Cartoon/Western Animation General

Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Professional supermodel
@blue-case90
Morbid curiosity, and as Dex said history. I’ve seen a few of the banned WB cartoons, and I can see why they’re banned, but they are still interesting watch for historical purposes, and because it’s like watching a train wreck.
Though, given all the media now portraying black people as punk, urban, thugs, and gangsters, it feels like racial caricatures and stereotypes are unfortunately still a thing, just different now…
Heck, people are shocked when they find out I’m a mixed race, because I’m not stereotypical at all. lol.
@Dex Stewart
Yeah, the director of that cartoon Bob Clampet was actually a big fan of black jazz music back then, and wanted to homage it. He wasn’t trying to be racist, but unfortuneataly the caricatures were acceptable in the 1940s, so they didn’t think anything of it. (Though, the dice teeth and such do raise eyebrows.)
I hear later he came to regret the caricatures in the cartoon.
Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages

@Beau Skunky
racial stereotypes existed for a reason. The 30’s Italian mobster, the tough guy thugs, the redneck, the posh socialite, the man-bun hipster D-bag, the honor-bound Asian.
A lot of inner-city black people don’t think your black if you’re not “thug” You’re just white and treated worse, which is depressing.
I haven’t seen much of black people portrayed like any of those in recent things, most of the time it feels like they’re just the Gordan Goodbrother or the soulful saint. Normally either to the side for certain characters or evne if they are the villain, they’re not at fault for their actions. With of course the Killmonger hair because, they can only have one hairstyle, I guess.
A black character as a thug now sounds more interesting now. At least as a starting point.
Down on his luck run-of-the-mill hoodlum known for just bumping heads, gets into serious trouble by being framed and moves out of state and ironically becomes a cop in a small town and catches the real murderer by using his street smarts.
Not the most interesting premise, but eh, off the the top of my head. Still sounds better then whatever this is supposed to be.
Which is a Whole other can of worms.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Professional supermodel
Regardless, while I’m not a super advocate for political correctness, (I enjoy some old politically incorrect movies, and comedians like Richard Pryor) it is still unfair to stereotype, if it is overdone, aimed at real people you don’t know, or as you put it, to the point some people of your own group believe they have to act like the stereotypes too. (Which is indeed unfortunate.)
And actually “thug” culture is still promoted in some movies, and music if you look hard enough, so some old stereotypes still persist.
I do kinda like your idea of a street punk becoming a cop, and such.
Background Pony #BCCC
I watched the first 3 episodes of Quiet on Set.
I’m not seeing how Nickelodeon recovers from this.
Cyborg_pony
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

@Beau Skunky
Rap or hip-hop is known for that, yes. It’s why I usually don’t care for it. Just “Go out, do crime.” then they wonder why they got arrested. I recall that one rapper that kept getting paroled and out doing dumb things that day because he there was no consequences for his actions.
It’s also why a lot of black characters now all just meld into one role fits all. In some cases they just want to steer away from being “stereotype” that they slam full force into another at mock II, and are terrified to make an character stand out.
War Machine isn’t a good character because he’s black Iron Man. He’s a good character because he’s a military major and his suit relies on that training with ballistics.
Bishop isn’t a good character because he’s black mutant with a gun. He’s a good character because he’s a time-traveling badass with a mullet.
Blade isn’t a good characters because he’s black Alucard. It’s be cause he wrestles with his vamperism on a daily basis and chooses to fight against vampires that look at people no different then food.
Miles Morales isn’t a good character, not because he’s black, but because they refuse to do anything with him other then shoe-horning him in with other and then making him the side-kick for others.
Look at HIS last movie, it was more about Gwen, who also can’t stand on her own.
His the stand-alone game he was rescued in stead of rescuing.
That happens a lot in his comics as well. One even had him relaying on several other heroes to fight one villain for him. The best way to say it is he’s a proxy hero.
Apparently leaks from Insomniac is Peter is or was supposed to be front and center in Spider-Man 3, despite their claims.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Professional supermodel
@Cyborg_pony
I guess you have to be careful not to trade one stereotype or trope/cliche’ for another. Like how they got rid of the “damsel in distress” trope, and traded it for either a dude getting kidnapped, or a female hero who refuses help from anyone and can do anything, teaching girls not to ask for help.
Wasn’t Blade around much longer then Alucard? (Or at least when Alucard got more character and backstory in “Symphony of the Night”)
As for Miles, I think he has potential, he just needs his own villains, and such kinda like in the first “Spiderverse” movie, so he’s not just another Peter Parker.
@Background Pony #BCCC
Yeah, it doesn’t look good for Nick. Wonder how it’ll effect them and franchises they bought like TMNT.
@northern haste
Yeah, though some older comedians know how to use that type of humor. Newer ones don’t know how to do it well.
♥♥Princess♥♥Celestia♥♥
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Artist -

The Bestia
Rap or hip-hop is known for that, yes. It’s why I usually don’t care for it. Just “Go out, do crime.”
NGL. That is a boomer ass/ one of those race realist weirdos on Twitter ass take.
I’m not a rap guy either, I’m eternally stuck on 90/2000’s pop punk but like. Even I know rap expanded past gangsta rap decades ago. It’s still around but dudes like Lil Dicky and Lil Nas X are things now, and they’re the most opposite of that you can get.
@Beau Skunky
Miles is going through the growing pains common with alot of comic characters where noones sure what to do with them. At some point he’ll get that one writer who does the character defining run. His Pete David to the Hulk, Frank Miller to DareDevil, John Rodgers to Jaime Reyes, John Byrne to She-Hulk. Just kinda how it goes.
Cyborg_pony

@Beau Skunky
At this point, Mile potential is lost. They refused to not make him a carbon-copy just with extra powers to make up a lack of character, Even given him others’ powers. By Odin’s Fade indeed.
If he was Anglo-Saxon and blonde, everyone that claim to love him would want him dead and would dance on that grave.
♥♥Princess♥♥Celestia♥♥
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Artist -

The Bestia
Actually I just remembered cause of the uh. weird thing about people hating Miles if he was blonde and white (what?)
Marvel is trying to make Spider Boy a thing again.
medium
Book sold out and no one hates him. Reception so far has been neutral to positive. Mostly alot of “Oh. That’s kinda neat I guess.”
We’ll see how it goes and if he pops up in any cartoons or games in the future.
northern haste
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Enter if you dare
All the talk of horrid henry on twitter ended up putting dennis the menace (uk) in the mind.
Mostly because even his parents was not as mean as Henry’s and Dennis was an actual menace, especially in the earlier stuff.
Cyborg_pony

@Hali the Emoji girl
There was an accusation by like only two women and like maybe 3 guys that after claiming Bad things, pimped their patreons and then deleted their twitters shortly after. No real evidence has ever been brought forward other then “Oh yeah. He totally did it! I kind of think I saw it.” Not to mention many who claimed to have seen some Naughty pictures of girls hadn’t altered authorities, which means they are guilty of aiding a crime.
…. No wonder they nuked their accounts.
Then again, it’s Nickelodeon we’re talking about. Who know what some of them were up too. The ones that yell the loudest, are usually hiding the most. There’s a few I see yelling.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
Watching Spongebob made me realize something. Patrick’s actually kind of a jerk. He can be pretty selfish snd hypocritcal. He can also be a bad influence on Spongebob.
Like with the Grandmas Kisses episode or Sandys Rocket or especially Dumped where Patrick steals Gary from Spomgebob.
igotnopicks
Thread Starter - Splatoon thread

Monado User
@TheDog
Note in the comics Ray is dead. In the show Ray is living in tubes and stuff. Probably going to retire or die. But hey Rex survived and is becoming a much better character.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide