Unpopular opinion time (super alpha no pony edition)

O. Hancock
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Penis
@icey wicey 1517

@Myoozik

Warning, this is only my understanding as a young man in Midwest USA. I do not have first hand experience of being in the legendary Big Apple record store of South London or anything like that. However, I have been a fan of dubstep and its various subgenres since about 2008.

Brostep is dubstep made with aggressive synths, and emphasis on treble in addition to the basslines. It was started first by Rusko with the song “Cockney Thug” in 2007. Although dubstep experimentation had been growing a lot in recent years, prior to Cockney Thug, it had never really been something quite that cheeky and with as much “bro” party appeal.

With OG dubstep, the favorite listening pasttimes were often smoking a bowl in a basement with relatively small crowds of people and nodding one’s head or even meditating and contemplating the complexities of life. Also driving or doing other relaxing things. There were still occasional real bangers or the day, like Midnight Request Line by Skream where people might have actually really cranked it and danced on occasion. But overall, dubstep was a more moderate form of music. It was often played loudly, but it was always very very bass and sub-bass focused and appealed to something deep inside people, while giving them breathing room up top in the treble to think. It wasn’t something that was very “catchy” or appealed to most kids or jocks.

Fast forward to the days brostep:  
After Rusko’s Cockney Thug landed, there were still artists like Skream, Benga, Emalkay, etc in those early days making traditional dubstep. A lot of the artists who had been making dubstep and pioneering and refining the sound started to get eclipsed by the newer surge of brostep artists. However, the early days of brostep still retained most of the elements of actual dubstep, to the point where it really was a legitimate subgenre. We still had lots of reverb, deep bass, shuffling hi hats and halftime 2-step beats. Artists like 16-bit made absolutely fantastic tracks from 2007-2009 that are still timeless today. They could be described as aggressive at many times sure, but there is a definite real dubstep feel to the music that is oh so good. Brostep didn’t really begin to get crazy dumb and actually something that masses of kids, dudebros, emos, scenesters, etc. thought was cool until the end of 2009, and even then there were still a huge amount of really good tracks alongside the crap. 2011 when Skrillex came along is when it really fell apart. There were good tracks even after Skrillex, but many people became discouraged after Everytime someone tried to show their friends a real dubstep song or even a more moderate brostep song, their friends said something like, “wtf is this?” And then proceeded to show them this “better, real dubstep” from Skrillex which most of the times wasn’t even brostep. Most of skrillex’s music isn’t even brostep, because brostep at the very least has a tempo between 130-150, usually around 140. It also has to have some kind of halftime beat for at least part of it. You can’t make a track at 110 bpm with a 4 on the floor regular beat and call it dubstep or brostep. You just can’t do that. It’s like someone calling a Chihuahua and a wolf the same thing because they’re both canines.

But yeah, I respect the opinion, but personally I don’t think brostep was ever overrated. I think Skrillex’s electro that everyone called dubstep or brostep, and the like 1 or 2 actual brostep songs he made were pretty overrated back in the day, but that’s about it. Brostep is mostly “underground” nowadays. I don’t understand how something most people don’t like can be overrated but whatevs lol.
Don't
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - One Piece Thread

Get up and Jump
@O. Hancock  
Skrillex himself is underrated in the sense that people blame him for his copycats who were heavily oversaturated in the internet untill Trap Took over. Even in this very fandom you had too many people making “Brostep” Brony music

And him not being Dubstep doesn’t make him bad, he’s more of a Electro House guy with Post-Hardcore Influence , it’s not like his style was the first “Aggressive” EDM genre or anything
O. Hancock

Penis
@Broken Adam  
I liked some of the stuff on the Alien album. I also liked a couple tracks before that in an ironic or tomgue-in-cheek manner. I even made a Bangarang Ytpmv collab lol. It is what it is.
O. Hancock

Penis
@Broken Adam  
And yeah, that’s a good point, i mean, I’ve enjoyed plenty of “aggressive” EDM over the years. Even entire genres. I guess sometimes it just felt like there was a lack of soul to a lot of the music in that scene post-Skrillex. A couple of his tracks actually did have a soul to them actually though, in their own way. Honestly it’s probably the way that the music got marketed afterwards much moreso than the music itself that I hated.
Meanlucario
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Time to get spooky
@Jarkes  
I not surprised. A few days ago, I encountered one of those women that Lightingbolt talks about who shames other women for being attracted to men on this site, so saying that group is here as well isn’t surprising.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
I don’t like Memeology 101

he’s another one of those drama channels that seems to think that every tiny dumb thing needs to have a video made out about it, his thumbnails and titles are clickbaity as hell and seem tor try and fit in as much buzzwords as possible and his comment section is full of those “lel get rekt libtard” people.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide