The Eternal Thread 2.0

O. Hancock
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Penis
From a study at Duke University:

DURHAM, NC—Confirming that the vast majority of U.S. citizens possess either too much or too little patriotism, a new study released Wednesday by researchers at Duke University has found that only 5 percent of Americans feel the correct amount of pride in their country.

The three-year study, which analyzed thousands of casual conversations, online discussions, exchanges at family gatherings, and parade attendance records, concluded that Americans routinely fail to display a level of patriotic sentiment that reflects a balanced appreciation of what makes the United States great as well as what makes it flawed.

“When it comes to expressing national pride, it turns out that only one in 20 Americans gets it right,” study co-author Chris Verbeek said of the small subset of citizens who show an evident level of patriotism for their native land, but who know not to go overboard with it. “Among the remaining 95 percent, a great many feel too little pride in their country, believing the United States is nothing more than an uncaring international bully that’s effectively responsible for all of the world’s problems. And simultaneously, you have people who are so incredibly proud of America they seem to think they’re actually living in a perfect, shining city upon a hill.”

“As it turns out, those who engage in over-the-top, borderline aggressive displays of patriotism and those who endlessly vocalize their disdain for America without once stopping to appreciate that this country grants them the right to dissent in the first place are both off the mark,” he added. “Indeed, we found that having an appreciable, but tempered, amount of pride in the United States is a rarity among the general populace.”

According to the study, approximately 74 million Americans exhibit a degree of pride so excessive that any criticism of U.S. policy causes them to angrily state that people who do not love the country ought to leave it. But the report confirmed this group was matched in size by those whose pride is so deficient that they steer nearly every conversation back to the subject of the nation’s shortcomings, loudly declaring it to be so irreversibly broken that they would be better off moving their family to Canada, or perhaps Scandinavia.

Researchers discovered that individuals in the first category make a point of telling others they only buy products made in the United States, reflexively and repeatedly refer to the U.S. as the “greatest nation on earth,” and pay their bills with patriotically themed personalized checks. The other group, meanwhile, reportedly challenges anyone who professes happiness at living in the United States, vehemently refuses to recognize Columbus Day, and rolls their eyes at most personal displays of the American flag.

“Among those with inappropriately low levels of patriotism, the most extreme refuse to stand for the national anthem at sporting events, while the more moderate stand but are generally annoyed at having to wait if it’s a particularly long rendition of the song,” Verbeek said. “At the same time, those overly proud of their nationality will sing along and often badger complete strangers to remove their hats during the song, with many going so far as to visibly tear up if the anthem is followed by a performance of Lee Greenwood’s ‘God Bless The U.S.A.’”

The study also noted that the percentage of U.S. citizens who possess exactly the right amount of love and admiration for their country has fallen sharply in recent decades and currently stands at an all-time low, having declined from a record peak of 36 percent in 1776.

Ultimately, Verbeek explained, fewer Americans than ever seem capable of feeling good about where they’re from without also believing the place of their birth makes them more important than everyone else.

“According to our findings, those with a correct sense of pride in the United States genuinely appreciate the Founding Fathers but don’t mythologize them, enjoy Fourth of July festivities, and during their lifetime visit at least four national monuments, one of which must be the Lincoln Memorial,” Verbeek said. “In addition, they find the bald eagle to be majestic but don’t feel their heart swell every time they see a picture of one.”

“And notably, we found that Americans with the proper amount of pride each own one pair of star-spangled pants,” he added. “No more, no less.”
O. Hancock
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Penis
@MagpulPony  
Yeah. They look cool too IMHO. The tail design was really innovative. They’d used it on other stuff before, but it’s nice to see on a police chopper.

Actually, what I usually get is these European Airbus Helicopters, uhhhh, EC 135 I think they’re called. Kinda ugly (and not in a good way) except their one in teal and white imho. I live 2 blocks from the hospital and they fly right by on the way to lifeflighting people to Omaha and such all the time. Fairly quiet, all things considered. The one in teal actually managed to make one of them suckers look pretty, and I used to have up close pictures and the November number (tail number) memorized. Can’t find ’em or remember the number now.

Say, you have any aviation museums by you? We got a really nice one here in Sioux City Iowa. This is where Al Haynes (R.I.P.) landed flight 232 back in ’89 with total hydraulic failure by steering the plane (what was normally a good ol DC-10) with nothing but alternating engine thrust. He saved a lot of people that day. They have a nice section dedicated to what happened that day, as well as a lot of other cool stuff.
MagpulPony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

Fuck Russia
@O. Hancock  
There are a handful of aviation museums here, though I don’t think they have the recognition of some of the big ones in places like Seattle or DC. Tbh, I’ve seen and photographed more interesting planes here in Los Angeles just flying over my house.

Everything including but not limited to Presidential V-22s, a P-38 Lightning, B-2 Spirits, the Rutan Boomerang, a PBJ-1J B-25, A-10s, F-15s, Northrop N-9M, AH-1s, UH-60s, Antonov AN-2s, Antonov 124s, B-17s, B-24s, and a lot of other random stuff.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide