Cartoon/Western Animation General

Background Pony #3E43
Friendly reminder: don’t waste tour time on Miraculous Ladybug guys. It’s nothing but a massive waste of time. If you want a show that handles romance very well (as well as for much more of course) go for The Dragon Prince instead.

I still thank HappySpaceMan for introducing me to the show 14 months ago.
Background Pony #3E43
@northern haste

Maybe not but at least The Dragon Prince doesn’t handle romance in a super tedious overlong boring frustrating way like Miraculous does. They might be different in both themes and general structure, but romance could have been handled in the same way for both of them. Plus, as much it’s very well done, The Dragon Prince doesn’t round only around romance. Miraculous instead does for about the 70% and that’s incredibly frustrating, especially after the Chat Blanc episode.

I will say it fair and straight: RAYLLUM IS WHAT ADRIANETTE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE (oh and also The Dragon Prince doesn’t regress story arcs like Miraculous does). And there you have it.

Goodness, I cannot believe how mad that show makes me…
Background Pony #3E43
@Dustcan

First, no. It was slowly developed cross three season. It was gradualmente, not rushed and not over tedious (I mean, if it that was rushed then what would all those movies that develop romance in 100 minutes that tell a story that happens in a few days be?).

Second: in Miraculous we have a female and a male protagonist as well, but they made a stupid frustrating “end of the world” plot barrier in order to not get that developed until the series finale. And considering that for the most part Miraculous rounds around that, it makes the whole show incredibly frustrating to watch (especially considering Marinette’s constant fangirling over Adrien, which is the only thing I hate of the character. If the show setted up everything in this season that would be done for good).

If I have to chose between the two, it’s obvious I take The Dragon Prince anyday (even because TDP has a lot more to offer than the romance between two of the protagonist you know). You can’t change my mind.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Background Pony #3E43

Well, I watched many episodes from all three seasons of Miraculous as well as the New York Special during the last lockdown. Since Miraculous is quite popular here in Germany (which is especially noticeable with all the merchandise everywhere), I was initially curious, but also quickly annoyed by the very first season.

As for the “romance”, it is indeed quite clichéd, but: It works much better in the French version thanks to a great many puns. To be exact, the constant hitting from Cat Noir on Ladybug in the French version is based on this very thing. It’s an endless stringing together of innuendo, verbal jokes and situational comedy. You either have to like it or you don’t. There are also people who don’t like Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes. ;-)

However, many of these puns were translated incredibly poorly into German and English, and some of them can’t be translated at all. In any case, IMO the romance doesn’t compare to the one from The Dragon Prince. I think you’re assuming a false fact here when you’re aware of the huge amount of Miraculous shippers on social media. Here, the corresponding artwork and images are much better than the original series. But that’s how I feel about MLP:FiM sometimes. ;-D

Well, the second season was a bit better, and I even watched the whole of the third season because I liked the animation and the setting there with the additional occasional heroes (a.k.a. Marinette’s classmates) much better. I’m not a big fan of the series because of that, but I also don’t think it’s a bad thing, or a waste of time, for those who actually like this series a lot.

I wonder if I’ll volunteer to watch the fourth and fifth seasons…? Hm, maybe. HEAVY SPOILER by the end of season three: Now that Marinette is the new guardian of the Miraculous, and she probably won’t end up with Cat Noir after all, AND the fate of Adrien’s mother makes the whole setting at least a little more believable, my interest was piqued.

The whole thing seems to be moving more in a direction that I like a lot better than I did in the first season. Plus, the new costumes of her and the others are much more visually easy on the eyes. I probably wouldn’t watch it if there was something I was more interested in right now, but sometimes on Sunday mornings you’re just way too tired for overly ambitious series. That’s where a light-hearted series like this comes in quite handy.

I give Miraculous, les aventures de Ladybug et Chat Noir 3,5 out of 5 stars. ;-)
Background Pony #3E43
@northern haste

Ok I’ll admit that advertising a show by making another looking bad is a dirty move. But to be honest, this is actually how I feel about Miraculous I’ve never seen a show like that for which I had such high hopes only to have them totally crashing down.

When a year ago HappySpaceman introduced me to The Dragon Prince, by showing Rayllum in this exact topic (it wasn’t addressed to me specifically, I just happened to have seen his posts), I went all in with that show, because it was exactly what I needed after I stopped watching Miraculous because of that fucking Chat Blanc episode. Of course I found much more to enjoy in it other than Rayllum, but that was the invitation ticket for me.

Maybe promoting a show by making another looking bad is not a polited move, but after the frustrating disappointment I had with it, you can see where I’m coming from.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Background Pony #3E43

Comparing the 2 show’s romances is like apple and oranges. And I like Dragon Prince’s version.

But I am saying that the entire 3 seasons take place over the course of, what, a week? So in that period of time Callum and Rayla has to go from assassin and target, overcome decades worth of racial hatred between their species, and the little fact that Rayla had a hand in killing Callum’s father. That’s a lot in a short time to go through.
Background Pony #3E43
@Dustcan

First were THREE WEEKS not one. Second, I stand for what I believe in. You can’t change my mind.

And for that matter, I wasted my time coming here. I didn’t remember you guys being so annoyingly rude. I’m out of here, you jerks.
DaddyMakesMeEUHH

(ヽ^ゝ^)ちわー!
@northern haste  
I get the reason why cgi I used because there are some stuff that would take to long to make, or it if you want to make Thanos I pretty sure he wouldn’t look good with pratical effects.However movies like “The Thing” or “Jaws” had a greater impact in pratical effects that I don’t think it would have done so if it was done in Cgi.And since “The Thing” got prequel in 2011 and they used cgi for that.. I’d say the 80s one is greatly superior as it definitely has a different vibe and looks more disturbing. But I guess it all up to interpretations.
DaddyMakesMeEUHH

(ヽ^ゝ^)ちわー!
@northern haste  
Do you remeber where that is said? Because the only thing I saw saying something similar was on Screen Rant where they said “That was until Universal demanded the film undergo heavy reshoots, including a new ending, and that new CGI effects be overlaid on top of the existing practical effects, effectively erasing them. In a later interview, Heijningen said the effects were seen as looking too much like a 1980s film-.” They might of as well left it how it was since the cgi looked terrible from what I’ve heard online.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide