The Nerd Thread (comics, movies, anime, cartoons, video games, lore, fun stuff, ect.)

Darth Prime
You are being deceived - Derpi Supporter
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Bronze Bit -
Ruby -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

@Commune  
Yeah they kinda spread themselves too thine across too many player characters I think.  
Like the stuff with Franklin’s girlfriend goes no where.  
And the part of the story where they had to write Michael’s family out of it because there’s a whole portion where he can’t be in Los Santos because Trevor kidnapped Martian’s wife and the two of them will be under constant attack when in the city thus Mike’s family had to be removed from the plot otherwise they would have been a targets.
TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
@Penguin Dragneel  
Yup. *sigh*

@Dex Stewart  
Remember there was also that video they had that said, “I am autism… I work faster than pediatric aids, cancer, and diabetes combined. And if you’re happily married, I will make sure that your marriage fails. Your money will fall into my hands, and I will bankrupt you for my own self-gain.”

They’ve always been trash.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@TheHappySpaceman  
To be honest, I don’t feel one has to have it to play the part. (I feel the same about say you don’t need an actual Scottish person to voice Groundskeeper Willie in “The Simpsons.”)  
I mean Sean Penn played a mentally handicapped person in “I Am Sam,” researched the part, hung around mentally handicapped people, and they even cast actual mentally handicapped people in the movie too.

Though, I understand autism is a bit more… Complex, and isn’t quite the same as other disorders. The mannerisms, communication, and stuff actually varies between autistic people, so I understand wanting an authentic actor, as it would possibly improve the preformance. People whom aren’t well researched on the part, or know little about autistic people might screw it up.

I definitely agree that the actresses’ reactions are toxic, and uncalled-for though… Seriously, some actors/actresses really need to understand they are not better then everybody else, or know everything.
TheHappySpaceman
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
@Beau Skunky  
What I said in the post was:  
As someone who is autistic myself, I personally believe that it’s more important to have autistic directors or autistic writers telling stories about autistic people for authenticity, as opposed to having autistic actors playing the roles. However, lashing out at people who do take issue with her casting choices is utterly despicable.

I do feel like it’s taking away roles that could be played by actual autistic people, though, but I feel like the way the role is written takes a higher priority than who plays the role, and that autistic people can write autistic characters better than neurotypical people.

And yeah, if the people you are trying to represent, while not representing that group yourself, are upset at your choices, maybe you should listen instead of publicly insulting them. Just a thought.

Of course, once I saw that Autism Speaks was involved, I realized that this film didn’t deserve a deeper analysis, and I knew exactly what it was going to be, seeing how it has an involvement from such an inherently garbage company.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
i mean im on the spectrum and i don’t really mind/care if someone who isn’t autistic is staring/directing it.

Sia’s reaction was kind of extreme though and Autism Speaks can still go die in a fire.
TheHappySpaceman
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
@icey wicey 1517  
Kind of extreme? When your reaction to people saying “Hey maybe this isn’t the best portrayal of [insert marginalized group here]” is to insult people from said marginalized group, that’s way more than kind of extreme, at least IMO.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
I just tried to read a bit into the topic, but I feel overwhelmed at this point. Is autism the new “being gay” and do people think that it is “curable” or what does this issue deal with? This may sound offensive, but I really wonder about it, because this is not discussed at all in my home country. With all due respect, I would rely on your opinion here.
TheHappySpaceman
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
@Penguin Dragneel  
As I said, the PETA of autism advocacy groups.

@DarkObsidian  
Sadly, it’s often believed. And it’s the downfall of a lot of “autism awareness” groups that they’re more focused on find a cure for the condition as opposed to making society better and more accepting for people who have the condition. But Autism Speaks is by far the worst–they don’t even have any autistic people on their board.

@WyrmSpawN  
I believe so, yes.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
The thing some people don’t get is, autism is a disorder you’re born with, so it’s not exactly an “easy to cure illness” like chicken pox.

Then there’s the weirdoes/conspiracy-nuts whom think vaccines for children create “autism.” Apparently, alot of movie celebrities are in that camp.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@TheHappySpaceman

Well, having someone with autism on the board aturally requires a certain base and internal structure. Without this prior knowledge, I believe that any attempt to advocate for the needs of autistic people is doomed to failure. In Germany, no one should ever be excluded because of something like this. But I fear there is still too little medical knowledge about this disease for politicians to take it seriously.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@Beau Skunky

Outside of gene therapy, I doubt there even is a “cure”.

Autism is a multi-system disability, affecting several core processes throughout the brain. And we’re not even sure as to the specific methods of action that this occurs.
TheHappySpaceman
Artist -

Sweet F.A.
@Beau Skunky  
@DarkObsidian  
@Zincy  
That’s really the issue. People think of autism as a disease in need of a cure. But it’s A. not a disease that people can just catch (so no, the whole anti-vax thing is BS), it’s something you’re born with. And it’s also not that terrible. There are the really extreme cases, sure, but in the case of like 90% people with autism, just treat them like human beings and don’t be an asshole, and they’ll warm up to you.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide