The Nerd Thread (comics, movies, anime, cartoons, video games, lore, fun stuff, ect.)

Hollowfox, Always The Worst Person
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Est. 2012
@Darth Prime
Still hypocritical. No matter how comics and animation are different mediums.
Not to mention the gatekeeping against celebrities when it comes to animated films which affected Scooby-Doo and PPG and now Mario.
Because without live action, celebrities don’t have any other place to go without either voicing an original character (MLP) or a preexisting character in either a reboot film or adaptation (Mario, Scoob!, PPG, DuckTales).
Darth Prime
You are being deceived - Derpi Supporter
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Bronze Bit -
Ruby -
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

@The Worst Person
Gatekeeping Celebrities? The actual fuck are you talking about?
Many Celebrities have done voice work in big films for decades.
Also I don’t see any hypocritical here but that’s because I really don’t understand what your point is other then making broad judgments on people without actually understanding what their problems are.

Est. 2012
@The Worst Person
Gatekeeping Celebrities? The actual fuck are you talking about?
Many Celebrities have done voice work in big films for decades.
Except it’s a problem nowadays in the eyes of PPG fans, Scooby-Doo fans and now Mario fans. And also whoever made this video.
Also I don’t see any hypocritical here but that’s because I really don’t understand what your point is other then making broad judgments on people without actually understanding what their problems are.
Let’s set an example.
Feige or Hamada or whoever runs a film or TV division of a comic book company announced a live action adaptation of… Let’s say… X-Men/Superman/other comic book. And people didn’t universally want it to burn it to the ground.
But when some company or service announces a live action adaptation of a game, a cartoon or an anime, regardless of it being from Hollywood or Japan, people just groan about it instead of giving it a chance until it turns out good or bad.
I know that their track records wasn’t good, heck, The Jem movie was bad not because it’s live action but because the crew didn’t translate the toon into live action very well (I mean it looks like a DCOM about a rising star to me), but that shouldn’t mean live action should not exist for adaptations of everything else not just comics.
If everything was animation instead of live action, celebrities wouldn’t get to voice acting, and if they did they would be booed like SD fans and Mario fans did to Will Forte and Chris Pratt.
If people want an EqG animated movie with the Original cast returning instead of a live action adaptation starring Millie Bobby Brown as Twilight, that’s gatekeeping. And to add to the gatekeeping, if the latter does the voice of Twilight and not Tara Strong, people will be pissed.
Nootnoot

The Nootiest
So…I just had the single best comeback I’ll ever have in smash. Look up ID 934PNRPG in shared content. I was Steve fighting Young Link. Let me know what you think.
Penguin Dragneel
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Weeb Wars: The Anime Controversy Thread
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Artist -

The Latest Tax Write-Off
Frozen is airing on FX.
I swear, this has been a wild-ass week for movies on TV. First it’s Bully Maquire on Cartoon Network, then Blade Runner 2049 on Adult Swim, and now THIS.
Darth Prime
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Bronze Bit -
Ruby -

@The Worst Person
Okay firstly I watched that video and they said specifically that they are not anti-celebrity voice acting but pro voice-actors their point was about how under appropriate VAs are and how celebrities are used as marketing for movies. Like take the Mario movie casting for an example most people are okay and even accepting of Jake Black as Bowser or even Charlie Day as Luigi the only one people went “I’m not sure about that one” was Chris Pratt as Mario because people know Chris Pratt is the hot thing right now so that’s why he was cast instead of him really being the right choice for Mario(and I am NOT saying he WILL be bad as Mario it’s still up and the air).
I saw absolutely no sign of the “gatekeeping” you were talking about in that video so again I have to wonder what in the name of all creation you’re on about.
As to the rest of your point.
Look it’s hard to get excited or not except the worse when there’s literal decades of past experiences.
And adapting a comic and actually novels for that matter too is different than adapting animation to live-action because the reason for turning something animated into live-action seems to be 1) nostalgia obviously the powers that be want to cash in on people already have an attachment to and 2) to wipe away the perceived “stigma” animation has the assumption that live-action is better mostly because of the belief that being live-action is more “realistic” and thus equals to being “better”.

Est. 2012
@Darth Prime
It’s not just the video but also how people reacted to the casting news. Especially being the same energy as the casting controversy in Scoob! And the PPG reboot. (Hello, controversies lead to ruin?)
Also, sorry for being literal, but why the fuck is the title like that if it’s not anti-Celebrity? The title would have said “Why VAs are underused in animated movies”.
Darth Prime
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Bronze Bit -
Ruby -

@The Worst Person
Because of the unfortunate reality of needing to do a little bit of clickbaiting to get people to watch videos? Also wonder if you did watch it or just make an assumption based on the title.
Y’know you’re going on about gatekeeping celbs from VAing but I could just as easygoing flip that on you and say that you don’t care about actually voice actors you just want big name celebrities in animated roles.
But that wouldn’t be very nice or true would it?
Darth Prime
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Bronze Bit -
Ruby -

@The Worst Person
Uh the many live-action movies that aren’t an adaption of something? I know those feel pretty rare but they still happen for both movies and TV shows.
Like no one is actually saying live-action adaptions of things as a whole have to stop just live-action adaptations of animated things seem kinda pointless and have a tendency to not turn out well.
I am really struggling to follow your logic here cause there are some pretty huge leaps being made here.
Are saying that if live-action adaptations stops it’s going to somehow put celebrity actor out of work because adaptions when then have to be animated and people don’t like celebrity voice-actors? Cause that is… an extremely ridiculous way of thinking of things.
Like I can’t even fathom that kind of thought process.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
I was just pondering something dumb.
The Brandywine River has more claim to the title of “Lord of the Rings” since I’m pretty sure it held the one ring longer than anyone else.
Kiryu-Chan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
Problem with celebrity voice acting is that voice acting is a completely different form of acting, and most celebrities generally aren’t as good as the people who spent their careers voice acting save for a few exceptions(Samuel Jackson, Mark Hamill, Leonard Nimoy(RIP)). And for a lot of people they feel voice actors don’t get the respect they deserve, and are often snubbed for their big break either by being replaced by celebrities for established characters that already have a long lasting VA(Mario being played by Chris Pratt instead of Charles Martinet), having their characters replaced by new characters voiced by celebrities(most of the original Transformers characters either being excluded or outright killed off in favor of the new characters with celebrity VAs) or probably most insulting, being denied top billing of movies where they’re they play the main characters(MLP and the Ratchet&Clank films are probably the biggest offenders, fans had to fight for the original VAs to be given top billing after being left out for celebrities who were only there for a few lines)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide