from the franchise.

Admittedly Rey borrowed Luke’s “train for five minutes, fail every test put in front of you, run off half cocked and make everything worse” plan, but that’s kind of a franchise tradition at this point. As is admittedly, a villain who’s a little more interesting than the hero. Still being a tiny bit dull isn’t a cardinal sin, the original got by with Luke and he wasn’t exactly overflowing with depth.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Angrybrony  
Don’t be a fanboy… Looking back at the original movie, Luke was almost as “whiny” as people complain about older Annakin for being.  
“What a piece of junk!” Like father like son. It wasn’t until later in the movie Luke started getting more badass.

@Angrybrony  
In fairness, the pre-Disney SW movies were already quite divisive. Especially, the prequel trilogy, but some whom prefer the prequel trilogy look back on the original with less love/nostalgia. So it kinda goes both ways.

That said, I’m not a huge SW fan, but I still liked the original & prequel trilogy, (Episode 3 felt kinda like it was rushing every event though especially how easily some of it’s villains were defeated) and even the newer Disney era ones.

One thing I kinda like about the Disney era ones, is they set up a moment that looks like a plot-twist/cliché that any SW fan would recognize, but then instead do something different then expected.
Death2
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

YOU WILL BOW TO ME.
I think for a while in the ’90s, they used to make cartoons for kids based on R-rated movies or M-rated games.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Great Plateau  
That happened in the ‘80s too actually.  
They had children’s cartoons based on Rated R movies like Robocop, Police Academy, (the original was rated R) the Toxic Avenger, Rambo, and such.

In fact, originally when it first came out, Robocop was actually X-rated, (and the first film to get that rating based on violence alone) but as time went on, it was rerated R, as frankly it’s no worse then a modern Rated-R movie.
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Beau Skunky  
Let’s face it, Robocop, the Toxic Avenger and Rambo are kids movies. It was that kind of era.

I grew up in the 80’s, and I watched Robocop when I was about seven. I found it rather funny, though I had to hide behind the sofa during the bit where he gets shot.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Philweasel  
Alot of kids probably liked those movies back then. The ‘80s were actually quite edgy after doing research on the decade.  
Heck, Nintendo Power magazine’s second issue had Dracula’s severed head, and an actual cow heart. (The famed “Simon’s Quest” cover.)  
Nick Jr. back then even had an anime adaptation of “Grimm’s Fairy Tales” that featured some surprisingly scary/violent moments sometimes.

Robocop was actually my first Rated R movie as a kid. (Either that, or Terminator 2, I can’t remember.)
Death2
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

YOU WILL BOW TO ME.
@Beau Skunky  
It’s like what Bart Simpson said in the first “Treehouse of Horror”, after Lisa reads him “The Raven” by Edgar Allen Poe, about how that poem wasn’t so scary. Lisa says that it was written about a century ago, so people back then were pretty terrified by such things, and he compares it to the first “Friday the 13th” and how the violence in it was pretty tame by today’s standards.
Angrybrony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

🔥Sunset is best girl🔥
One thing I kinda like about the Disney era ones, is they set up a moment that looks like a plot-twist/cliché that any SW fan would recognize, but then instead do something different then expected.

s u b v e r t e x p e c t a t i o n s
Jarkes
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Transformers Thread

GOKAAAAI... SILVER!
Robocop had TWO kid-friendly cartoons. I will never get over that or how he was blue in one of them for some reason.
Ardashir

@Jarkes  
I remember the live-action Robocop. They gave him an arch-enemy named, of all things, Pudface Morgan. A guy who looked like the unholy love child of Freddy Krueger and Jimmy Durante. The whole thing was like some weird drug trip.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide