Vent thread

Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
Student debt hits a grim milestone this year.

At 1.6 Trillion dollars it will surpass the average US debt growth rate of 1.2 to 1.4 Trillion.

It is absurd that this shit is allowed to continue. People shouldn’t have to burden themselves with decades of debt just to get a good education.
TheMagpulPone
Artist -

Dynamic Pie
Iran just stated that diplomacy and talks with the US are permanently over, and say they will shoot down more US aircraft. If they value their country, would be the single biggest mistake they could make.
RadioDemon
Duck - User has been known to often resemble a waterfowl

So many orphans~Alastor
@Zincy  
And yet they do for various reasons. I am already 40k in debt yet I know that I WILL pay the debt back…you know LIKE AN ADULT. I expect that I will go for another year which will add another 24k in debt which will push it up to 64k which is arguably light in comparison to other people in debt. I technically could get debt forgiveness if I am eligible for it tho.
TheMagpulPone
Artist -

Dynamic Pie
@Ainz Ooal Gown  
US destroyers are already in position to strike, US Cybercommand hacked Irans missile defenses disabling them, and B-52 Stratofortress bombers are also on standby to carpet bomb key Iranian assets. All it takes is one more downed drone.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Ainz Ooal Gown

“Like an adult” is one of the most useless phrases ever touted out.

What does it even mean? If a person gets a degree that is in a worthwhile field, but because of circumstances outside of their control they end up defaulting on their loan debt? Are they suddenly not an adult?

Or someone under heavy debt has a medical emergency, or their field collapses? Or those in long-haul degrees that started out cheaper but whose price ballooned in the past 5 years (such as various polytech fields)? Are they less adult if they cannot pay back their debt?

Or those that were taken in by predatory lenders?

Point is, the system is far to flawed to continue going like this. Valuable degrees are locked behind ever increasing paywalls, trapping worthwhile individuals in untenable debt cycles that can delay their lives by years. Home and auto sellers are already sounding the alarm that traditional bastions of the US economy may incur intense slowdowns due to the younger generations being unable to purchase. Already there are 10s of 1000s of homes around America languishing on the market due to a generation with decreased spending power.

The system is broken, it needs to either be repaired or burned down.
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Free the Tantabus
@Zincy  
Remind me, why should someone pay $30k a year to attend a supposedly public school? It makes sense for for-profit institutions like Harvard to charge through the roof, but when state-run schools do so it is… odd.

Point is college should be tuition free at state schools, because that’s how public education works. College is too important to keep behind a paywall.
RadioDemon

So many orphans~Alastor
@Zincy  
When in its in a place where you can get a degree for cheap, like where I am going, they have no excuse going multiple years in a university especially if they know that the career they want to be in wont pay much in comparison. You have two masters degrees which will get you a guaranteed job that will pay off your debt. Me? I know that I will have to pay off my debt yet It wont be exorbitant in comparison to others that went to more prominent universities. Harvard being an example.  
If anyone is greedy in this instance its the Universites NOT the banks that lend out loans.
GenericArchangel
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Free the Tantabus
@Ainz Ooal Gown  
That’s incredibly unfair to public universities, which are theoretically state funded but are often the first to feel the pinch during spending cuts. My school receives an astounding 3% of its annual budget from the Commonwealth, which is ridiculous. Profs ain’t cheap, and neither is research. We need, at a federal level, significantly more funding so that public college can be tuition free without bankrupting these schools.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Ainz Ooal Gown

I love how you ignored all the ways I just explained that this ludicrous debt can catch even the prepared off kilter, then threw in the zinger of the evil Universities.

Banks allow people who shouldn’t be able to get a loan to have one. They set the caps on interest, and them and the feds are the ones that say you’re not allowed to bankrupt student debt. All three of those factors make banks just as complicit. You have no grounds to defend them.

Why can a failed businessman in millions of dollars of debt bankrupt his debt but a father of 2 going to school to get a better job for his kids can’t?
RadioDemon

So many orphans~Alastor
@Zincy  
They should be able too. No question. But the fact is many universities continuously push up their tuition even tho they don’t need to. So WHY do the push the tuition up? Ill tell you why. Its because they made getting a degree a business. A literal business that they profit from. Look at all the gender studies bullshit in universities that have sprouted up in the last 10 years.
RadioDemon

So many orphans~Alastor
@GenericArchangel  
And incur a shit-ton more debt than we have now? Really? No. Not with the shit in colleges today. Either they push all of that bullshit gender pseudoscience out or they go bankrupt. I would rather have trade schools take up the slack than be indoctrinated with that drivel that is being spewed out in academia right now.
GenericArchangel
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Free the Tantabus
@Ainz Ooal Gown  
Oh great, the liberal arts argument. As a liberal arts major (history), it’s not appreciated that people treat these fields as irrelevant frivolities to waste the time engineers should spend studying. This stuff is important to creating a better society through understanding how to do so, okay?

And again, you fail to address the issue of nonprofit colleges that charge similar rates. Why? They have to. I’m not saying tuition isn’t bloated- it is- but it can’t be lowered as much as you seem to think.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Ainz Ooal Gown

Fun fact about gender studies, you can actually get quite a few jobs in the 40k to 60k range based on the fact that most GS curriculums satisfy degree requirements for advocacy, legal, and admin assistant positions. With the top earners able to even crest 80k.

So, that chestnut is actually false.
RadioDemon

So many orphans~Alastor
@Zincy  
So “mansplaining”, “misgendering” and all this bullshit is now in law and administration? Just great! We are really heading towards a literal dystopia.
GenericArchangel
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Free the Tantabus
@Ainz Ooal Gown  
Want to end gender inequality, a pressing issue of our time?

Guess which class you should take.

Arguments like yours damage all the liberal arts by association, and that one in particular also hurts sociology. People trying to promote STEM has come at the cost of the arts, and that’s not okay. I agree with promting the sciences, but it cannot come at the expense of the humanities- there’s a reason we call them the humanities.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Ainz Ooal Gown

Number of Gender Studies Degrees awarded in 2018

Number of active degree seeking individuals in the US in 2018

16 million.

Try again.
GenericArchangel
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Free the Tantabus
@PonyPon  
@Ainz Ooal Gown

I love how these replies are from people who are supposedly arguing the same point.

Gender inequality is real, and the pay gap definitely is, but that’s not the discussion we’re having right now. Public universities need to be tuition-free.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide